What School Did You Go To And Has It Changed Much Since You Left ?

Sheffield History

Guest shelagh scholfield

I remember Brenda when she was older.I looked at the photo and kept going back to the one of Brenda,now I can recognise her!! .I would love to know what happened to her.She was so kind to me when I was small.I am sixty one was anyone in my class? Jacqueline Roe looks familiar ,Did she live on Langsett Rd?

List of forms, in order G-D.

GROWLSUNITED Chaucer, early 1970's - what's all that about then ?

I was in "G".

List of forms, in order G-D.

So if you were in G and that is the first letter of the sequence was that the cleverest form or the thickest? lol

Guest shelagh scholfield

watching the opening of the Olympic games tonight reminded me of dancing around the maypole at Philadelphia in the assembly hall.I think it is a pagan ceremony,strange activity in a christian school.Does anyone recall the climbing equipment set up occasionally for P.E. I think it was called superla.

watching the opening of the Olympic games tonight reminded me of dancing around the maypole at Philadelphia in the assembly hall.I think it is a pagan ceremony,strange activity in a christian school.Does anyone recall the climbing equipment set up occasionally for P.E. I think it was called superla.

I don't recall the " superla " but I do remember dancing round the maypole , I didn't half get my ribbons in a twist. lol

I went to Morley Street school, then Malin Bridge, both are still there. But then we moved and I spent a couple

of years at Birley Spa, which had altered quite a lot when I last drove past it. And then I was another to spend a year

at Frecheville before moving across to merge with Thornbridge to become Birley.

The old Frecheville school was a handy place to go wagging it, on the very few occasions that I did, of course.

The teacher I remember above all of them was Mr Jepson from Birley Spa.

Guest wheresspot

I went to nursery at Philadelphia School - demolished.

Malin Bridge Primary - still there and looking much the same from the outside. One of the sheds in the junior school yard has gone though, plus the infant's playground has changed a lot.

Wisewood Secondary - demolished.

Loxley College - stood derelict the last time I saw, although I know they've built a new school next door to replace Wisewood and Myers, so not sure if they will now demolish the college.

Overall, not a great survival story - and I'm only in my 30s!

Guest wheresspot

Was Meadowhead School previously known as Jordanthorpe School, maybe Boys and Girls as there were 2 old Meadowhead Schools on the same site before being replaced by the present school.

That's exactly right. My dad went to Jordanthorpe School - it changed it's name to Meadowhead, but it was exactly the same school. The top end was the boys school I believe and the newer building towards Batemoor was the girls school. Then it became co-ed and I believe the pupils had to walk from one building to the other (I seem to remember it being quite a way and quite exposed). But all demolished now and rebuilt in the middle I understand, which was previously the playing fields.

I attended Waltheof Comprehensive on the Manor from 1966 to 1970. It appears that it had a reputation for sadistic teachers, but I thought it was the norm. You only have to look at the Sheffield Forum and the huge section on Waltheof to realise that it had a problem. My Dad gave me a pocket diary at Xmas and I took a note of the strokes of the cane and slipper I got from returning to school at the beginning of January and breaking up at Easter ... 138. It was for silly things such as running in the corridor, arriving late, chewing bazooka gum in class, talking in class etc etc.

The head ran a tight ship because of where the pupils were drawn from. Looking back I am thankful for the education I received in the basics. I spent the last few months of my school life in Chesterfield because of a family move and when I got there they could hardly read and write. They had Liberal Studies, what was that? We watched a TV program and then discussed it. Unheard of at Waltheof.

I remember Mr Shipley, the maths teacher at Waltheof. You had to have permission to breathe in his class. Mr Cooper comes in for some criticism for some reason. I stated in Mr Mawson's class. He said that he was a Somme veteran and lost all his friends in under half an hour. But, I cannot find him on any rollcall for the Sheffield City Battalion. That doesn't mean that he wasn't there. Mrs Furness was our form teacher in the 4th year and took art. Happy days.

I believe Waltheof burn down from an arson attack in the 90's and was rebuilt. Its been completely demolished and has been rebuilt as Park Hall and has come in for some criticism from OFSTED. All that is left are memories.

Kevin

I attended Waltheof Comprehensive on the Manor from 1966 to 1970. It appears that it had a reputation for sadistic teachers, but I thought it was the norm. You only have to look at the Sheffield Forum and the huge section on Waltheof to realise that it had a problem. My Dad gave me a pocket diary at Xmas and I took a note of the strokes of the cane and slipper I got from returning to school at the beginning of January and breaking up at Easter ... 138. It was for silly things such as running in the corridor, arriving late, chewing bazooka gum in class, talking in class etc etc.

The head ran a tight ship because of where the pupils were drawn from. Looking back I am thankful for the education I received in the basics. I spent the last few months of my school life in Chesterfield because of a family move and when I got there they could hardly read and write. They had Liberal Studies, what was that? We watched a TV program and then discussed it. Unheard of at Waltheof.

I remember Mr Shipley, the maths teacher at Waltheof. You had to have permission to breathe in his class. Mr Cooper comes in for some criticism for some reason. I stated in Mr Mawson's class. He said that he was a Somme veteran and lost all his friends in under half an hour. But, I cannot find him on any rollcall for the Sheffield City Battalion. That doesn't mean that he wasn't there. Mrs Furness was our form teacher in the 4th year and took art. Happy days.

I believe Waltheof burn down from an arson attack in the 90's and was rebuilt. Its been completely demolished and has been rebuilt as Park Hall and has come in for some criticism from OFSTED. All that is left are memories.

Kevin

My wifes old school from almost the same period (1967 - 1972).

She has some good memories of the place and, being a girl, a well behaved one at that, perhaps came in for less of this sort of harsh punishment for fairly minor things

It was not just Waltheof though, - this sort of treatment which would be classed as child abuse these days was fairly common in many City schools at this time.

However she does NOT fully share my love of science / physics and she puts this down to the dread and fear of a certain Mr Battye who was her science teacher.

I went to Grange Grammar School for girls off Abbeydale Road South in late 1950s.

It was made up by two large houses in very large grounds where other required buildings, eg gym, library, prefabs etc had been added.

One house was Victorian 'The Grange'. The other historical 'Holt House' with an ornate porch & stately staircase, said to have an underground passage to Beauchief Abbey. I even have a postcard of them.

Nearby in the grounds was rival Abbeydale Grammar School for girls & during my time there Abbeydale for boys was built through our woods.

I am amazed to learn that these no longer exists. Surely there was opposition to demolish Holt House at least. :o

Guest PorkyPig

I went to Jordanthorpe (later renamed Meadowhead) School between 1983 and 1988. In my day there were two buildings, named "North" and "South". Long before my time the South building (in Batemoor) was the girls school and North building (in Jordanthorpe/Meadowhead) was the boys school, but it was all mixed in my day, and we had various lessons in each building which took a few minutes to walk between. There was no school uniform, it was dropped the year I started I think. The head was Ken Cook, based mainly in the North building. The deputy head was based in the South, but I forget his name. The South building had three entrances; East, Middle and North, with a toilet just inside each door which you had to walk past to get onto the corridor. My God, the East toilet and whole entrance area absolutely stunk to high heaven of stale urine. You had to hold your breath as you walked past, it really was that bad. It was never disinfected the whole time I was at the school, I never understood why.

As with most schools, some teachers were nice, some weren't. Teachers who's names I can remember: Mr Jones (Maths), Mr Pollard (Maths), Mr Spencer (Maths), Mrs Dudley (Geography), Mr Prior (English), Mrs Ditchburn (English), Dr Scaife (Chemistry), Mr Beresford (Biology), Mrs Payne (French), Mr Hensby (PE), Mr Farrell (PE), Mrs Newman (music), Mr Freemont (Chemistry).

Rowlinson School was across the road. We didn't encounter Rowlinson kids very much, but when our paths crossed fights would break out. Rowlinson kids usually won, they were tough!

At lunch time, we'd sometimes pop to the shops at Meadowhead. There was a chippy and a newsagent. The woman who worked in the newsagent had a prosthetic hand. There was often a sweets van (like an ice cream van but with sweets) parked outside the North building selling cola bottles and alike.

Sometimes for PE we'd have to do a "cross country" run, which involved running around the local park (Graves Park).

Pupils at Jordanthorpe came from junior schools in Greenhill, Lowedges and Bradway (Sir Harold Jackson). I was a Greenhill kid.

Since my time at the school, both the original buildings have been demolished, and a new school building subsequently constructed a bit further back from the where the North building used to be. There's now an Audi car dealership where the old North building was.

Welcome to SheffieldHistory PorkyPig and thank you for posting.

I have tried in the schools section to cover all the schools in south east Sheffield that I have either attended or have some connection with and for many of them there is plenty of detail.

However, Jordanthorpe is a school which hasn't been mentioned much and we would love to hear more about it.

Thanks for posting

DaveH

I went to Pipworth Road School.  Never seen this mentioned before, but   It is still there, halfway up Prince of wales road.  Every time I pass, I always point out the class I started in  at 5yrs, and the class I finished in, at 14yrs. I am now 86.  I did my full schooling there.  Outwardly, it doesn't appear to have changed at all.  Love to tour around it now though , just for old times sake.  I honestly believe that I had a top class education at that time, and do not believe that it has improved much since.   The surrounding, area which was our playing field and woods, which we used to explore,  has now been changed to The Parkway, leading to the M1.   It was a happy school with dedicated teachers who did their job well.  Strange that I used to travel there by Tram Car which cost 1/2p in old money (1/5 of a new penny).   I will have to get my memory going.  There is lots more to tell when I think about it..........  Gordon Ashall                                                   

On 25/04/2012 at 08:57, Sheffield History said:

Many schools have been knocked down/replaced recently so thought it would be interesting to start a thread and find out which school you went to in Sheffield and whether it's still there..

Knocked down

Which one did you go to and what do you remember about it ? St Georges C of E

Is it still there or has it gone ? gone

Has it closed down ?

Has it been replaced ?

What teachers do you remember ? Mr Cotton, Mrs Wardlow. Mr Loy, Mr Wright

I can't believe I haven't contributed to this topic until now!

I went to Gleadless Primary and was amongst the first to move over to the new Middle School over the road. Both are still standing; even the pre-fab classrooms at the back of the original school site seem to be still there.

Secondary school was Ashleigh, with both the Lower and Upper Schools having been demolished and replaced by housing.  

I started at Rivelin Middle School,Mr Biggin was the headMaster, great bloke,then onto Myers Grove Comprehensive was a great school in its time Mr Yates, headmaster?????