Could This Be 33 West Bar?

RLongden

From time-to-time, I have a browse through the PS collection of unidentified images, to see if there are any that jump out at me and this one has me intrigued:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20317&pos=160&action=zoom&id=22830

The only reference is 'West Bar', but looking at the incline of the side road and the orientation of the buildings in relation to the main road, I'm wondering if it could be here, where Scargill Croft / New Street feed into West Bar?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.385208,-1.467948,3a,75y,243.4h,91.12t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sALYjGrQNtPZ7eVBA-Xsv2Q!2e0?hl=en

I looked for the addresses in Kelly's & Whites between 1900 and 1911 (the latest I could lay my hands on), but No.33 is a 'maker of false teeth' and No.35 is a hairdresser, when they should be a Govt. Stores and Printers respectively?!

It's a long time ago, but didn't Arthur Turner's gun shop used to be on this corner? I have a vague recollection of gazing through the window as a boy, drooling over the BSA Super Meteor and Air Sporter air rifles on display! We were not allowed in, but one of my pals Dad's used to shoot and we used to have to wait outside. All I remember was the smell of gun oil and leather was fabulous.............. but it may not have been this actual address?

Can anyone shed any light, or have any other ideas please?

How about 147 West Bar? At the corner with Furnace Hill. Harry Short was a Boot Dealer by 1905 (though 147 Westbar seems to have been interchangeable with 147 Gibraltar Street), but up to 1904 he sold government surplus. This might also date the photo as pre 1905?

I first thought of the YDC building, but the architecture looks all wrong (corner angle >90', corner elevation wrong, lintels wrong, roofline not dropped, no vertical stone inserts, etc. etc.)

but other than that, it's plausible?!... lol

Maybe Harry moved premises? Does anyone have any images of 33 West Bar, or the immediate vicinity? Arthur Turners was there up until the late 70's, early 80's I think?

You know Steve HB, if one looked long enough through all the posts on this site, the answer would probably be here somewhere?

This post answered my hanging question about whether Turner's Gun Shop was at 33...

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/323-old-sheffield-shops/page-2#entry3779

I'll keep on trawling..........

Also, just a thought, but does anyone know what buildings were at the bottom of Cupola and Gibraltar Street 1900-1910? That junction looks promising, but can't find any photo's?

Hi RLongden, at the bottom of Cupola / Gibraltar Street in 1911 was St Judes church where some of my family were baptised.

On the other corner was Frederick Horner a picture frame maker [ Cupola / 195 Gibraltar street

147 Gibraltar Street was Harry Short a boot dealer.

Up the little lane Cupola itself was court 2 where Louis Cuneo's ice-cream makers were and in the same court John Frederick Horner

a gilder. [ 1911 ]

In 1854 a John Barker shoe maker was at 147 Gibraltar street

In the Kelly's 1893 edition at No 33 West Bar was Mrs Charlotte Wilson Gun maker on the corner of New St and West Bar

Also listed in the 1879 directory.

Hi RLongden, at the bottom of Cupola / Gibraltar Street in 1911 was St Judes church where some of my family were baptised.

On the other corner was Frederick Horner a picture frame maker [ Cupola / 195 Gibraltar street

147 Gibraltar Street was Harry Short a boot dealer.

Up the little lane Cupola itself was court 2 where Louis Cuneo's ice-cream makers were and in the same court John Frederick Horner

a gilder. [ 1911 ]

In 1854 a John Barker shoe maker was at 147 Gibraltar street

Thanks for the info. Unlikely it could have been in that area then? I did think about the corner of Hicks Lane and Spring Street, but buildings have changes so much in that particular area, it's hard to orientate what could have been where? It's just the uphill side road, off the main road that is the only clue???

Back to the drawing board methinks, but I'm grateful for you taking the time to answer.