Boots Yard ?

Guest Barbara M

Guest Barbara M

Does anyone know where Boots Yard , Middle Heeley was , as my Great Grandmother was living there in around 1863 .

Thanks in anticipation as it will help to build the picture of my mothers family.

William and Charles Boot were in business in Heeley as stone masons in the mid 1800's, until they went bankrupt in December 1864. William was also a Guardian and constable. His address was 20 New George Street, Little Sheffield and presumably he had a yard to run his mason business.

Small ad from September 1863:

Wanted, Twenty good QUARRYMEN, used to Cutting and Seapling. Apply to W. and C. BOOT, Heeley.

Maybe you could check if your Great Grandmother was recorded near William Boot in the 1861 census? Was the stone mason trade in your family?

Two census sheets from 1861 include Boots Yard, with the quarry owning Boots living there. Following the enumerators walk,- London Road (Bridge Inn), Sheaf Street, Sheaf Bank, Prospect Road, Views Road, Bailey Mount, London Road, Great Oak Street, Boots Yard, Great Oak Street - the Yard was on Great Oak Street - now just Oak Street.

Guest Barbara M

Thank you for this info , I have looked on the Ancestry Census 1861 & Boots yard had 4 houses . One my G G G Grandfather William Lowe who was a File Cutter , he lived in one with his wife & family including his daughter my GG Grandmother Martha age 2 , Charles Boot age 34 Mason & Family lived next door & next door to him was William Boot age 37 Mason & Builder & the last house was uninhabited.

The family are not on the 1871 Census as living at Boots Yard ,so presume William Boot had gone bankrupt by then , the Census just says Derbyshire Lane.

I will let you know if if I find anything more . Thanks again .

Two census sheets from 1861 include Boots Yard, with the quarry owning Boots living there. Following the enumerators walk,- London Road (Bridge Inn), Sheaf Street, Sheaf Bank, Prospect Road, Views Road, Bailey Mount, London Road, Great Oak Street, Boots Yard, Great Oak Street - the Yard was on Great Oak Street - now just Oak Street.

attachicon.gifBoots Yard 1861.jpg

attachicon.gifW and C Boot 1861 Census.jpg

"For many years the Boot family owned a farmhouse at the top of Oak Street near the junction of Well Road, most the farm was demolished leaving just one long low building , when Oak Street Chapel was built on the site in 1871 the remaining old building was converted into two classrooms and survived until the 1970's as a community room, above the door was a lintel carved with the inscription "I.S. 1658".

Info from Heeley History Workshop

Guest Barbara M

It's amazing how much information we have on Sheffield History . thank you Edmund & Steve for all this , I never expected to find all this out just from a simple address !!!

Henry Boot, the son of Charles Boot (farmer and mason) created Boot Construction who have their Reg Office at Banner Cross Hall