Who was Sheffield's last Tommy

On  http://www.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk/ we have records of upwards of 31000 Sheffield men who fought in WW1. Many men still go unrecorded, many just came back and settled back into normal life, some came back and suffered for many years.

Sapper Stanley Clayton died 18/4/2000 at the age of 105, was he Sheffield's last Tommy.

Do you know anybody who survived him?

Did you have a relative who fought in WW1 and survived the war?

Did you have a relative who died in WW1?

Hi Stuart

My husband's grandfather survived WW1. These are his details:

Harry Clethro (written as Clethers on his medals) born 1890 Sheffield. Private 4th Battalion Tyneside Scottish 23rd Northumberland Fusiliers. His cousins were not so lucky.

These were all brothers:

Harry Clethro   Born 1885 Sheffield  Served as a private in WW1 with the 6th Battalion York & Lancs Regiment. On 3rd July 1915 sailed from Liverpool for Gallipoli and landed at Sulva Bay on 6th August 1915. Harry died on 8th August Dardanelles

Fred Clethro  Born 1894 Sheffield. Served as a Lance Corporal in WW1 with 13th Battalion York & Lancs Regiment. Left for France 10th July 1918. Died of gunshot wounds to the head 3rd October 1918 France.

Harold Clethro  Born 1890 Sheffield ( I haven't been able to find his service records to confirm these details) Served as Pte in York & Lancs  Regiment and also Company Sargent Major in KOYLI. Died of wounds 24th October 1917.

Hope this is the kind of information you wanted.

Jenny

Hi Stuart

My husband's grandfather survived WW1. These are his details:

Harry Clethro (written as Clethers on his medals) born 1890 Sheffield. Private 4th Battalion Tyneside Scottish 23rd Northumberland Fusiliers. His cousins were not so lucky.

These were all brothers:

Harry Clethro   Born 1885 Sheffield  Served as a private in WW1 with the 6th Battalion York & Lancs Regiment. On 3rd July 1915 sailed from Liverpool for Gallipoli and landed at Sulva Bay on 6th August 1915. Harry died on 8th August Dardanelles

Fred Clethro  Born 1894 Sheffield. Served as a Lance Corporal in WW1 with 13th Battalion York & Lancs Regiment. Left for France 10th July 1918. Died of gunshot wounds to the head 3rd October 1918 France.

Harold Clethro  Born 1890 Sheffield ( I haven't been able to find his service records to confirm these details) Served as Pte in York & Lancs  Regiment and also Company Sargent Major in KOYLI. Died of wounds 24th October 1917.

Hope this is the kind of information you wanted.

Jenny

​Hi Jenny

Just what is required, slightly confused with Clethro and Clithero. Is Harry (of the 3 brothers) Clithero on the 1911 census?

I cant see any records for Harry (your husbands grandfather) to show his military service

Stuart

Found an MIC for Harry Clethers, is this your husbands grandfather, how do you link him  to your Harry

30850_A000336-02709.thumb.jpg.42bb659104

The medal card you found does belong to my husband's grandfather. We haven't been able to find his service records unfortunately and as you can see there is so much confusion with  the spelling of CLETHRO. I don't have access to Ancestry any more to confirm "Cousin" Harry's details but he was married to Harriet and by that time they had 3 children, Bertha, Rosey and Harold. 

I found this only a couple of weeks ago when I had access to FMP.

mw8nj8AfSrlbEgr71RAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC                                    wHe0R6Gzix+nwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Their mother Emma died in 1916.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Jenny