Industry On Wilfrid Road, Darnall

Calvin72

Not so much gone as still standing empty and silent! I took a photo but it is not great so does anyone have the wherewithal to take a shot from 'street view'? Anyway most of the street is dominated by a large industrial building looming over one side of the road. What was it? And when?

I always understood that they were a part of a large complex of crucible furnaces... which was owned by Kayser Ellison?

Thanks....I remember buying steel from Kayser's before the merger with Sanderson Brothers and Newbould and selling steel to William Makin's... whose works were on Darnall Road.

Kayser was A German who came to Sheffield to make his fortune...which he did. He bought, lived in and extended the Brushes, latterly, the late and very lamented home of Firth Park Grammar School.

Thanks....I remember buying steel from Kayser's before the merger with Sanderson Brothers and Newbould and selling steel to William Makin's... whose works were on Darnall Road.

Kayser was A German who came to Sheffield to make his fortune...which he did. He bought, lived in and extended the Brushes, latterly, the late and very lamented home of Firth Park Grammar School.

lysander.

Whereabouts were the main gates to Kayser Ellison, were they on Darnall Road?

Flash Earth

We need the maps!

I'm not in the mood for creating a 1950's jigsaw map at the moment, think it will need 3 or four maps to cover the area.

Meanwhile here's a c.1903 map.

Flash Earth

Great map - i know the area well and something that catches the eye is that Bawtry Road has gone and a park occupies the site. There is however a tiny stretch of the road at the Darnall Road end left and that has a sign saying 'Bridport Rd formerly Bawtry Rd' - so not just renamed but so nearly gone. On the other side Makin Rd has been renamed Allende Way after the Chilean leader overthrown and killed by Pinochet in 1973.

I'm not in the mood for creating a 1950's jigsaw map at the moment, think it will need 3 or four maps to cover the area.

Just thrown together to cover the site in question.

1950's, reduced in size.

Thanks for the map.There are no obvious entrances to the works on Wilfred Road or Shirland Lane...but there appears to be one on Darnall Road.

Must confess I never knew there was a Bawtry Road in Darnall....the one I know is in Tinsley. I wonder, could the name have been changed when Sheffield took over Tinsley in the boundary change of 1918? :unsure:

Darnall Road, 1905.

............ Canal aqueduct ............

Turner P. T. & Co. Limited, glass bottle manufacturer.
84 Goode James, (j) bricklayer.
86 Milner William J. fitter.
88 Rhodes Benjamin, coal dealer.
92 Goude George, (j) bricklayer.
94 Ramsden William, fitter.
Nicholson Benjamin & Sons, steel, file & tool manufacturers.
98 Swallow John, steel melter.
100 Newton Thomas, draper.
102 Newton Herbert, file grinder.
Court 2
106 & 108 Barber Jobn, grocer.
Cleveland square
Sanderson Bros. & Newbould Lim. steel manfrs.
146 Burdett William, labourer.
150 Bunnett William, furnaceman.

Wilfrid Road

In 1934 Sanderson's transferred their part of Darnall works to Kayser Ellison and the two companies finally merged in 1960. Incidentally, Sanderson's produced the steel to manufacture the "Stalingrad Sword of Honour".... made by command of King George 6 as a personal gift to the "steel hearted" citizens of that city.

One of those photos shows the side view in 1972 as exactly the same as now. Amazing how long some of the old industry remains can stand deserted and unused for so long.

My maternal grandpa was general manager at Sandersons during the wartime years, I never met him as he died before my time, but one of the possessions that came my way eventually is a 1907 pattern bayonet that family rumour says was made from the same batch of steel as the Stalingrad Sword. Any comments?

One melt of steel would be far more than was needed to form the sword, so I can't see any reason why other items couldn't have been made from it. The 1907 pattern bayonet was manufactured throughout ww2 by Wilkinson's ( who made the sword) so no reason why it couldn't have been made from the same melt!

Incidentally WILFRID Rd is called WILFRED Rd on the A to Z. Also the road that turns off it is called WILFRED Drive, both in reality and the A to Z.

Incidentally WILFRID Rd is called WILFRED Rd on the A to Z. Also the road that turns off it is called WILFRED Drive, both in reality and the A to Z.

Incidentally it was me who changed the street name in the topic title from Wilfred to Wilfrid,

and I also nototiced that Wilfred Drive was off Wilfrid Road.

So is it Frid or is it Fred?

I walked down this road today to see if any addresses matched either name - the mosque near the the top is in WILFRED Rd but then i noticed that the street signs,which are new,contradict themselves! The one at the top says WILFRID and the one at the bottom says WILFRED。Someone with my obsessive attention to detail can be driven to distraction by such things!

I walked down this road today to see if any addresses matched either name - the mosque near the the top is in WILFRED Rd but then i noticed that the street signs,which are new,contradict themselves! The one at the top says WILFRID and the one at the bottom says WILFRED。Someone with my obsessive attention to detail can be driven to distraction by such things!

:blink:

The plot thickens - anyone got any ideas who, or what, either Wilfred or Wilfrid are, or were?

Does either name have a Sheffield link? By the way you got to love where threads can go sometimes :)

The plot thickens - anyone got any ideas who, or what, either Wilfred or Wilfrid are, or were?

Does either name have a Sheffield link? By the way you got to love where threads can go sometimes :)

I think we can safely say that Wilfrid is the original name, and that any Wilfred's are late additions to the area.