Barnsley To Sheffield By Road -1959

SteveHB

Footage of the road trip is just over 11 minutes long, the rest of the film is an interesting discussion with the films editor Dave Cherry.

Thanks SteveHB

That brought back memories, I drove those roads many times both with buses and previously with motor bike / car when I worked up the arcade off Eldon Street, Barnsley.

Great stuff Steve, I do this journey often and things seemed to have changed a lot in the Barnsley area

but when it passers through Grenoside and Halifax Road it still looks pretty much the same.

Must watch it again.

Is the year (1959) correct for this film. The reasons for my querie are :-

1. - I first noticed a lot of Atlanteans (front loader buses) and I did not think we had so many in '59, though I could be wrong on that one.

2 - If that bus passing Osborn Mushets is 1367 an AEC Regent side loader it is I think it was new in 1964.

3 - I think there are more than on mark 1 Ford Cortinas and I think they were new in 1962.

4 - Possibly HA Viva introduced in 1963.

5 - Possibly an Austin 1100 also early 60's.

I may be totally wrong and I am sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me or confirm my suspicions.

EDIT ADDED.

Also no trams in Sheffield.

What a great piece of home movie history! I'm also leaning towards mid-60's, reinforced with all the reasons everyone has offered above. The 'C' reg. A35 van, spotted by vox, has to be the smoking gun!

They certainly weren't taking any prisoners on that road trip and even though the film was spooling slightly quicker than real-time, they certainly had the 'pedal to the metal'! :)

My particular favourite was exactly 5 minutes in, when they pulled out for the overtake, going up the hill on Sheffield Road, between Worsbrough bottom and Birdwell. They did two cars and a wagon in one manoeuvre and pity we couldn't see the expression on the face of the driver of the MG, who was coming in the opposite direction!

How narrow was Penistone Road in the photo's?

What a cracking 'tache on the Bobby in Barnsley!

Fabulous...

Is the year (1959) correct for this film. The reasons for my querie are :-

1. - I first noticed a lot of Atlanteans (front loader buses) and I did not think we had so many in '59, though I could be wrong on that one.

2 - If that bus passing Osborn Mushets is 1367 an AEC Regent side loader it is I think it was new in 1964.

3 - I think there are more than on mark 1 Ford Cortinas and I think they were new in 1962.

4 - Possibly HA Viva introduced in 1963.

5 - Possibly an Austin 1100 also early 60's.

I may be totally wrong and I am sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me or confirm my suspicions.

EDIT ADDED.

Also no trams in Sheffield.

The first 25 Leyland Atlanteans entered service in 1959. I think they replaced the trams on the Wadsley Bridge to Woodseats route so there would be many seen on Penistone Road in that year. However, as the film is from the mid 1960s there would be plenty more Atlanteans and Daimler Fleetlines on show.

As you point out the AEC Regent being followed on Penistone Road is 1367 (367EWE) which was new in April 1963.

Excellent detective work! I seem to remember that the first of the front-entrance buses appeared in Pond Street bus station when I had already been going to King Ted's for some time, so 1961 or 1962 at the earliest.

Excellent detective work! I seem to remember that the first of the front-entrance buses appeared in Pond Street bus station when I had already been going to King Ted's for some time, so 1961 or 1962 at the earliest.

October 1959. MCWs were the first Leyland Atlanteans to arrive in Sheffield and were 363-368 and 881- 899. Atlantean 369 the Alexander show bus entered service early 1960. It came fitted with electric operated front doors and was also the first Atlantean with saloon heaters fitted as standard. The front entrance AEC Bridgemaster 525 circa 1961 operated out of Pond Street at that time. W/E.

What a great piece of home movie history! I'm also leaning towards mid-60's, reinforced with all the reasons everyone has offered above. The 'C' reg. A35 van, spotted by vox, has to be the smoking gun!

They certainly weren't taking any prisoners on that road trip and even though the film was spooling slightly quicker than real-time, they certainly had the 'pedal to the metal'! :)

My particular favourite was exactly 5 minutes in, when they pulled out for the overtake, going up the hill on Sheffield Road, between Worsbrough bottom and Birdwell. They did two cars and a wagon in one manoeuvre and pity we couldn't see the expression on the face of the driver of the MG, who was coming in the opposite direction!

How narrow was Penistone Road in the photo's?

What a cracking 'tache on the Bobby in Barnsley!

Fabulous...

Brought back many memories, thankyou RLongden. I started traveling that road in the late 40s with my grandad in his Austin 16, I think that Bobby on point duty was there even then. What struck me though was the abundance of petrol stations, from Herrods in Grenoside to Bridge Street in Sheffield there were eighteen. Anyone care to name them? W/E

What a wonderful film, thanks for posting that, I've only just watched it for the first time.  Fleeting glimpse of the old neon sign at Hillsborough.  I started going to Hillsborough on New Years Eve 1966.  Walked back to the station after the match many times to save the bus fare ! and remember all those terraced houses along and behind Penistone Road where the leisure centre is now.  Later on, I went on motorbikes then, of course by car following that route past Presto tools.  

Brought back many memories, thanks.