1919 Football Team

Stuart0742

Apart from the obvious clue 1919, I know have no other indication of who this team is

The 2 'officials' on the left and the one on the far right look decidedly Italian. The official 5th from the left looks like a mafia hit-man - or are there just too many flat caps?

Notts County went to play some friendlies in Italy. Juventus loved the black and white strip so much they adopted it for themselves. Just a thought.

Guest Unitedite

The strip definitely appears to be black and white, rather than any other dark colour and white.

If the photograph is believed to be of local origin, then I would venture that the team shown might well be the "reformed" Rotherham County FC, whom were inaugurated into League 2 of the Football League in 1919, and whom existed until 1925, or thereabouts, when they, along with Rotherham Town, I believe, together formed Rotherham United.

In which case, the player leaning over the ball might be H. Lounds, and the player to his immediate right, H. Bailey, and the player to the right of the goalkeeper, W.A. Chambers.

Then again, I might have just put the ball into row Z, and the team might well be one of the numerous local ones that existed at that time.

The postcard was part of a collection to a local soldier, all other cards in the collection were addressed to him whilst in Wharncliffe War Hospital. Therefore I assume it is a local team

Someone might need to take a trip to the central library and go through back copies of the Green Un!

My observations would be that the team look a bit ragged, we have white shorts and black and the guy to the left on the back row either has a different style shirt or is wearing his back to front.

Also, the shape of the socks makes it look like there are no shin-pads so I wonder if the picture was taken after training?

Lastly, the chap in the centre of the front row has a look of Bill Brelsford, the former United player who played for the club between 1909 & 1922.

And his neighbour with the curls also looks familiar to me.........

Probably my imagination, but does the player front row, centre look very like the player 2nd row, right - family resemblance ?!

Hugh