How Would I Find?

togger

Evening all,

Question:

How would i find who was living on Niagara Road Wadsley bridge in Sheffield on the 1901 census if i had no idea of any house numbers or persons names?

I am sure that there must be a way, but i am at a loss of how to do it.

Using Find My Past you can search all the census using a street name.

I don't think this search is available on Ancestry.

Angela

It was named or adopted in the 60s as far as i can gather. The houses on there now were built in 1959, so the council will have adopted it after then?

Hello Togger,I dont know if this is of any help , but a schoolfriend of mine used to live there in the early 50s his name was John Illingworth. His dad ran a carpenters buisness from there , they seem to have been established for quite a long time . the workshop was close to the entrance to the Niagra sports ground, which used to belong to the Sheffield police.Try using the name Illingworth on Electoral rolls .hope this is of help. Thats the way to do it.

Here's how to do it on ancestry. On the ancestor search box. Leave the name blank. Type the road and place in the location box. In the birth year put a date the year of the census or the year before of the one you want. Press search

It will then give you some results. Find the census you want and the road you want. It doesn't have to be too close to the road you want (if it doesn't turn up) just in the area.

View the census image.

You will see at the top the area the census covers. For example on one for Wadsley Bridge 1901 that I have just found it says at the top "Yorkshire - Ecclesfield - District 15."

If you click on any of these headings it will give different options. For example under district 15 it lists all the other numbers and also the Wortley Workhouse.

You can also go through the pages using the keys on the census.

1901 Dir.

Niagara Recreation Grounds

Hugh Grayson- proprietor

George Staniforth- clerk Niagara ho.

Arthur Stringer- manuf. Niagara Works

Thank you.

I have also found out that there was a NIAGARA HOUSE as can be seen on the map attached but am finding it difficult to find on the Census........can you help here please?

Thank you.

I have also found out that there was a NIAGARA HOUSE as can be seen on the map attached but am finding it difficult to find on the Census........can you help here please?

George Staniforth age 38-clerk in estate office -Forge Yard- R13- 4334- 43

Not sure that he lives in the house as it does not say on the Census "Niagara House" it states 'Forge Yard' and i cannot for the life of me begin to wonder where forge yard is?

On the map it shows 'Niagara Yard' and 'Builders Yard' but no Forge yard. Are we to assume that Forge Yard was Niagara House?

Not sure that he lives in the house as it does not say on the Census "Niagara House" it states 'Forge Yard' and i cannot for the life of me begin to wonder where forge yard is?

On the map it shows 'Niagara Yard' and 'Builders Yard' but no Forge yard. Are we to assume that Forge Yard was Niagara House?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=niagara+forge+sheffield&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487978ddd97f8db5:0xd706fd8f93de993b,Niagara+Forge,+Clay+Wheels+Ln,+Sheffield+S6+1LZ&gl=uk&ei=igLoUv2ZGdLxhQe7-YG4CQ&ved=0CGcQtgMwCg

That thread that Steve posted a link to (post#14 above) has loads of detail particularly for the 20th century. It also has the sale notice for the house and pleasure grounds in 1896. I just found the obituary of the deceased owner who apparently built it (or the grounds anyway):

(Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 9 Apr 1896)

Could Forge Yard be part of Lepping forge as shown on this 1894 map, also Enumerators Discription for 1901 census pages Rg13 4334-43.

Thanks all it has been a great help, but i am still no wiser as to when the Niagara House was actually built. I will continue my research and report back

Cheers