Yeardley Old Photograph

History dude

This is an interesting family photo taken at Morecambe in about 1919. Amazing beach attire! I think my uncle Stanley ( James Stanley Yeardley) must have taken it. The people on the snap are: Ruth Bridgewater (Stan's future wife), my grandparents, Amy Yeardley and Wilson Greaves. Sitting on the sand are Roland Yeardley and Dora Yeardley.

More pictures! First Alice P and Frank Yeardley. Alice was good at putting names and dates sometimes on the back. It says on this one Bridlington 1904. Which would make Alice 4!

This one I found today!

I have called it Kitty Yeardley though it might have been Kitty's daughter? Anyway I am also posting the back of it, it's stamped 9 Dec 1932.

The pencil script looks like Alice P's.

Another dated photo of Arnold Yeardley dated July 1923 and taken at Over Hatton it says.

No date on this and just John Yeardley. The Studio stamp stamp on the back says A. Seaman & Sons. 115 Pinstone Street Sheffield. I bet Richard will find a date they were there! ;-)

Around 1921 Dot or Dorothy Yeardley was working at the Sports Ground Tinsley. This is one of two pictures of the staff there. Dot is shown with a blue pen mark above her.

Next up, Alice wrote on the back Father Yeardley and stuck a "X" to the side of him on the front. However time was not good to this picture and it was badly creased in several places. I spent a lot of time to get rid of the worst of the damage.

The sign says S. S. P. Heavy Lifting Gang 14/6/21.

Not sure who Doris and Kitty are. Have found Arnold and notice his second name is Walker after his grandmother. Also, have just followed through JFY ( no. 3). If I've found the correct one, he didn't marry until quite late. I'm assuming that is his picture that you've posted. I'm sure my mum must have talked about all these people but, as a child, I used to yawn and switch off. I was not in the least bit interested then, regrettably.

I'm posting a photo of Sydney Yeardley who was born in 1906, the 3rd son of Ernest. The picture shows how well off the family were in those days! Syd, wife and child went on one of the £10 package deals to Tasmania in 1953. After a rough start they settled down and were very happy.

Known there 1905-1925 A. Seaman & Sons. Maybe longer,can anyone improve please?

No date on this and just John Yeardley. The Studio stamp stamp on the back says A. Seaman & Sons. 115 Pinstone Street Sheffield. I bet Richard will find a date they were there! ;-)

Known there 1905-1925 A. Seaman & Sons.

I knew you come up trumps with it :);-)

I say around 1912 then, he looks like he could walk onto the Titanic with those clothes.

A fine selection of family photos - well worth a little effort on my part.

Hopefully we will get to see a family tree at some point, because I'm Yeardley'd out ... and don't understand any of it !

I knew you come up trumps with it :);-)

I say around 1912 then, he looks like he could walk onto the Titanic with those clothes.

Hopefully we will get to see a family tree at some point, because I'm Yeardley'd out ... and don't understand any of it !

As requested!

Ta, puts some of it into perspective ...

Definately more of this kind of stuff required from anyone that has access- we'll do our best to contribute/help.

As requested!

Just discovered yesterday that Frank Yeardley, who's the brother of John Fletcher, who from the tree above you can see was married to Annie Dolan, married her sister :blink:. That's right Frank married Frances Alice Dolan and John Fletcher married Annie Dolan :mellow:

I've come accross this double intermarriage between two families in my tree a couple of times now with this one. It doesn't seem to be common these days. We have no members of our family like that now. Nor do I know of any neighbours with intermarriage couples, like that.

Has the practice died out for some reason?

Here you are Dude.

My cousin was researching Shingler as part of his research into a branch of his family and came up with this thread. He re-touched, and sent me, this copy of your photo to add to the forum. Hope it's ok for you.

Came across some newspaper articles relating to the death of John Fletcher Yeardley's first wife, Elizabeth Walker in 1879. Apparently John had purchased a grave at Wadsley Churchyard. He and his wife had already put one child in it. So when Elizabeth died, after an unknown (to me) illness, which lasted 18 months according to the newspaper, his intention was to open up the grave for his wife's burial. He was prepared to fork out the costs of the gravedigger. However the vicar and his people wanted a great deal of money for the deed. And when they carried out the burial. The coffin was placed in the grave and the minister uttered no words. When asked he just said that the ceremony was over. 

Furious John Fletcher, who was left with 6 children to look after said he would get his lawyer on to it. It turns out that a lot of people were being duped into paying high fees. And as a result John Lawson writes to The Sheffield and Rotherham Independent on May 18 1880 about the case.

This resulted in a deputation going to see the Archbishop of York, with the above John Lawson, Mr John Wilson, Mr Joseph Creswick of Fulwood, Mr C T Skelton of Heeley, Mr Percy Rawson. To argue the case!    It runs over 3 files!

BL_0000181_18800824_008.pdf

BL_0000181_18800518_016.pdf

BL_0000181_18800828_050.pdf