Edgar Allen & Co

Edmund

I believe that my grandfather worked at Edgar Allens on Shepcote Lane, probably til the mid 50's, he'd have been 65 in 1955. His name was Joe Wilkinson, and he was lollipop man at Wincobank School when he retired.

I have his stainless steel cufflinks which were presented to him ( we originally thought for 25 years service, but now think that the '25' refers to something to do with the firm rather than Joe's long service) - (see poor photo) . They have a logo of a leaping deer - this was the 'STAG' trademark for Allen's engineers tools range. We think Joe was involved with the first of a special batch of Stainless Steel - apparently he ground the first ingot of stainless (why they'd want to grind ingots I don't know).

I've not found much information about Edgar Allens & Co (Wikipedia info at http://en.wikipedia....Allen_&_Company , Graces Guide info at http://www.gracesgui...ar_Allen_and_Co ). Looking at old maps, all their premises were called 'Imperial Works' despite them being spread over several sites. Who was Edgar Allen?

I'd be interested to hear any memories of any Edgar Allen workers, especially in the tools division.

I used to go to Edgar Allen Tools on Holme Lane where they made carbide tipped engineering cutting tools that were used for metal turning lathes, shapers etc. The machines I serviced were used for brazing the carbide on to the metal shank. Later on the machines were moved to a building on Shepcote Lane inside the Edgar Allen railway engineering works. After the development of replaceable carbide tips the amount of tools with the carbide permanently fixed to the shank declined. Edgar Allens had many interests in Sheffield including steel manufacturing, Rolling Mills, a foundry and track for railways as well as turning tools. There was also an Edgar Allen Institute on Gell Street that dealt with physiotherapy after injury. I believe it became part of the NHS but retained the name. The Edgar Allen Group was bought out by Aurora, a gear manufacturing company. Under Aurora Edgar Allens slowly declined until nothing was left.