Sheffield Castle Markets In The 1980's

Sheffield History

I remember as a lad spending time up on 'The Gallery' at Sheffield's Castle Markets on a Saturday afternoon

I hung around the record shop with a big group of skinheads who were fab company and who never caused one bit of trouble

Does anyone remember Castle Markets on a Saturday in the 1980's and were you a part of our skinhead mob ?

Guest whyme

I remember as a lad spending time up on 'The Gallery' at Sheffield's Castle Markets on a Saturday afternoon

I hung around the record shop with a big group of skinheads who were fab company and who never caused one bit of trouble

Does anyone remember Castle Markets on a Saturday in the 1980's and were you a part of our skinhead mob ?

I may know you because I used to hang out there and knew most of the skinheads. I used to love going in the cafe on the 'The Gallery' for coffee and winding up the security guard when he came around the K&D record stall near the entrance. Those were good days my friend good days indeed. I will miss the market when it is gone, so many good memories there.

This is when fish in the market was plentiful and by the look of it much cheaper than today.

This picture was taken in 1983 . Let's hope our new fish market [ when we get it ] will be

a success and in competition with Barnsley's very good fish market.

This is when fish in the market was plentiful and by the look of it much cheaper than today.

This picture was taken in 1983 . Let's hope our new fish market [ when we get it ] will be

a success and in competition with Barnsley's very good fish market.

Whose stall is this UKL?

If I am buying fish in Castle Market I always go to Tony Andrews (Anthony Andrews) but I don't think this is his stall or staff.

May have been taken in 1983 but most stallholders have been there for generations, - something else that makes the market a familiar and friendly place.

Reminds me, - didn't I post a load of pictures taken in the market on here in another topic somewhere?

I seem to remember it started off with some low quality Minox subminiature camera pictures I took in 1982

Reminds me, - didn't I post a load of pictures taken in the market on here in another topic somewhere?

I seem to remember it started off with some low quality Minox subminiature camera pictures I took in 1982

Looks like my topic is here

Whose stall is this UKL?

If I am buying fish in Castle Market I always go to Tony Andrews (Anthony Andrews) but I don't think this is his stall or staff.

May have been taken in 1983 but most stallholders have been there for generations, - something else that makes the market a familiar and friendly place.

I thought you might be able to tell me whose stall it is/was Dave, I haven't a clue.

It seems there's a few of the markets scattered here and there but this one was the only forum I found.

I thought you might be able to tell me whose stall it is/was Dave, I haven't a clue.

It seems there's a few of the markets scattered here and there but this one was the only forum I found.

Next time I go down the market I will try to find a similar looking (although 30 years on in time) stall and identify it.

Would there have been a fish stall by the name of "Farrells" at the time? ....... looking carefully at the photo, the're may be a clue

Would there have been a fish stall by the name of "Farrells" at the time? ....... looking carefully at the photo, the're may be a clue

Well done eagle eye, I never noticed that.

I know it still might not be called Farrell's but there's a good possibility.

OK it says Farrells...

...but what are those signs that appear to be in some Asian type script like Chinese or Japanese?

Are they selling fish contaminated with mercury spillage / radioactive waste / nuclear leak?

Or is it for some sort of raw fish (all the fish on the stall is raw) but intended to be eaten raw as suchi (Yuk!!) (in Stuarts case double Yuk!!!)

Or does it mean something else?

HOW! .......you make me sound like a "red" indian or should that be native american ....... anyone notice the "lone roasting chicken" on the front of the stall amongst a "sea"of fish.

It saddens me now when I walk around the market now with all the empty stalls. My Saturday job in the late 60's was working on one of the stalls, having to fight my way through the crowds with the barrow loaded with rubbish shouting at the top of my voice "mind yer backs"!

I cannot see the new market (if its ever built or even started) having the same atmosphere.

HOW! .......you make me sound like a "red" indian or should that be native american ....... anyone notice the "lone roasting chicken" on the front of the stall amongst a "sea"of fish.

It saddens me now when I walk around the market now with all the empty stalls. My Saturday job in the late 60's was working on one of the stalls, having to fight my way through the crowds with the barrow loaded with rubbish shouting at the top of my voice "mind yer backs"!

I cannot see the new market (if its ever built or even started) having the same atmosphere.

I agree , unless your own bus route runs straight to the Moor I can't see people getting off to change buses just to get to the market.

It could have still been built in the Castle area along with smartening up all the derelict properties.

I agree , unless your own bus route runs straight to the Moor I can't see people getting off to change buses just to get to the market.

It could have still been built in the Castle area along with smartening up all the derelict properties.

Hey, I've been saying things like this about Castle Market on here for the last 2 years and when I started very few people agreed with me.

Perhaps my idea of retaining the market at least in the "market district" of Sheffield rather than at Moorfoot is gaining in support now.

Unfortunately it's a bit late in the day to change the Council's mind now as they have already flattened Moorfoot for the new market

However, although I am resigned to the fact that the market will eventually move to this location I am sure we will still support it and make the most of it. (I will, it is actually handier and more convenient for me at Moorfoot). It will after all be the same market stallholders that have served us so well for many years that we will trading with.