My Kind Of Town

Guest mikeinsheffield

Guest mikeinsheffield

Hello all,

I've just been reading the Sheffield nostalgia magazine, My Kind of Town, and wondered if anyone else on here has seen it?

Particularly interested in the feature on old Sheffield bands from the early 60s. Can't believe there were so many around. I reckon everyone in the city must have been a musician or singer!

Also a funny article about growing up in Sheffield prefabs.

Hello all,

I've just been reading the Sheffield nostalgia magazine, My Kind of Town, and wondered if anyone else on here has seen it?

Particularly interested in the feature on old Sheffield bands from the early 60s. Can't believe there were so many around. I reckon everyone in the city must have been a musician or singer!

Hi Mike

I got a copy of ebay and thought it was very good. Anyone who hasn't seen it it is available from Amazon postage free for £4.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kind-Town-Nostalgic-Reflections-Sheffield/dp/095648252X

I think it is supposed to be a regular publication but you never know with subscribing to such niche magazine whether they will carry on if you paid over a subscription!

cheers

Guest mikeinsheffield

Yes, it's a regular publication.

Just been reading Issue Two - lots of great pics of the old Rag & Tag, plus a funny story from Bobby Knutt about The Fiesta, tales about Dixon's Mint Rock, Taggy's Ice Cream and Thornton's Chocolates, and pics I've never seen before of the City Hall being built.

Wife ordered me a subscription from the publishers, Heron Publications, 2357777.

Hello all,

I would be very interested in that article about growing up in Sheffield prefabs as that is exactly what I did.

Any chance of scanning / posting it?

I would be very interested in that article about growing up in Sheffield prefabs as that is exactly what I did.

Any chance of scanning / posting it?

The article suggests that growing up in prefabs leads to problems in later life and can result in spending all your time staring at computer screens and not interacting with your family! ;-) I'll see if I can do it for your Dave.

The article suggests that growing up in prefabs leads to problems in later life and can result in spending all your time staring at computer screens and not interacting with your family! ;-) I'll see if I can do it for your Dave.

As I seem to spend most evenings on here I am not sure if that is a serious reply or not.

If Richard had posted it I would have assumed it was a wind up.

Innocent little moi ?

As I seem to spend most evenings on here I am not sure if that is a serious reply or not.

Just a little jest Dave :rolleyes:

Quite true, and the effect is very powerful indeed. I only lived in a prefab for about 18 months when I was about 2 years old but I seem to spend my entire life staring at a screen.

If it's not my desktop screen then it's my laptop and if it's not a PC screen it's the TV screen in the corner watching soaps with my wife.

Of course I could always go for a drive in my car to get away from a screen.

No I can't, It's got a touch-screen almost as big as my laptop. "Welcome to ******" it says when I switch on the ignition. "Take care when reversing" coupled with bleeps and a digital representation of what it thinks is behind me. Unfortunately it can't tell the difference between a concrete bollard and a blade of grass. If I turn the radio on it fills the screen with traffic information or tells me how warm the air conditioning is.

So you see it is a well documented phenomenon. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HD

Quite true, and the effect is very powerful indeed. I only lived in a prefab for about 18 months when I was about 2 years old but I seem to spend my entire life staring at a screen.

If it's not my desktop screen then it's my laptop and if it's not a PC screen it's the TV screen in the corner watching soaps with my wife.

Of course I could always go for a drive in my car to get away from a screen.

No I can't, It's got a touch-screen almost as big as my laptop. "Welcome to ******" it says when I switch on the ignition. "Take care when reversing" coupled with bleeps and a digital representation of what it thinks is behind me. Unfortunately it can't tell the difference between a concrete bollard and a blade of grass. If I turn the radio on it fills the screen with traffic information or tells me how warm the air conditioning is.

So you see it is a well documented phenomenon. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HD

But all of these things would still have happened to you if you had never lived in a prefab.

In fact there must be millions of people who do all those things that have never lived in a prefab and probably don't even know what one is.

But all of these things would still have happened to you if you had never lived in a prefab.

In fact there must be millions of people who do all those things that have never lived in a prefab and probably don't even know what one is.

It was written in a humorous vein, after the stamp of the original poster. :wacko: :wacko:

HD

It was written in a humorous vein, after the stamp of the original poster. :wacko: :wacko:

HD

I thought it was.

To be honest I would rather hear a humerous story about people who lived in prefabs 50 years ago than a possibly more likely story that they are at a much higher risk of developing asbestosis from exposure to their constructional material all that time ago.

Just one story I had heard about living and working with asbestos.

There seems to be little evidence (unless there has been an official secret cover up) but it does worry me just a little bit.

I thought it was.

To be honest I would rather hear a humerous story about people who lived in prefabs 50 years ago than a possibly more likely story that they are at a much higher risk of developing asbestosis from exposure to their constructional material all that time ago.

Just one story I had heard about living and working with asbestos.

There seems to be little evidence (unless there has been an official secret cover up) but it does worry me just a little bit.

As a young apprentice electrician in an old factory I worked on 5 foot square hot-plates where you had to remove loads of asbestos wool to replace elements. This was piled at the side then replaced when the job was done. We used to build switchgear using something called Sindanyo which was an asbestos cement board in those days. This was 45 years ago and by the grace of God I don't have any chest problems that I know of.

HD

As a young apprentice electrician in an old factory I worked on 5 foot square hot-plates where you had to remove loads of asbestos wool to replace elements. This was piled at the side then replaced when the job was done. We used to build switchgear using something called Sindanyo which was an asbestos cement board in those days. This was 45 years ago and by the grace of God I don't have any chest problems that I know of.

HD

Likewise I don't have any chest complaints either.

But asbestosis is a "hidden timebomb" type of illness.

It can be many years after the first exposure that its first symptoms start to appear.

Hello all,

On my trip into town on Saturday I noticed that it was on sale in The Star shop.

On my trip into town on Saturday I noticed that it was on sale in The Star shop.

I've just got round to reading the book " My Kind of Town " borrowed of course.

It 's brilliant, dare I say it. . .much better than the Retro book and half price, there I've said it.

You can pay £18 for the next four copies which I will be doing.

It's not knowing where to purchase the book that is the problem for some people but now

Dave's eagle eye has spotted it in the Star shop that will make it easier for some.

I'm looking forward to the 2nd edition.

Just read the 4th edition of " My Kind of Town " what a great book.

Vin Malone has written a good article on when he worked in the cutlery industry.

There's also an article on Big Ada and unseen before photographs of Fitzalan Square

and the hoardings surrounding the building of the town hall.

There's other pictures of the town centre all taken in 1890. Apparently someone had

taken some old negatives in to the publishers of the magazine. So don't be throwing

those old negatives out , you never know what might be on them.

There's other pictures of the town centre all taken in 1890. Apparently someone had

taken some old negatives in to the publishers of the magazine. So don't be throwing

those old negatives out , you never know what might be on them.

As you know UKL, most of my old negatives of the local area, even some taken through bedroom windows, have been digitally scanned and posted in various topics on here anyway. I still have all the original negatives all carefully stored and filed.

Guest mikeinsheffield

Love the piece in My Kind of Town on Big Ada and Pond Street Nora. Two ladies to avoid! Can't believe they have found pics of Ada after all this time. I bought my My ind of Town at Sheffield Scene on Surrey Stree. Should be another one due out soon. Can't wait!

Love the piece in My Kind of Town on Big Ada and Pond Street Nora. Two ladies to avoid! Can't believe they have found pics of Ada after all this time. I bought my My ind of Town at Sheffield Scene on Surrey Stree. Should be another one due out soon. Can't wait!

The My Kind of Town should be more easily accessable,it's a shame a lot of Sheffielders are missing

out on this. It's one of the best Sheffield nostalgic books I have read.

I have a cuboard full of " Sheffield " books but most of them with the same old pictures in but with

this book you not only get pictures but write ups and history of the people who lived/ worked in the

Sheffield places.places.

I'm not sure if the Star shop sells it on York Street but they should because it's better than some of

the books I've bought from there.

The My Kind of Town should be more easily accessable,it's a shame a lot of Sheffielders are missing

out on this. It's one of the best Sheffield nostalgic books I have read.

I have a cuboard full of " Sheffield " books but most of them with the same old pictures in but with

this book you not only get pictures but write ups and history of the people who lived/ worked in the

Sheffield places.places.

I'm not sure if the Star shop sells it on York Street but they should because it's better than some of

the books I've bought from there.

The Oxfam Book Shop on West St sells it

also Waterstones in Orchard Sq

Noticed in Waterstones This lunchtime, issue 5 of this publication is now on the shelves, it includes a section about Redgates, with a couple of photo's of the store on The Moor.

What a moving article our member Vin has wrote in the " My Kind of Town "

It's difficult to imagine how tough it was for families in the 1800s as Vin says as he looked

around the gravestones at the Sheffield Cathedral.

Almost every family lost children through desease and poverty . I myself have death certificates

of young ancestors passing away with the cause being as simple as " teething " and such.

One ancestor buried three of his children all on the sames day ages from 2 to 6 and the

previous year he lost his wife. What heartache they must have suffered not to mention being

cold and hungry.

I do agree with Vin on his dislike of the grave stones being used as paving stones.

Although there's no bodies there anymore the people from the past paid hard earned money

for those and sould be respected.

I remember the time when the protesters were there with their tents throwing their left over

drinks and fag ends over the grave stones .

Well done to Vin for an interesting story.

I have just read the piece on Sheffield's short lived airport. I feel the writer could have done with a few more facts!