Attercliffe Remembered

Unitedite Returns

Dedicated to Boginspro, who now lives in a seemingly remote place, but perhaps, not as bleak as Attercliffe now seems to me today.

Does anyone remember this?

">43503

Or this?

I never lived in Attercliffe but as a child I visited it frequently. I particularly remember the Horse Meat shop ( strictly not for human consumption... for dog food only...but I wonder how much ended up in a stew?) and Attercliffe seemed to have an abundance of "Sale and Exchange" shops, known , by many, as "Swop shops". As a young lad  in the early 1950's,with little pocket money, and a desire to expand my model railway I spent hours "lusting" at the second-hand Hornby Dublo trains in the windows.....Two of them ended up as combined Christmas and Birthday presents!

I started work at the very end of the 50's and saw Tinsley, Carbrook and Attercliffe at their "peak"...never imagining the wholsale changes were ever possible.

Thanks Unitedite Returns , another two great pictures to bring back memories of a place which had great character and friendly people. I am looking forward to more on this post.

I just had a look at these two places on Google Street view and fully understand what you meant by  "not as bleak as Attercliffe now".

I have added this image as a test post, following recent forum issues, and also, as a "teaser".

Do you remember the location of the attached "Attercliffe" doorway, [which it seems was a popular subject for recording in that district, in the mid-1970's]?

Those who look to "Picture Sheffield" for the answer, where a very similar image is kept, will be deemed to have cheated.

">3-Attercliffe Teaser-Doorway-16-09-1972.jpg

I have added this image as a test post, following recent forum issues, and also, as a "teaser".

Do you remember the location of the attached "Attercliffe" doorway, [which it seems was a popular subject for recording in that district, in the mid-1970's]?

Those who look to "Picture Sheffield" for the answer, where a very similar image is kept, will be deemed to have cheated.

">3-Attercliffe Teaser-Doorway-16-09-1972.jpg

​There were so many interesting doorways and other features on the old buildings but this one has me stumped. Unless someone has a much better memory than me we may need a clue.

Well it says Wigfalls on the parking notice and I remember the Wigfalls shop on the corner of, I think, Kimberley Street, near the bus stop opposite Staniforth Road bottom, but it does not appear to be that so I am guessing that this is a building behind Wigfalls or they had a warehouse elsewhere.

The address is 523, Attercliffe Road, and the building portrayed in the above image was once the premises of Alfred A Markham and Son, Funeral Directors.

I do not know as to whether this building still survives today, but yes, it once adjoined Wigfalls, but it was slightly to the rear.

The address is 523, Attercliffe Road, and the building portrayed in the above image was once the premises of Alfred A Markham and Son, Funeral Directors.

I do not know as to whether this building still survives today, but yes, it once adjoined Wigfalls, but it was slightly to the rear.

​Thanks Unitedite Returns , I have now looked on Picture Sheffield and Google Street view and understand where it was, but unfortunately it appears to have gone now. Though I worked on the buses at that time and frequently stopped by Wigfalls I still can't remember this building. I wonder if any of the history experts on the forum will come up with more information on the building and its occupants.

Another well known building, now sadly, long gone, along with its neighbours.

">SLS073-Attercliffe Pavilion Cinema, Attercliffe Common-16-09-1972.jpg

But, does anyone know anything about the rather fascinating premises next door - the window of which is depicted below?

">SLS075-Shop Window, adjoining Attercliffe Pavilion Cinema, Attercliffe Common-16-09-1972.jpg

Anybody got a picture of Attercliffe police station. My dad was a policeman there all of his service and was station sergeant at the end. He was also Town Hall policeman for a short while and used to have his 'mash' in the blue police box there. He loved the people of Attercliffe, all doors always open and you knew where all the criminals lived. The mothers made their job easy for them as a lot of the mothers used to march their sons in to the station for a good talking too and then give them a 'good hiding'  in front of who was on duty and March them out again. 

I remember the old 'Pav' picture house. I lived just to the left of the picture on Berkeley Road until 1954 but my Grandma lived there into the 60s. 

On 20/10/2018 at 21:53, RLongden said:

Than you so much for these pictures, means so much. Remember PC Marshall he finished up an Inspector and lived on our road. He was a stickler and even reported my Uncle for parking outside our house! My Dad PC 124 Frank Roberts spent two days and nights trying to get the poor people out of the cellar of the pub in town that took a direct hit but they couldn't manage it and lime had to be poured in.  Afterwards he set off walking home which was a long way and all up hill. My Mum was so worried she put my sister in the pram and set of walking to the town centre and then saw his legs and boots stuck up over a wall. He was so tired he had sat down and fell backwards over the wall asleep.   Once again thank you so much