Fitzalan Square 1965 - 66

Guest pfn

Enclosed is a drawing I did of Fitzallen Square in the mid 60s. At the time I worked as Assistant Display Manager at C & A's on the High Street, and this was the view I got from the junior managers canteen window.

As you can see the Sleep Shop is just getting a new delivery of Sleepeeze mattresses, while Wigfalls next door know doubt has the latest black and white TVs on sale. The Classic Cinema is still there (formerly the Cartoon Cinema) and showing was a Carry On film, and a 1956 movie 'Somebody Up There Likes Me' starring Paul Newman.

What a great sketch pfn, thank you for posting it.

Accurate too, - just as I remember it. I had an aunt who worked in that branch of Wigfalls (still selling and renting Bush TV and radio in your sketch) and later at their other branch on Snig Hill.

Enclosed is a drawing I did of Fitzallen Square in the mid 60s. At the time I worked as Assistant Display Manager at C & A's on the High Street, and this was the view I got from the junior managers canteen window.

As you can see the Sleep Shop is just getting a new delivery of Sleepeeze mattresses, while Wigfalls next door know doubt has the latest black and white TVs on sale. The Classic Cinema is still there (formerly the Cartoon Cinema) and showing was a Carry On film, and a 1956 movie 'Somebody Up There Likes Me' starring Paul Newman.

Thats an excellent drawing - did you ever do anymore?

Ta for the compliments folks. Thanks also for the link to the cold stores photo Steve, I forgot to mention them. I think I did some other Sheffield based sketches here and there, but not sure if I still have them or not. Sadly I never did another drawing from that rather excellent viewpoint though. I did intend to do a sketch looking the other way, up the High Street towards the hole on the road but I left C & A's in 1967 before ever doing it.

In actual fact that scan is not quite the whole drawing as I never quite finished drawing the GPO building to the right of the square. Maybe I should finish it and do a rescan!

Ta for the compliments folks. Thanks also for the link to the cold stores photo Steve, I forgot to mention them. I think I did some other Sheffield based sketches here and there, but not sure if I still have them or not. Sadly I never did another drawing from that rather excellent viewpoint though. I did intend to do a sketch looking the other way, up the High Street towards the hole on the road but I left C & A's in 1967 before ever doing it.

In actual fact that scan is not quite the whole drawing as I never quite finished drawing the GPO building to the right of the square. Maybe I should finish it and do a rescan!

Please do if you have the time - it would be good to see.