Did You Visit Or Work At Meadowhall When It Opened In 1990?

Guest Shannon Cooke

Guest Shannon Cooke

Hi there,

I'm a journalism student at Sheffield Hallam and I'm writing an article that reflects on the soon to be 25 year history of Meadowhall.

As part of my article, I'd love to be able to get quotes from people who were there on the opening day of the centre, (September 1990) whether it be from those who worked there or were mad enough to visit!

So I was wondering if there was anyone on this forum who would be willing to talk to me about their memories of the first day of Meadowhall, it'd be a huge help with my degree!

Thanks!

Guest Shannon Cooke

In you opinion, what's the biggest difference in the shopping centre between then and and now? ☺️

Back then it had a supermarket (where Next is now) and a small group of shops selling other things like fish, eggs and greengroceries so you could do your everyday shop too.

Lyn

I visited in first few days of it opening. Some toilets were strange because they hadn't got ceilings. Was breast feeding my daughter and in the special room sound was so loud put baby off feeding. Husband stuffed his coat into speakers to try to muffle it. Wasn't really impressed as not all shops there and just chain stores. Not like the retail villages such as McArthur Glen.

I miss the dancing sessions they held in the Oasis. Very civilised. I also miss the Rock Island Diner...which was great fun. As for shopping...I prefer to do it in a City Centre !