Anyone Remember The Royal Oak? Walkley

triple a

I Think that is what it was called. It was directly opposite the bottom Freedom (aka Freedom View). It was basically a beer off with a front room with a few chairs and an open fire. You ordered your pint and it was pulled in the shop. Real good crowd around that area at the time.

I remember going there around the early seventies. People did the rounds of the Rose house, top Freedom, Blake, Royal House, Florist, bottom Freedom, Royal Oak and I think another pub called something like Carr house.

Yes I remember that one from the early 70s, I believe they had a football team

were you part of it?

I am trying to remember the landlord and landladies name . . .

Not the Royal Oak but did play for the Rose at some stage. Mainly went in the Royal Hotel and was part of snooker team there.

What great characters they were I was fascinated by some of their stories and antics.

So generous as well and if anyone was short of a bob they would make sure a few drinks came their way.

The landlord "jack" was an ex boxer and at weekends he would put on sandwiches and his sons would play guitar and drums for a very early form of karaoke.

Really do smile everytime I think of those times.

Did you get into the Royal Hotel?

I Think that is what it was called. It was directly opposite the bottom Freedom (aka Freedom View). It was basically a beer off with a front room with a few chairs and an open fire. You ordered your pint and it was pulled in the shop. Real good crowd around that area at the time.

I remember going there around the early seventies. People did the rounds of the Rose house, top Freedom, Blake, Royal House, Florist, bottom Freedom, Royal Oak and I think another pub called something like Carr house.

Started going in there in 1968, it did look like a beer-off from the outside, and as you say, just like someones front room inside. It must have been one of the friendliest pubs I have ever known. We did'nt need a London Road round our way. First there was the Blake then, can't remember its name but it was on a little road between Otley Street and Harold Street, then the Bath, the Royal, the Rose House, top Freedom then called it a night by the time we got in the front room of the beer-off, though sometimes made it to the Belle Vue or was it View? We did not know what we had got did we? W/E.

It must have been one of the friendliest pubs I have ever known

. Know what you mean. People in that area at the time didn't stand for anyone messing them around but were genuine and loyal.

I had forgotten about the Bath and think you were 4/5 years in front of me visiting the areas pubs but you never know we could have met at some stage.

Not the Royal Oak but did play for the Rose at some stage. Mainly went in the Royal Hotel and was part of snooker team there.

What great characters they were I was fascinated by some of their stories and antics.

So generous as well and if anyone was short of a bob they would make sure a few drinks came their way.

The landlord "jack" was an ex boxer and at weekends he would put on sandwiches and his sons would play guitar and drums for a very early form of karaoke.

Really do smile everytime I think of those times.

Did you get into the Royal Hotel?

My brother in law Ian Sanderson was a regular at the Royal, His mum and dad kept the fish and chip shop on Burgoyne Road. W/E.

My brother in law Ian Sanderson was a regular at the Royal, His mum and dad kept the fish and chip shop on Burgoyne Road. W/E.

Now I don't remember the name Sanderson but knew a few Ians and remember going to the chippy a number of times.

Guest broncolives

I played for them for a couple of seasons, great little club with a very good team.

The Eales brothers, Fordy, etc sadly my memory escapes me. Training was playing against uni faculties on the original Goodwin shale pitches under floodlights on Wednesday evenings.

Happy days

Guest broncolives

Hi Uke Lady

Yes John was centre half and his brother Tommy played midfield. i can't remember who washed the kit but one of the guys who ran the club lived just along Walkley st from the pub, he acted as physic. Also on the team that ran the team was a tall guy who worked at the uni estates dept.

Unfortunately my memory of names is rubbish these days.

I was the poor soul that pulled the short straw and washed the kit , I think some just love to roll in the mud :angry:

What about names like Kevin. Daley, Jimmy White, Graham Curl, Syd Greatbatch.

Don't remember those names but there were the Hayes brothers, the McCurdys, the Veach family and someone we used to call Merv the swerve.

Guest broncolives

Kevin Daley was captain whenI played, Think there was a young lad called Bamford or Bamforth (Pete).