1870 Census Search Help

hilldweller

I'm trying to find out about a lady called Charlotte Reaney who died early 1879, aged 70, somewhere in Ecclesall Bierlow.

Any information about other people living with her at the time of the 1870 (or earlier) census would be appreciated.

HD

1871 (Image is VERY faded)

Ancestry transcription reads Beaney but someone with the username Martinrodgers has added that its Reaney, but they don't have any trees online.

Reads:

George Reaney, Head, Aged 50, Table Blade Grinder, born Birmingham, Warwickshire

Charlotte Reaney, Wife, Aged 62, Born Sheffield

Address looks like 223 Langsett Rd

I couldn't find a death entry in 1879 - I think she died in December 1878:

GRO Deaths DEC Qtr 1878

REANEY Charlotte 70

Ecclesall B. 9c 199

Burials at Burngreave (from Sheffield Indexers):

REANEY, Charlotte (Daughter of Samuel Reaney, age 1).

Died at Langsett Road; Buried on March 31, 1870 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 27, Section V6 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Reopened 989.

REANEY, Charlotte (wife of Geo Reaney, age 70).

Died at 223 Langsett Road; Buried on December 29, 1878 in Consecrated ground;

Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: reopened 989.

REANEY, Clara (Daughter of George Reaney, age 13).

Died at Langsett Rd; Buried on November 11, 1862 in Consecrated ground;

Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: .

SCOTT, Walter (Son of Walter Scott, age 2).

Died at Langsett Road; Buried on February 14, 1869 in Consecrated ground;

Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Reopened 989.

Hugh

1871 Whites direc there is a George Reaney Grinder, maybe the son.

At 43 Sarah St, coincidently thats the same house as my Gt Grandmother lived on the 1911 census.

..and that could be her mother and brother in the 1841 household.

Not sure why George isn't buried in the same grave. This may be him:

REANEY, George (T B Grinder, age 77).

Died at 46 Balaclava Road; Buried on September 2, 1891 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 105, Section W of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: S.

Buried with people called DUNWELL/DUNWILL and HILL.

Two baptisms from Indexers:

Reaney, Elizabeth (of Sheffield, born 1836-11-18).

Baptised May 24, 1837, by W F Wilkinson at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Charlotte & George (Grinder).

Reaney, George (of Sheffield, born 1835-01-19).

Baptised February 22, 1835, by Wm Carter at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Charlotte & George (Grinder).

Hugh

Sheffield Independent

Saturday 19 April 1834

MARRIAGES

I assume this is at Sheffield Parish Church. The date would be April 17th.

Hugh

Age doesn't quite fit (1841 census ages often rounded and quite unreliable), but there is this from Sheff Records online, General Cem:

Elizabeth GREAVES

Widow, 193 Western Bank

Same source, the Joseph from the 1841?

James Hughes GREAVES

Son of Joseph & Harriet Greaves, Club Gardens

Francis GREAVES

Caster, 100 Green Lane

Harriet Madellen GREAVES

Daughter of John Greaves, Chaser, 101 Green Lane

Joseph GREAVES

Brass Founder, 268 St Philips Road

Harriet GREAVES

Widow, 246 St Phillips Road

Thomas Robert Nutt HAWKSWORTH

Son of William Blackburn Hawksworth, Cutler, Cambridge Street

Grave G2 99

Hilldweller hangs head in shame. :ph34r: The family member who gave me the information and was sure of it's accuracy has now found the black edged funeral card and admits he was "a bit out"

The lady in question was called Catherine Reaney (not Charlotte) and was interred in Dronfield Churchyard on 29 May 1877, she was 77 years old and died on 26th May.

Apologies to all those who "chased" the other lady and I will quite understand if Hilldweller is told to take a hike (on his scooter).

HD

Hilldweller hangs head in shame. :ph34r: The family member who gave me the information and was sure of it's accuracy has now found the black edged funeral card and admits he was "a bit out" The lady in question was called Catherine Reaney (not Charlotte) and was interred in Dronfield Churchyard on 29 May 1877, she was 77 years old and died on 26th May. Apologies to all those who "chased" the other lady and I will quite understand if Hilldweller is told to take a hike (on his scooter). HD

Hope you still need this, But i can find nothing for 1871.

1861 Census.

1851 Census.

1841 Census.

FOR consideration ONLY,no claims.

Hope you still need this, But i can find nothing for 1871. 1861 Census. 1851 Census. 1841 Census.

Thank you Syrup & RichardB, that just about sorts it all out. Family lore has it that she ended her days at her son's pub called the Hearts of Oak.

Great stuff ! lol

HD

Thank you Syrup & RichardB, that just about sorts it all out. Family lore has it that she ended her days at her son's pub called the Hearts of Oak.

Great stuff ! lol

HD

Is that what it says ? :unsure: lol

Is that what it says ? :unsure:lol

Sorry to be a bore but SWMBO now "requests" that I find out about her great grandma.

When I can get down town to the Archives I understand I shall be able to buy some look-up credits but meanwhile I'm trying to find out the name of the mother of Charlotte Morris who was born in 1883 in a little cottage at the bottom corner of School Road, Beighton. The cottages are still standing. I'm particularly interested in the maiden name of Charlottes mother. Family lore has it that she was a daughter of Henry Pawson the Sheffield publisher and printer. We have a family photo of a very well dressed woman who is believed to be Mary Pawson, Charlottes mother, who died giving birth to Charlotte.

HD

For consideration ONLY.

Sorry to be a bore but SWMBO now "requests" that I find out about her great grandma. When I can get down town to the Archives I understand I shall be able to buy some look-up credits but meanwhile I'm trying to find out the name of the mother of Charlotte Morris who was born in 1883 in a little cottage at the bottom corner of School Road, Beighton. The cottages are still standing. I'm particularly interested in the maiden name of Charlottes mother. Family lore has it that she was a daughter of Henry Pawson the Sheffield publisher and printer. We have a family photo of a very well dressed woman who is believed to be Mary Pawson, Charlottes mother, who died giving birth to Charlotte. HD

For consideration ONLY, may reduce the search a little.

Sorry to be a bore but SWMBO now "requests" that I find out about her great grandma. When I can get down town to the Archives I understand I shall be able to buy some look-up credits but meanwhile I'm trying to find out the name of the mother of Charlotte Morris who was born in 1883 in a little cottage at the bottom corner of School Road, Beighton. The cottages are still standing. I'm particularly interested in the maiden name of Charlottes mother. Family lore has it that she was a daughter of Henry Pawson the Sheffield publisher and printer. We have a family photo of a very well dressed woman who is believed to be Mary Pawson, Charlottes mother, who died giving birth to Charlotte. HD

Brilliant that RichardB, my wife has copies of the funeral cards of all those mentioned there.

If you could find something similar for the 1881 census then we might be in business.

When I put the name Charlotte Morris born 1883 into the Ancestry site it tells me the names of the parents are available for a fee. Unfortunately I've got a pathological aversion to continuing subscriptions. I shall try and buy a few tokens or whatever the're called.

HD

If I may just say, I have absolutely no idea what any of this means - that's your job; pleasure to be able to try to help.

Brilliant that RichardB, my wife has copies of the funeral cards of all those mentioned there. If you could find something similar for the 1881 census then we might be in business. When I put the name Charlotte Morris born 1883 into the Ancestry site it tells me the names of the parents are available for a fee. Unfortunately I've got a pathological aversion to continuing subscriptions. I shall try and buy a few tokens or whatever the're called. HD

The Pawson Census images might be quite an interesting read regardless. One for "the list" ...

Sorry to be a bore but SWMBO now "requests" that I find out about her great grandma.

When I can get down town to the Archives I understand I shall be able to buy some look-up credits but meanwhile I'm trying to find out the name of the mother of Charlotte Morris who was born in 1883 in a little cottage at the bottom corner of School Road, Beighton. The cottages are still standing. I'm particularly interested in the maiden name of Charlottes mother. Family lore has it that she was a daughter of Henry Pawson the Sheffield publisher and printer. We have a family photo of a very well dressed woman who is believed to be Mary Pawson, Charlottes mother, who died giving birth to Charlotte.

HD