Stanley Jepson - Heeley- American Indians

miked

Interesting challenge ?

Weston Park Museum holds a good number of fantastic American Indian artefacts donated by Stanley Jepson of Meersbrook Park Road. Sheffield............. Mystery surrounds this collection since they only know that ;-

He was a famous baritone and a scoutmaster at Ann’s Road Primitive Methodist Church, now

St. Andrews Methodists

He is listed in the 1933 ‘Who’s Who in Methodism’, which suggests he was either a

minister or lay office holder.

He showed his collection at a Missionary exhibition 1955.

THE BIG QUESTION IS.- HOW DID HE ACQUIRE HIS COLLECTION? Was he a missionary? Can anyone help please?

Thank you.

Mike

Stanley C. Jepson, Teacher of Singing, 99 Meersbrook Park Road White's 1919, Kelly's 1925 and Kelly's 1957.

Never heard of him, so thanks for bringing him to our/my attention. No idea about the anser to your question. but hopefully we'll at least have a look for him.

On February 13th (1935), Mr. Stanley Jepson organised a Parents' Concert on behalf of the Scout Troops. Miss Ida Bloor gave a very effective rendering of several well-known songs. Mr. Alan Morton displayed his fine 'cello technique in a series of solos, among them being Saint Saens " Le Cygne " : Mr. Clifford Kemshall gave the Carmen " Flower Song " and Miss Gertrude Gilpin gave us, among other numbers " The Cloths of Heaven " by Dunhill and " Morning ' by Speaks. We then heard a vocal quartette, a trio and two duets.

King Edward Vii School Magazine

Is it just possible he went off to the USA for a while ?

Ludden Prizes

Awarded to the winners of the first three places in the freshman-sophomore oratorical contests.

First Place : Stanley Jepson

Second Place : Ruth L. Cole

Third Place : Roy Sanford

Honors and Prizes announced on Cap and Gown Day, May 29, 1941.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making no claim whatsoever, other than someone called Stanley Jepson was in Minnesota in 1941.

Hi and thanks Richard

Could all be useful. odd thing is, its recent history, a lesson for us I think.

Been down to local studies, nothing

I wonder if there are any Jepsons left in Heeley? or any of his old scouts

The number of artefacts perhaps suggests he did live there a while, some Blackfoot stuff, so far left.

At least its on here now and someone might see it who knows.

The other lesson I suppose is, don't donate things without telling people where they were from. I dare say the curators may have asked more at the time. We don't know. Collection may have just been sent.

Intriguing don't you think?

Thanks for efforts

Mike

His name was actually Stanley Cole Jepson. He was born in Heeley in 1891 and is listed in his call up papers as a travelling commercial singer. He married at the Primitive Methodist Church in Anns Road. He moved from 55 Meersbrook Park Road in 1901 to 99 Meersbook Park Road in 1916. There is still a Stanley Jepson listed there in 1952.

He is listed in the same house from 1916 continously to 1952 at least. Perhaps he went on a singing tour in the USA and was given them as a present?

Still there in 1957 - see post #2.

Nice addition Syrup.

His name was actually Stanley Cole Jepson. He was born in Heeley in 1891 and is listed in his call up papers as a travelling commercial singer. He married at the Primitive Methodist Church in Anns Road. He moved from 55 Meersbrook Park Road in 1901 to 99 Meersbook Park Road in 1916. There is still a Stanley Jepson listed there in 1952.

He is listed in the same house from 1916 continously to 1952 at least. Perhaps he went on a singing tour in the USA and was given them as a present?

1962 ? He could have been at my Christening but probably not ... in my mind I'm 28, my body thinks I'm 87, I think I know which one is closer to the truth.

I can't add much to the origins of the artifacts but can tell you a little about the man himself.

A friend (87) had singing lessons (for soprano)from him during the period just before the WW2 to just before the war ended, although could have been after as well but her memory is hazy on this. He was one of the resident singing teachers at Wilson Pecks, along with Ida Bloor and Eva Rich (not sure of the spelling), although most of the lessons took place at his home in Meersbrook. She says he had a magnificent Bass-baritone voice and at her request would occasionally sing for her "The Flea" and songs by Paul Robeson (Old Man River etc), in fact she said Mr Jepson's voice did sound like a cross between the latter and the lighter tone of Lawrence Tibbett.

She says he did not appear to have or mention any family, although she probably refrained to enquire such personal details at that time.

She also says that he had display cabinets in the rooms but has no recollection of what might have been in them.

Perhaps it was to do with his Scouting connections, There was for instance a World Jamboree in Canada in 1955. Perhaps it was given to him as a presentation there.

He was married on 3rd June 1916 to Mary Ellen Bradshaw of 137 Richards Road at the Primitive Methodists Anns Road. But from his army records when he was discharged there is no mention of children then but there is a Charles W A Jephson born to them in 1921. He died in 1964 in Sheffield.

Hi,

Well done, Thanks, I am adding it all together and will give to the Museum with credit.

The artefacts were donated in 1955. We now know he was born 1891, did he die around this time?

Experts have suggested most, if not all to be of “Northern Pains” origin, possibly Blackfoot or Cree and they date mainly from around the late 19th to early 20th centuries.

mike

I have that he died in 1965 in Surrey. He definitely was in the telephone book in 1962 so could not have been a bequest,

If he had gone to Jamboree and been given them he could have deposited them on his return in 1955?

Hi

I found this forum today while researching a trip to Sheffield.Stanley Jepson was my Grandad, he left Sheffield in the 1950's to come to live with us in Surrey. I'm fascinated by this Native American connection, as far as I know he never went out of the country but I will see if I can find any more information.

Hi

I found this forum today while researching a trip to Sheffield.Stanley Jepson was my Grandad, he left Sheffield in the 1950's to come to live with us in Surrey. I'm fascinated by this Native American connection, as far as I know he never went out of the country but I will see if I can find any more information.

Thanks Dianam and welcome to the forum. We enjoy a mystery but it's nice to eventually get an answer. Any information would be gratefully received!

1911 Census - at 55 Meersbrook Park Road, a commercial traveller for a druggist and something unreadable - any offers?

Best I can come up with would be Digsalter, could it be the name of the druggist he was working for?

I can't add much to the origins of the artifacts but can tell you a little about the man himself.

A friend (87) had singing lessons (for soprano)from him during the period just before the WW2 to just before the war ended, although could have been after as well but her memory is hazy on this. He was one of the resident singing teachers at Wilson Pecks, along with Ida Bloor and Eva Rich (not sure of the spelling), although most of the lessons took place at his home in Meersbrook. She says he had a magnificent Bass-baritone voice and at her request would occasionally sing for her "The Flea" and songs by Paul Robeson (Old Man River etc), in fact she said Mr Jepson's voice did sound like a cross between the latter and the lighter tone of Lawrence Tibbett.

She says he did not appear to have or mention any family, although she probably refrained to enquire such personal details at that time.

She also says that he had display cabinets in the rooms but has no recollection of what might have been in them.

He performed on Local Radio can we asume this would have been live or did they have recording facilities at that time ??

The Times Friday, Mar 06, 1925 Programmes,

The Times Friday, Aug 14, 1925

The Times Tuesday, Apr 19, 1932

The Times Friday, Aug 26, 1932

The Times Tuesday, Apr 18, 1933

The Times Wednesday, Jan 17, 1934

My theory is that it was as a Scout Leader that the native american outfit came to him. there was a Canadian World Jamboree.

On 10/23/2012 at 09:33, Dianam said:

Hi

My apologies, I have only just seen your post, I thought the thread was dead. Did you find out any more about your grandfather? He must have donated the collection before he moved to Surrey. Do you have any correspondence, photos or any indication that he was perhaps on missionary work in Canada? Can you give me your email address and I will send you some museum pics.

I have a very small collection of First Nation artefacts... all given to me on trips to visit my wife's family in Canada...who just happen to be the descendants of Princess Mary (Strawberry)Moon the daughter of a Mohawk chief who was killed in the mid 1800's in a fire on the Mohawk Territory of Tyendinaga. I am an honorary member of the Turtle Clan. Given the way our Museum has failed , miserably, in my eyes to even tell the story of our City in a satisfactory way they will remain in the family after I have gone to meet the maker!:rolleyes:

21 hours ago, lysander said:

I have a very small collection of First Nation artefacts... all given to me on trips to visit my wife's family in Canada...who just happen to be the descendants of Princess Mary (Strawberry)Moon the daughter of a Mohawk chief who was killed in the mid 1800's in a fire on the Mohawk Territory of Tyendinaga. I am an honorary member of the Turtle Clan. Given the way our Museum has failed , miserably, in my eyes to even tell the story of our City in a satisfactory way they will remain in the family after I have gone to meet the maker!:rolleyes:

Is there a Joseph Brant connection here?  I have had a life long interest in the Wharncliffe collection and I managed to see it the other day after a period of 8 years trying. Sioux and Chippewa mainly. One of the Wharncliffes visited the (now) six nation reserve in 1828 the other did a buffalo hunting trip in 1850.

Have you documented what you have? I would be very interested in reading it if you have.

Thanks for message.

mike