Woodthorpe Arms 1906

philkai

From the Sheffield and Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Monday, September 1st, 1890

THE SUICIDE OF A BANKRUPT AT INTAKE.

Mr. B. Bagshawe. deputy coroner, held an inquiry on Saturday, at the Woodthorpe Arms, Intake, into the circumstances attending the death of Fred CartIedge, a farmer and publican,40 years of age, who committed suicide on Thursday by hanging himself.

Lydia Cartledge, widow of the deceased, said she last saw her husband alive on Monday. On the morning of that day he seemed very excited, and told her he “would make her know before Wednesday". Thinking that he might do something to her, she took the children with her and went to live at a brother’s house at Dronfield. About five weeks ago the deceased was made a bankrupt, and since then a bailiff had been in possession of the Woodthorpe Arms of which the deceased was the landlord. The deceased had been in the habit for along time past of taking drink. A fortnight ago he was attacked with delirium tremens and since then witness thought that he was not responsible for his actions. She had never heard him threaten to commit suicide, but she suspected that he would do so.

Samuel Robinson, of No. 52, Campo lane, stated that he was a bailiff, and had been in possession of the Woodthorpe Arms from the 7th Aug. During that time he had not seen the deceased the worse for drink, although at times he seemed very strange in his demeanour. On Saturday week: the deceased used abusive language towards him, and also threatened him. Last Wednesday, the day when he should have met his creditors, he was very excited, and said he should not go to the meeting. About two o’clock on Thursday afternoon witness told the deceased that as he had not been to the meeting somebody from the Official Receiver’s office would come up and see him. At this he became more excited than ever. He afterwards said he should go upstairs and have a rest. The deceased went upstairs, and about an hour afterwards a man named Svdney Flowers came to see witness. He stopped talking with him about an hour, and then, not having heard anything of the deceased since he went upstair , they both went to see if he was all right. The bedroom door was fast, and after much difficulty they succeeded in getting it open, and found the deceased tied to the bedpost dead. A piece of rope was put round his neck, and fastened to the bed post, and the deceased had then slipped down the side of the bed, and thus strangled himself. The deceased was dead, and a policeman was sent for, and came and cut down the body.

Sydney Flowers, miner, Intake. said he knew the deceased. About three o’clock on Thursday afternoon he was talking to the last witness outside the Woodthorpe Arms and after staying with him for about an hour, witness asked him where the deceased was. Robinson replied that he had gone upstairs about two hours previous to have a sleep. He then told him that he ought to go upstairs and see if he was all right, which he did, and witness followed him. The bedroom door was fast, and he pushed it open a few inches, and found that the deceased had put the bed against the door. The door was ultimately opened, and then they found deceased hanging to the bedpost dead. Last Tuesday week the deceased had an attack of delirium tremens, and witness then stayed in the house with the bailiff all night. The deceased was “like a madman, and tried to worry the carpet." He got his teeth fastened in a corner of the carpet, and pulled a large piece of it off with his teeth. He had seen the deceased drunk on several occasions, and added that he was scarcely ever sober.

The jury returned a verdict of "Suicide whilst of an unsound mind"

I remember going there in the 1970's at Christmas because I had 2 friends who played brass instruments (trumpet / cornet) and they were playing carols there.

Glad to hear he got his cornet back....

Thought I'd better lighten the mood after the suicide story.

In February 1892 Mrs Cartledge was up in court for permitting drunkeness - she had supplied Eckington butcher Samuel Elliott with three glasses of rum and milk. Within a few months the licence had been transferred to George Dungworth, although Mrs Cartledge was still working behind the bar:

Thanks again for all the information.

Would the farm and pub have been rented from the woodthorpe estate. Later census shows them at Plumbly farm but cannot see that on the map.

We have also found the death notices for James Skelton and a couple of others.

Thomas lindly who was (we think) Eliza Skelton's step-father she was born Eliza Ludlow in Buckinghamshire. Thomas ran a 60 acre farm at Birley Moor. there is also another for a Sarah belliwell who we have no idea if or where fits into the puzzle.

Tried to upload notices but getting "upload skipped (error500) "message

Thanks again for all the information.

Would the farm and pub have been rented from the woodthorpe estate. Later census shows them at Plumbly farm but cannot see that on the map.

There is a Plumbley Lane and a couple of farms by the name at Mosborough.

Link to Flash Earth

Just looking at the census, James ran a 57 acre farm employing one man and also a servant.He and his wife also had several young childred and I assume the farm was not next door to the pub. I myself work full time (well 36 hours) and we struggle to find the time to dig our, small by comparison, allottment.

I realise this was before the european worktime directive but how did they manage to combine the two in the days before tractors and the super-tram?

Glad to hear he got his cornet back....

My mate played in brass band like the Salvation Army types and they played carols in the pub as it was Christmas.

If I'm listening to someone playing the cornet personally I would prefer Bix Beiderbeeck.

Cornet... prefer a 99 myself... ........i'll get my coat sorry could'nt resist

I have connections to the Cuneo family, Sheffields oldest ice cream company (since 1864).

So cornet, ice cream sandwich, 99 or any other sort of iced confectionary no problem.

Now, would you like "a fourpenny one"?

If I'm listening to someone playing the cornet personally I would prefer Bix Beiderbeeck.

For those who don't know, this is Bix Beiderbeck

An early Jazz pioneer he made recordings in the 1928 to 1931 era.

He died young in 1931 from alcoholism. He had been rejected by his parents because they didn;t approve of Jazz music, even though Bix was brilliant at it.

His work today would be almost forgotten, except for Jazz buffs, as he is mainly remembered from a couple of TV series in the 1980's starring James Bolam, "The Beiderbeck Tapes" and "The Beiderbeck Affair"

Buit as with all music, to really appreciate his talent on the cornet you have to listen to the recordings.

Sorry Bix does nothing for me, prefer a little quiet guitar music myself, preferably by the fine scotish pioneers Angus and Malcolm Young. Athough a close friend and fellow song writer Bon also died of alcohol related problems early in life they themselves continue to produced and entertain together for almost forty years. I myself have visited the Sheffield Broadwalk to witness tributes to the said artistes and remain a little hard of hearing to this day.

If the "four penny one " is still on offer I will be there tomorrow ..... is there sauce and nuts with that?

On a serious note I would like to thank all the contributors on here for all their help. Names on census records have now become real people thanks to you.

If the "four penny one " is still on offer I will be there tomorrow ..... is there sauce and nuts with that?

A "four penny one" is a local saying. To give somebody a "fourpenny one" means to give them a good thumping.

(Or, it could be said in conversation "You're asking for a forpenny one", meaning, - you're going to get a good thumping)

I threw the saying in to see if anyone would notice that it had that meaning.

I don't think you would get an ice cream cornet four 4d (which is what the saying actually referred to) or even 4p (which is over twice as much as 4d) anywhere these days, - not even without the sauce and nuts! :(

Sorry Bix does nothing for me, prefer a little quiet guitar music myself, preferably by the fine scotish pioneers Angus and Malcolm Young.

That's OK, everyone to their own preference.

However, the link I posted to "In a mist", allegedly by Bix, links to a piano piece and not Bix on cornet so I have removed the link. I will post a link to one of his cornet pieces if I can find one.

Its a good job it it wasn't an ice cream got stuck on M1 for over an hour nr M18 so it would have melted before I got there. Worse still it meant I didnt get time to get over to the cemetary. Oh well they have waited 150 years another few months wont hurt

On 16 October 2012 at 8:50 PM, DaveH said:

Is this your picture? If so would you be happy for me to use it in my book on Sheffield pubs? Let me know- pm or email sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

On 16 October 2012 at 8:50 PM, DaveH said:

Nice picture history dude, just as I remember it.

Before it closed, and was later demolished, it turned into one of those silly theme pubs.

I remember going there in the 1970's at Christmas because I had 2 friends who played brass instruments (trumpet / cornet) and they were playing carols there.

It is currently a small housing unit built on the same site.