Optimistic

RichardB

I am sure I have seen it in either Sheffield Scene or Waterstones for a couple of quid

I am sure you are right. I seem to remember it was quite a small, thin book anyway so there can't be a lot in it.

We don't need it anyway, - we are fluent speakers of the language.

I've got a copy, I'm rich!!! Actually come to think of it I loaned it to my son-in-law who's from Brum way so he can converse with the daughter and the rest of us...

I've got a copy, I'm rich!!! Actually come to think of it I loaned it to my son-in-law who's from Brum way so he can converse with the daughter and the rest of us...

Easier for him to learn Sheffield than for all the rest of us to learn that boring, monotone, dry, Brum!

Easier for him to learn Sheffield than for all the rest of us to learn that boring, monotone, dry, Brum!

To be fair he's actually from nearer Lichfield, far enough away from Brum to be intelligible and able to take the michael out of true brummies.

To be fair he's actually from nearer Lichfield, far enough away from Brum to be intelligible and able to take the michael out of true brummies.

In a survey about accents a few years ago Brun was voted the least popular and people who spoke it were considered "dull, slow, boring and not very intelligent" by people who didn't speak it.

So a regional accent can give something of a good or bad impression about you to other people as soon as you open your mouth and say something!!! :o

Unfortunately, the same survey did not mention the Sheffield accent at all! :angry:

I don't think people outside Yorkshire are aware there are distinct accents within God's own county.