Americans In Ww1 Sheffield.

I've learned that some (the first?) American airmen arrived in Sheffield during May 1918. (USA did not enter the war until 1917.)

Does anyone know why they came here and what they did? My guess is that they were based at Coal Aston aircraft repair depot, acquiring skills before moving on. However, I've not been able to locate any more information.

Any facts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Peter

The American air contingent in WW1 flew mostly British and French aircraft, so it would make sense for ground/maintenance crews to be trained somewhere like Coal Aston.

I've now learned some more. Here's a brief extract:-

American troops also put in an appearance, preparing for service in Europe and elsewhere. A small number of US doctors gained experience in the city’s military hospitals, and in May 1918 around 450 airmen arrived for attachment to Coal Aston airfield and repair depot . On 16 May, these were treated in the Town Hall to afternoon tea with the Lord Mayor and civic dignitaries, followed by speeches, patriotic cheers and the two countries’ national anthems. American Independence Day (4 July) saw a baseball game between two American teams at Bramall Lane. This event, watched by around 20,000 people with proceeds to American and British charities, also included an athletic competition between US and UK troops, singing and folk-dancing by Sheffield school-children, and military and popular music from the two countries. It closed with the ‘Star-Spangled Banner’ and ‘God Save the King’.