Sheffield Trams

Sheffield History

The bus is standing at the bottom of Springfield Road/Millhouses Lane,  The Millhouses Pub is just beyond the tram on Abbeydale Road.

• Thanks 1

My father always reckoned it was a large brown envelope ,from an oil company, which persuaded the City to abandon its trams and go diesel!🥹🥹🥹

I guess there were rumours around at the time, but the heyday of the trams was already past, and systems were closing from the 1920's. By the time the council decided to abandon them most larger cities had already got rid of theirs. The cost of replacement infrastructure meant it was cheaper to go for buses anyway, and by the end of 1960 the only mainland systems left were Blackpool and Glasgow.

6 hours ago, southside said:

The bus is standing at the bottom of Springfield Road/Millhouses Lane,  The Millhouses Pub is just beyond the tram on Abbeydale Road.

Thank you, that has just made me realize that in in the 1970's, I worked in a shop built where that motor bus stands 🙂

2 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

And, of course, a bus could travel on any route.

Until it snowed.   And after Atlanteans and automatic gears there was no hope at all. At least SOME buses got through to High Storrs every morning in the 50s, even if a gang of kids in uniform were pushing at the back.

Well remember buses on Ringinglow Road with the conductor shouting from the back of a Leyland PD3 to jump on as if it stopped it wouldn't get going again!

• Like 1

I’ve just driven through the roadworks at west bar and a load of old tramlines have been exposed near the old firestation. 

It was fascinating to see the photo of Millhouses Terminus.  I'd always understood that the tram terminus was just below Terminus Road between Pringle Rd and Hartington Ave.  In the 1960s that was the number 24 bus terminus.  However, looking at the 1892-1914 25" OS map I see that the tram lines did indeed finish in the centre on Millhouses.  Furthermore, Hartington Avenue, Pringle Road and Terminus Road didn't exist then.  It was always noticeable how the houses changed as you went up Whirlowdale Road past the junction with Hartington Rd.  We lived on the corner of Hartington and Whirlowdale Roads and I walked down WR to the bus stop to go to school and the return journey got off at either Millhouses or the (as I now know, new) terminus.

@SteveHB IIRC there were two shops at an angle, the newsagents and the wet fish shop.  Was it one of those that you worked at?

On 19/07/2023 at 21:53, MartinR said:

@SteveHB IIRC there were two shops at an angle, the newsagents and the wet fish shop.  Was it one of those that you worked at?

Yes,
Boldocks fish poultry and game.

At 4:23 you can see the tram passing Millhouses Terminus and the branch rails crossing the main line to allow the Millhouses trams to turn around.  At 5:46 the driver mentions that the centre of Millhouses used to be the terminus (1902).  Extended to Millhouses terminus (aka Waggon & Horses) in 1926 and then on the Beauchief in 1927.  Bannerdale Rd was my stop for school.

Right at the end I notice that he was deployed to the number 17 (Dobcroft Rd) route.  That went past Millhouses Terminus and turned off right up Dobcroft Rd at the southern end of Millhouses.  Whereas most days I paid 2d for Bannerdale Rd to Millhouses, on Wednesdays it was 3d on the number 17 up Dobcroft for my piano lesson, then a long walk home.