Highfield House

Lizziejampot

Hi, I'm doing some research on the Wilson fa,ily, who lived at Brincliffe Tower for a time. Prior to moving to Brincliffe they lived at Highfield House, from 1834 to 1854. Any information about Highfield House, it's approximate location and grounds would be gratefully received. Ta muchly.

The residence of the first Chief Agent of the Van Diemens Land Company (Edward Curr), now known as Highfield House.

Interestingly, Edward Curr was from Sheffield 

">43517

Not directly related but one of the Wilson's of snuff fame lived at Middlewood Hall...Worrall. I know because an old friend bought the house and converted it into a hotel.

Firth Park Grammar School also had ,in the late 50s, a "wicked" Head...one H(enry) J(ohn) S(ylvester) Wilson who was reputed to have been a Wilson of snuff fame. May not be of much use but even 60 years on I can still hear and see him!

The Archives have a substantial file on the Wilson Family of Broomhead, the reference number is MD7899/6/2.  It includes two photographs of Highfield House, dimensions: 6 x 10 cm, photographer: W Darkin of Nether Edge, date c. 1880s

Many thanks for the replies - they've been really helpful and  - wearing my Mystic Meg headscarf - I forecast a trip to the Archives in the near future.