John Banners Department Store - Attercliffe Road

Guest detrius

Guest detrius

Hi People

I am looking for the history and memories of Banners Department store on Attercliffe Rd,Attercliffe.

Just done a piece on my youtube,Video 26 with my young memories.Please take a look and drop me a reply. :blink:

What are your memories, and memories at Christmas time, shopping there.

Thank you

Andy :)

post-465-1179690128.jpg

post-465-1179690167.jpg

att_pic_25.1__video_25.jpg

att_pic_25.2__video_25.jpg

Guest plain talker

I remember the wooden escalators. I STR that Banners were about the first in Britain to get escalators.

As my mother and her family were Atterclievians :hihi: we spent a lot of ti,e in Banners. My mother used to walk me along attercliffe to my grandfathers house, by carbrook school, We'd get off the bus at Staniforth Road, and walk all along the 'cliffe. If I was really lucky we'd stop off in Banners. It was like aladdins cave to a three year old!

(plus it broke up the trek we'd do)

It always seemed such a long way to walk, to me, as a little girl of about three. I'd fix my eyes on Carbrook school, in the distance, and keep reminding myself that that was where we were heading, and that it was getting closer... it was probably just over a mile, but my little legs didn't half ache.

Was it Banners that had the tube system, Where you paid for your goods and the assistant put the money in a plastic container placed it in a tube and it sucked it through some pipes then returned with your change and receipt or am i thinking of some other shop??

• Like 1

Guest wisewoodowl

Yes, that was Banners. That tube system used to fascinate me, simple things and simple minds, etc, etc :)

Guest detrius

I remember the wooden escalators. I STR that Banners were about the first in Britain to get escalators.

As my mother and her family were Atterclievians :hihi: we spent a lot of ti,e in Banners. My mother used to walk me along attercliffe to my grandfathers house, by carbrook school, We'd get off the bus at Staniforth Road, and walk all along the 'cliffe. If I was really lucky we'd stop off in Banners. It was like aladdins cave to a three year old!

(plus it broke up the trek we'd do)

It always seemed such a long way to walk, to me, as a little girl of about three. I'd fix my eyes on Carbrook school, in the distance, and keep reminding myself that that was where we were heading, and that it was getting closer... it was probably just over a mile, but my little legs didn't half ache.

Hi Plaintalker

I know what you mean,that was one long walk.After coming home from the various WMC with my parents we would always walk at night.My Dad didn,t believe in taxis.He would give me a shoulder ride untill my legs were numb .and then i would have to try and walk up the ginnel.Its one long road Attercliffe road when your little

ThanksAndy M :rolleyes:

Guest detrius

Hi Plaintalker

I know what you mean,that was one long walk.After coming home from the various WMC with my parents we would always walk at night.My Dad didn,t believe in taxis.He would give me a shoulder ride untill my legs were numb .and then i would have to try and walk up the ginnel.Its one long road Attercliffe road when your little

ThanksAndy M :rolleyes:

Hi Wisewood Owl and Syrup

Be great to get a photo of the money tube system now ey ?? Going to drop them a line and see

Thankyou

Andy m ;-)

Guest echo

Was it Banners that had the tube system, Where you paid for your goods and the assistant put the money in a plastic container placed it in a tube and it sucked it through some pipes then returned with your change and receipt or am i thinking of some other shop??

That system was called Lamson Paragon and still exists today. It can be seen in Wilkinsons, Morrisons etc. Now used by the check out people to get money from their tills to cashiers. I remember when it travelled on overhead wires in Woolworths, Haymarket.

Guest detrius

That system was called Lamson Paragon and still exists today. It can be seen in Wilkinsons, Morrisons etc. Now used by the check out people to get money from their tills to cashiers. I remember when it travelled on overhead wires in Woolworths, Haymarket.

HI ECHO

I have just looked this system up on google,brilliant.tahnkyou so much for the info.exc reading

Best Wishes

Andy m ;-)

There used to be a "rejects" shop just down from Banners (1970's), towards town, what was it called ?, was there a Burton's on the corner also, opposite the Carlton pub ?

Guest detrius

There used to be a "rejects" shop just down from Banners (1970's), towards town, what was it called ?, was there a Burton's on the corner also, opposite the Carlton pub ?

Hi richard b

The reject shop was and still is Hitchens Ex Catalogue shop(was once littlewoods) most of my clobber came from there.Think burtons was on the corner of Attercliffe/Staniforth road opposite the bank.Also one next to the adelphi cinema too

Cheers Matey

Andy m :rolleyes:

Guest plain talker

You are correct, on all three counts, Hitchens is still there,

The Burtons on the corner of Staniforth Rd is now a furniture shop, the Burtons by Zion Lane near the Adelphi is now a car-spares place.

The stonework on both buildings is quite ornate, a lot of effort went into making the buildings look special. it's a pity that buildings today don't have as much effort put into them, instead of being soulless, identikit boxes.

Guest Kathryn_1956

Hi

This is my first posting so I'm not sure whether this is right. I saw your enquiry and just had to reply, my mum worked for John Banners when she left school in 1948 she remembers them also having a shop near the bottom gate of the Northern General Hospital.

I too remember the tube system that took your money to the cash office as there were no tills in the shop. Does anyone also remember the Banners cheques you used to get from the agents that called at your house, you could only spend them in their shop and if they had to give you change it would be in Banners own currency (funny shaped brass colured coins)

If I get any other info I will let you know.

Kathryn

Hi

I too remember the tube system that took your money to the cash office as there were no tills in the shop. Does anyone also remember the Banners cheques you used to get from the agents that called at your house, you could only spend them in their shop and if they had to give you change it would be in Banners own currency (funny shaped brass colured coins)

Kathryn

Hi Kathryn - thats interesting I didn't know about the other shop. Are these what you remember?

Guest Kathryn_1956

That them, I was always so excited if I was given them to spend in the shop

Kathryn

Hi Andy,

A few facts you might not have come across.

John Banner founded the business in 1873, just as the population of Sheffield began to grow rapidly with the big steelworks opening.The shop moved to Attercliffe Road in 1894, and was replaced by the present building in 1934. It was the first building in Sheffield to have escalators. With the local population having dwindled with local housing being demolished in the 70's, so did the business, and it finally closed in 1980. I can remember going there in the fifties as a child. We lived at Firvale, and went shopping to Attercliffe, and Banners in particular, rather than going into town.

Bayleaf

(Info from Sheffield Shops and Shopping by Ruth Harman)

Thanks for the great pics Andy. What a shame fine buildings like this are left neglected :-(

On the subject of tube systems and wooden esculators it reminded me very much of Coles on the Coles Corner site which had them. I too was fascinated as a kid in the late 1950s watching them wizz around the shop. The great thing about wooden esculators (not sure if the old Coles had them) is that they all had their "own song" and unique noise. I can almost here them now.

Guest loopysue

Banners is the place I went for my school uniform, I remember wanting to go into 'town' for mine as everyone else said thats where they went....until I saw the 'top girl' from school at Banners picking hers!!!!!

Hi People

I,m looking for the history and memories of Banners Department store on Attercliffe Rd,Attercliffe.

Just done a piece on my youtube,Video 26 with my young memories.Please take a look and drop me a reply. :blink:

What are your memories,and memories at Christmas time,shopping there.

Thankyou

Andy :)

I remember Banners vividly at Christmas. The company I was apprenticed to Sheffield Electric put the christmas trees up on the overhang every year. Health and safety wasn't in it we used to swing off the roof to tie the trees down which were about 20ft tall. We then had to stick the lamps on - no mean feet. This happened every year until one windy year when the trees fell and took out the power lines that used to go down that side of Attercliffe Road. For some reason we were never asked back!! lol

Guest detrius

Hi All

Sorry been a while since i have been back on the site.Exc stuff i like the xmas tree bit..just think it would be happening soon to what with xmas just around the corner.getting all nostalgic again.Down t Jacksons food hall in Banners for our turkey and trimmings lol

Cheers

Andy m

Guest lyndloo

I worked at Banners in 1964!! in the boys dept my bosses name was Les Armour .we sold alot of Beatle Suits .remember the ones without a collar ? it was Beatle hysteria .. I was 18 at that time ...and I remember the tube system ... and the pink Provident Cheques and there was another one if I recall called Shillito?? it was Green ...I remember Mrs Newbould was the buyer for the materials and Patterns . and my sister Janice worked down on the ground floor on cosmetics .. her buyers name was Mrs Smith ... My best friend at that time was Mary Goddard .. she worked in Handbags dept ... we had so much fun back then ... ..

My mother use to take me and my sisters for our Whitsun tide clothes [once a year rig-out.]

Most families used Banners cheques, just another way of paying weekly.

Blanchards did a similar thing

This is a painting of old Banners done by my brother.

• Like 2

Hi richard b

The reject shop was and still is Hitchens Ex Catalogue shop(was once littlewoods) most of my clobber came from there.Think burtons was on the corner of Attercliffe/Staniforth road opposite the bank.Also one next to the adelphi cinema too

Cheers Matey

Andy m :rolleyes:

was the building that used to be Hitchins a Woolworths prior to Hitchins, it has a woolies looking frontage

This is a painting of old Banners done by my brother.

and a fine painting it is, Thanks to you (and your brother, of course).

More Sheffield paintings, say I.