National Projectile Factory, Templeboro

lysander

I am researching weapons production in Sheffield during WW1 and wonder if anyone has more information about this place ( latterly Sheffield Steel Products Ltd) It employed 5,000 women workers, was managed by Thos. Firth and produced an enormous quantity of artillery shells. :)

Important FIVE DAYS SALE BY AUCTION OF Over 900 Valuable MACHINE TOOLS AT The National Projectile Factory TEMPLEBOROUGH 1 SHEFFIELD

18th November 1919, The Times

The Times › 18 November 1919 › Page 44 - Newspapers.com
www.newspapers.com/newspage/33289251/‎

Important FIVE DAYS SALE BY AUCTION OF Over 900 Valuable MACHINE TOOLS AT The National Projectile Factory TEMPLEBOROUGH 1 SHEFFIELD ON ...

Plot ... lost...

Total employment there by October 1918 was 5693, 60% of them women, but from 25th November 1918 they were on short time and the workers gradually discharged. They made mostly 60 pound and 4.5" shells.

Their in-house magazine was "The Bombshell" and there are 132 images from it on Picture Sheffield, including photos of the works and workers.

The hyperlink doesn't work but enter "bombshell" in the Search Picture Sheffield box at top right of their website.

Elsie Langley, a married woman who started work there in March 1916, dropped a shell on her toes whilst lifting it (April 21st 1917) and was off work for 2 days. She had a similar accident on 21st August that year when a shell rolled off a bench.

Women's football games were held, both internally between the shops, and with other factories.

Sheffield Steel Products was a consortium of ten firms that took the factory over from Firths in 1918.

Guest TheBotanical

Was the magazine different to the Journal Devoted To The Interests Of The Employees Of Thos. Firth and Sons Ltd?

Guest TheBotanical

My query is because I am wishing to explore the relationship between the magazine and the press regarding the sports that the women became involved with.

Was the magazine different to the Journal Devoted To The Interests Of The Employees Of Thos. Firth and Sons Ltd?

​I think "Journal Devoted To The Interests Of The Employees Of Thos. Firth and Sons Ltd" is just a quote from Lomax's book "The Home Front - Sheffield in the First World War" , describing the Bombshell magazine.

Guest TheBotanical

Does anyone know the title of other in-house journals that ran at the same time as The Bombshell?