Is This Wharncliffe Hospital

Stuart0742

I received this photo today, the sender thought it may be Wharncliffe War Hospital, I am not sure, the buildings don't look correct

The uniforms look correct just the location not sure

I agree the buildings don't look like the Wharncliffe War Hospital .

I've searched through all the old pictures of Wharncliffe War Hospital on picturesheffield but none of them look

like these buildings.

It looks like the rear of a row of terraced houses, so the picture could have been just about anywhere. The men all look mobile though some have crutches. There are also small children in the photo. Possibly a group on an outing or at a social gathering somewhere?

It looks like the rear of a row of terraced houses, so the picture could have been just about anywhere. The men all look mobile though some have crutches. There are also small children in the photo. Possibly a group on an outing or at a social gathering somewhere?

Looks like a Bowling Green, could this be a clue, I would not have thought they would have travelled far. Perhaps just as far as a pub/club which just happened to have a bowling green

I suggested on Facebook that this might be the bowling green on Hands Lane/Hands Road, the houses being on Springvale Road. The Western Road School, which seemed to have been used (in part?) for a hospital, is nearby.

There is also the Commonside Hospital next to the bowling green. Was this used as a war hospital?

Do you mean that you want to paste copied text into the reply box Peter?
If so, it is something which happens to me sometimes as well.
After copying, right click in the reply box doesn't give the paste option.

What I have to do is: type something into the reply box, high-lite it and then right click.

You then get the normal paste option.

The men in the photo are wearing their “going-out” uniform, being able to spend some time outside the hospital. Several canteens and other facilities were created in the city centre for convalescent soldiers.

Here’s a list of auxiliary hospitals in the Third Northern General Hospital, including Western Road. Wharncliffe War Hospital was administered separately from the Third Northern Hospital. (There are lots of photos in Picture Sheffield.) Commonside was one of the “fever hospitals” administered by the city.

UNITS OF THE THIRD NORTHERN GENERAL HOSPITAL

This large military hospital was centred on a ‘Base’ in Ecclesall Road, and also occupied buildings across the city and nearby. Details changed slightly from year to year, but enlargement meant that around 4,600 beds had become available in all sections by 1918. (Bramall Lane Hospital – last in the list below – started work in that year.) Principal locations and sizes of units in 1918 are listed in the sequence of their opening:

Primary units (2602 beds in total)

Ecclesall Road Base, 438 beds

Royal Infirmary, 87 beds

Royal Hospital, 80 beds

Winter Street Hospital, 134 beds

Firvale Hospital, 462 beds

Carterknowle School, 115 beds

Lydgate Lane School, 130 beds

Ranmoor School, 110 beds

Greystones School, 150 beds

Shiregreen School, 145 beds

Firshill School, 150 beds

Western Road School, 70 beds

Ecclesall Infirmary, 200 beds

Endcliffe Hall, 130 beds

Oakbrook Officers’ Hospital, 51 beds

Bramall Lane Cricket Pavilion, 150 beds

Auxiliary and convalescent hospitals

In addition, around thirty affiliated institutions provided about 2,000 beds for less serious cases. Within Sheffield were St John’s Hospital at Dore and the Woofindin Convalescent Home in Whiteley Wood, and outside the city were (for example) Longshaw Lodge at Grindleford, Aston Hall in Derby, Loversall Hall in Doncaster, and the Devonshire Hospital in Buxton.