South Yorkshire Asylum/middlewood

bonnie

The index to the admission registers transcribed by myself and 3 others are now available online.

The records of Middlewood Hospital (1872 – 1996) are at Sheffield Archives. These include patient admission registers dating back to 1872 which list the names of the many thousands of people who passed through the asylum, detailing ages, occupations and ‘causes of insanity’.

The names of all patients admitted to Middlewood Hospital between 1872 and 1910 can be searched using the indexes on the archives site.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/publications/mental-health

Angela

================

Edit: link repaired, 10/02/17,

SteveHB

The index to the admission registers transcribed by myself and 3 others are now available online.

The records of Middlewood Hospital (1872 – 1996) are at Sheffield Archives. These include patient admission registers dating back to 1872 which list the names of the many thousands of people who passed through the asylum, detailing ages, occupations and 'causes of insanity'.

The names of all patients admitted to Middlewood Hospital between 1872 and 1910 can be searched using the indexes on the archives site.

http://www.sheffield...s/mental-health

Angela

Looks like a wonderful pice of work - Thank you all so much - look forward to a good rummage through. :)

Guest popsy

Hi Angela, I read your post about the South Yorkshire asylum/ Middlewood Hospital. I wonder if you can give me some advice. I am searching for George Wale who was originally from Blidworth. In the 1881 and 1891 censuses he was living at Wadsley and was described as an attendant at the South Yorkshire asylum. He had retired and was living in Shepperson Road by 1901.

I wondered whether when you transcribed the admissions to the asylum there was any mention of the staff. I do not live in Yorkshire and am not sure whether to come to Sheffield and look for him in the archives.

Hi Angela, I read your post about the South Yorkshire asylum/ Middlewood Hospital. I wonder if you can give me some advice. I am searching for George Wale who was originally from Blidworth. In the 1881 and 1891 censuses he was living at Wadsley and was described as an attendant at the South Yorkshire asylum. He had retired and was living in Shepperson Road by 1901.

I wondered whether when you transcribed the admissions to the asylum there was any mention of the staff. I do not live in Yorkshire and am not sure whether to come to Sheffield and look for him in the archives.

Hi

I have checked on A2A and can find no mention of staff records before 1907. It might be worth emailing the archives with an enquiry, although they are closed until September 5th, they are still answering their emails.

Angela

Also is the extra info available for free at the archives/local studies?

Richard.

It all depends on what your enquiry was...was it relating to the admission or staff registers?

The records of Middlewood Hospital (1872 – 1996) are at Sheffield Archives. These include patient admission registers dating back to 1872 which list the names of the many thousands of people who passed through the asylum, detailing ages, occupations and ‘causes of insanity’.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/publications/mental-health

Angela

Fascinating!

I found the 'causes of insanity' listings quite sad in most cases and quite bizarre in others, for example:

Fred Ollerenshaw - reading novels

Sarah Ann Lloyd - frightened by policeman

Elizabeth Hartley - getting married

William Hewitt Mills - Overstudying Music (Vox, take note!)

Harriet Gleadall - got wet in july

Esther Kime - having slept at Hull

William Gray - Onanism (look it up, I'm not telling you what it is)

and the saddest of all . .

Emma Mann - Unrequited love :(

Fascinating!

I found the 'causes of insanity' listings quite sad in most cases and quite bizarre in others, for example:

Fred Ollerenshaw - reading novels

Sarah Ann Lloyd - frightened by policeman

Elizabeth Hartley - getting married

William Hewitt Mills - Overstudying Music (Vox, take note!)

Harriet Gleadall - got wet in july

Esther Kime - having slept at Hull

William Gray - Onanism (look it up, I'm not telling you what it is)

and the saddest of all . .

Emma Mann - Unrequited love :(

They all make me smile especially "having slept at Hull ] he he

Are you planning to transcribe entries any further on from 1910, Angela, or have you stopped there because you're concerned about mentioning people who are still living?

I ask because my grandmother spent many years at Middlewood, and I'd like to know for my family history when she was admitted and what they thought was wrong with her. Trouble is, it's not easy to look up without an index, because it could have been any time from the late 1930s to the late 1950s. She was a patient at a number of different institutions, starting at Alma Road Hospital in Rotherham.

If you have access to such an index and could look it up for me, I'd be eternally grateful (I left Sheffield 20 years ago, and can't easily get to the Archives). I could PM you the details.

There is a 100 year closure on the records, that is why we only transcribed to December 1910.

You need to apply to:

Catherine Dixon,

Medical Records Officer,

NHS Sheffield Care Trust,

Michael Carlisle House,

75, Osborne Road,

Sheffield, S11 9BF.

for permission to view the record OR for the archive staff to do paid research for you.

The majority of records from 1917 also have a seperate folder with the the case history and a photograph of the person concerned.

Angela

Thanks so much, Angela, that's brilliant. We have only two photos of my Gran, so to find another one would be amazing (fingers crossed). Her children are very old now, and one is terminally ill, so anything new we could discover would be of great value to them.

X Kitty

Guest debbiedido0124

I have just found that my great great gran died at south yorkshire mental hospital and am really eager to find records as a photograph was quite usual in these cases. Her name was Frances Bounds died 3.12.1932 can anybody tell me where to start looking please.

pollyg

I would like to find out whether my great aunt, Ida Margaretta (aka Margaret) Robertson (b.1895 in Ecclesall Bierlow, lived in Ecclesall Road) was an inmate in the mental hospital or a local workhouse some time from 1911 onwards. She appears on the 1911 census but was expelled from the family home during WW1 after disgracing herself with a serviceman. She may have become pregnant and been institutionalised.

How can I search the inmates records post 1907?

Evening all,

I have just received a death certificate that states death was at South Yorkshire Asylum 1922 and has intrigued me. So, I clicked on the link above, but to no avail. Are these records still available to search online does anyone know please?

1 hour ago, togger said:

Evening all,

I have just received a death certificate that states death was at South Yorkshire Asylum 1922 and has intrigued me. So, I clicked on the link above, but to no avail. Are these records still available to search online does anyone know please?

Try here:   https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/research-guides/mental-health.html

There are several pdf files in this format:589cd38e150d8_Middlewoodrecords.png.512d097dcbbb34f017e4a2f181170bd7.png

Thats the one.  Do you know if the records are searchable after 1910 or are being transcribed? I ask because the year i need is1921 

1 hour ago, togger said:

Thats the one.  Do you know if the records are searchable after 1910 or are being transcribed? I ask because the year i need is1921 

Not sure but it doesn't look like it, I think your best bet would be to use the  Ask us a question  on that page. If it doesn't bring up your email client the email address is    archives@sheffield.gov.uk

On 28/04/2011 at 15:37, bonnie said:

Angela

================

Edit: link repaired, 10/02/17,

SteveHB

Hi Bonnie

how can I find information about a relative who was in Middlewood about 1968 onwards please?

Contact the archives and they will give you the information you require.

I know that you have to write for permission but the address I have is from 2011 and could be out of date now.

Angela