Osguthorpe Family

Guest cledger

Guest cledger

My Osguthorpe (sometimes Osgathorpe, among other variations) hail from Sheffield, and would be interested in hearing from others who may be tracing their Sheffield Osguthorpes.

Great-grandad Arthur Osguthorpe (1866-1932) was a time keeper/clerk at John Brown's (steelworks?). During WW1, he was a sergeant in the KOYLI training recruits (he had previously served in the regiment). The family lived at 193 Langsett Road and later at 20 Hawthorn Road. He is reportedly buried in "Wadsley cemetery".

Of his children:

- daughter Nora (1908-1995) married Henry HIGH, a bricklayer/builder, and had a son John in 1930.

- daughter Hettie (1898-1948) married Bernard GLOSSOP (1896-1974), a saw smith, and had a son, John in 1925.

- son Albert (1896-1969) married Martha Bradburn (1899-1951) and had a son Arthur (1926) and Nora (1927)

- daughter Jessie (1894-1975) was a dancing instructor

- daughter Mary (1890-1930) married John SWAIN and had several children and moved to Scotland.

- daughter Mary married Henry HOWARD in 1919 and moved to Australia

My 2x great grandad Charles Osguthorpe (1830-1873) was a spring knife cutler who lived on Duke Lane and Rockingham Street/Lane. He married Ellen Biggin in 1849 and is buried in the General Cemetery.

- Clive

Nice work Clive, welcome to the Site.

Arthur Osgathorpe showing as resident at 20 Hawthorn Road, Hillsborough in White's 1919 Directory. (Note mispelling of surname)

Arthur showing as resident at 20 Hawthorn Road, Hillsborough in Kelly's 1925 Directory.

(No, I'm not related to any Osguthorpe's no matter who it ends up spelt).

Charles Osguthorpe, Spring knife manufacturer, 79 Thomas Street (White's 1849)

and

Charles Osguthorpe, pocket German silvercomb mkr., 79 Thomas Street (White's 1852)

May be some extra information for you there; maybe not, hey-ho !

Needs checking that this is your man.

Charles, Osgathorpe, 5, in court, Rockingham Lane, Ecclesall in 1855. (Sheffield Burgess Rolls).

My 2x great grandad Charles Osguthorpe (1830-1873) was a spring knife cutler who lived on Duke Lane and Rockingham Street/Lane. He married Ellen Biggin in 1849 and is buried in the General Cemetery.

- Clive

This census return from 1841 looks like it could be the 11 year old Charles, and father John, at Newcastle street:

and from – September 7th 1850 Sheffield Independent Deaths column:

OSGATHORPE – on the 3rd inst Ellen the beloved daughter of John and Ann Osgathorpe Newcastle Street aged 3 years and 9 months

and from the Independent deaths column of April 29th 1854 : On the 23rd instant at Moonshine, William, the second son of Mr John Osgathorpe of New Castle street

Ann Osguthorpe's death in 1868:

These three records of bank accounts could well be related:

Sheffield and Hallamshire Bank Register (from Sheffield and District Family History Society):

Id: 3729 Surname: SANDERSON Forename: Ann Elizabeth

Street: Dorset Street 25 District: Town: Sheffield

GenID: F Occupation: Saw Maker

Maiden: Osgathorpe

Entry Date: 21/02/1859 ProgNo: 23468 RefNo: 15681

Day: Monday Daughter Of: John

Place of Birth: Newcastle Street

Id: 3730 Surname: SANDERSON Forename: William Henry

Street: Dorset Street 25 District: Town: Sheffield

GenID: M

Entry Date: 21/02/1859 ProgNo: 23469 RefNo: 15682

Day: Monday

Son Of: John Place of Birth: Dorset Street

Id: 6499 Surname: NEEDHAM Forename: Henry

Street: District: Brightside Town:

GenID: M

Entry Date: 28/01/1860 ProgNo: 26121 RefNo: 18334

Day: Saturday

Place of Birth: Pond Lane

and a couple of pieces of information that may or may not be related to this line of Osguthorpes:

Guest cledger

Thanks very much for all the information. Some I had, but others I was unaware of (e.g. Williams death, the banking records re SANDERSON, and the existence of the Burgess Rolls).

Believe Charles is the son of the above mentioned John OSGUTHORPE. Will do a bit of fact checking and post more.

Apologies for delay in replying.

-Clive

Guest Ashley Bett

Hello,

I am also related to Charles. I am his 3x g-granddaughter thru his son Frank. And you?

Thanks,

Ashley Bett

These are two burials at Wadsley parish church.

14 November 1932 Arthur OSGATHORPE (sic) aged 67 of 20 Hawthorn Rd

25 October 1935 Annie OSGUTHORPE aged 62 of 20 Hawthorn Rd.

Guest cledger
On February 15, 2015 at 17:09, Ashley Bett said:

Hello,

I am also related to Charles. I am his 3x g-granddaughter thru his son Frank. And you?

Thanks,

Ashley Bett

Hi Ashley,

Charles Osguthorpe (1830-1873) is my 2x great-grandfather.  I am related to him via his son Arthur (1866-1832). I don't have much on Frank, other than his birth c 1867 and marriage to Mary Ann Chadburn in 1889. I have Florence, Frank, Joseph, and Annie as his children.

Regards,

Clive Ledger

Guest cledger
On February 16, 2015 at 04:10, bonnie said:

These are two burials at Wadsley parish church.

14 November 1932 Arthur OSGATHORPE (sic) aged 67 of 20 Hawthorn Rd

25 October 1935 Annie OSGUTHORPE aged 62 of 20 Hawthorn Rd.

Thanks for this bonnie! Arthur and Annie were my great-grandparents.  I did not have burial dates for either and only family word of mouth as to burial site.  Did you find this on an index somewhere?

Clive Ledger

Hello

It's an old thread now but I have just come across it. 

I have just started on an Osgathorpe line in Sheffield and wonder if it's linked? 

Harry Osgathorpe circa 1886 wife Beatrice Godbehere 1887, both Sheffield. No further details yet as I have literally just started it as a side line for someone. 

Andy

16 hours ago, andydb said:

Hello

It's an old thread now but I have just come across it. 

I have just started on an Osgathorpe line in Sheffield and wonder if it's linked? 

Harry Osgathorpe circa 1886 wife Beatrice Godbehere 1887, both Sheffield. No further details yet as I have literally just started it as a side line for someone. 

Andy

GBPRS_YORKSHIRE_ENGLYOR1D_PR-62-2-19_00205.jpg

On 28/09/2020 at 10:44, andydb said:

Thanks RichardS, I was in sunny Greece when I posted, I found that certificate when I got home. 

Harry is my first cousin 4x removed! My great grandma was Annie Osguthorpe, she married Frances (Frank)Henry Camfield 👍🏻

Hello All

I have been in sunny Greece again and found this article which may be of interest to you, it appears that John Osguthorpe 1823-1884 born Sheffield died in Salt Lake City was a Mormon pioneer.

See this article which has a resume of him (page 1080) and a photo! (page 390)

https://archive.org/details/pioneersprominen00esshrich/page/390/mode/1up?view=theater

Andy

Could this be of any use regarding John Osgathorpe of 18 Newcastle st., Sheffield. He's my Great, great, great, great grandfather (i think) 
Regards,
Andy Osgathorpeimage.png.29f7773208fee4f945ae992606d49231.png