Man Who, Banged The Gong. Rank Films.

Guest synthman

Guest synthman

The films produced by, the film company. ''Rank organization''. featured a man hitting a huge Gong, at the start of each film. Apparantly, his surname was '' Wells'', and was originally, a boxer from Walkley. Anyone know of him?.

The films produced by, the film company. ''Rank organization''. featured a man hitting a huge Gong, at the start of each film. Apparantly, his surname was '' Wells'', and was originally, a boxer from Walkley. Anyone know of him?.

I remember my dad talking about Bombadier Billy Wells, famous British Heavyweight boxer, first heavyweight to wear the Lonsdale belt. He was the first of many 'gongmen' that the Rank organisation used. But according to Wikipaedia he was a Londoner, no mention of Walkley? Perhaps there was another.

Guest synthman

I remember my dad talking about Bombadier Billy Wells, famous British Heavyweight boxer, first heavyweight to wear the Lonsdale belt. He was the first of many 'gongmen' that the Rank organisation used. But according to Wikipaedia he was a Londoner, no mention of Walkley? Perhaps there was another.

Guest synthman

Thanks so much friend. yes, I understand they used several gong men over the years. He was related to a friend of mine off the Manor, also a Wells. Apparantly, he came from Walkley but, yes it makes sense the mention of London, He would have to lived there at sometime, or travelled to London to do the filming. thanks once again. all the best. Pete. Synthman.

That's right on 1 count, but the man who actually banged the gong so the actual sound could be recordedwas a much smaller man, professor James Blades from the London school of music. I made a programme with him in the late 70's when he came to Sheffield City college. It was made for the music department, at the behest of Miss Jean Callan. Who I am sure some student teachers from that era will remember well....

The actual gong used was smaller in diameter than the one on the film as that large one would have a made too deeper note......