Where Is Heeley Common

Guest Munksyb

Does anyone know where Heeley Common is supposedto be ?, I've had a look on the pre-1900 map & can only find Heeley Green.

Wellcome to the site, I have found a picture on the Sheffield Library site dated 1673 if this helps a little.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s06210&pos=1&action=zoom&id=9537

It's shown on the 1637 reconstruction of the Harrison Survey of the Manor of Sheffield.

I can't get to my scanner at the moment, but I'll try and post it tomorrow. It was mid way between Heeley Green and Newfield Green.Oh, and like Syrup said, welcome to the Forum !

The old Heeley Common existed until the late 1800's (marked on airiel view)

What is often referred to as Heeley Common nowdays,

comes under the Heeley Rise Tenants and Residents Association,

and covers a much larger area.

Flash Earth

Wellcome to the site, I have found a picture on the Sheffield Library site dated 1673 if this helps a little.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s06210

According to the book 'Heghlegh Then and Heeley Now'

published by Heeley History Workshop (ISBN 0 9534267 3 4)

The steps which used to lead to the old cottages

were still there in 2000, the book even shows a photo.

I will go and investigate the area when the undergrowth dies back.

According to the book 'Heghlegh Then and Heeley Now'

published by Heeley History Workshop (ISBN 0 9534267 3 4)

The steps which used to lead to the old cottages

were still there in 2000, the book even shows a photo.

I will go and investigate the area when the undergrowth dies back.

Were those cottages on Cat lane or along the main road ?

From the various maps it would seem that Cat lane wasn't defined until the time of the enclosure - I notice on the 1850 map it follows the periphery of the common but it probably replaced a variable track across the common before enclosure.

Were those cottages on Cat lane or along the main road ?

From the various maps it would seem that Cat lane wasn't defined until the time of the enclosure - I notice on the 1850 map it follows the periphery of the common but it probably replaced a variable track across the common before enclosure.

I think the cottages were off Gleadless Road

near Edwin Rd, if so the picturesheffield photo was taken

from near Derby Street,

if I'm correct I know where the steps that once lead to the cottages are.

The building(s) shown just above the 'l' of Heeley Common on the Fairbank map, and above the 'd' of Newfield on the 1850 map ?...looks like a farm but could have been a row of cottages and outbuildings.

The building(s) shown just above the 'l' of Heeley Common on the Fairbank map, and above the 'd' of Newfield on the 1850 map ?...looks like a farm but could have been a row of cottages and outbuildings.

From what I have been told Gramps that is the place,

some sort of building(s) still existed into the mid 60's

a family by the name of Battle (sp. Battel ?), lived there,

who were associated to Taggys apparently.

The 1950s map shows the property as Heeley Common Cottages and also seems to show the steps you mentioned earlier. I imagine it would have once been a farm with cottages for the workers

I notice that further out along Gleadless road (just before the junction with Ridgeway) there is a small estate with four streets named 'Battle' - Battle road, Battle avenue, Battle drive and Battle way. Perhaps a connection with that family ?

The 1950s map shows the property as Heeley Common Cottages and also seems to show the steps you mentioned earlier. I imagine it would have once been a farm with cottages for the workers

I notice that further out along Gleadless road (just before the junction with Ridgeway) there is a small estate with four streets named 'Battle' - Battle road, Battle avenue, Battle drive and Battle way. Perhaps a connection with that family ?

Managed to find Heeley Common Cottages in the 1965 diretory,

not had any luck with earlier dates.

1 Arnold Battle

2 Derek Munden

5 Jas M Walton

6 Mrs Smith

PS. Gramps, are you sure that's Battle and not Bartle Rd. ?

Guest Gramps

PS. Gramps, are you sure that's Battle and not Bartle Rd. ?

All I can be certain of these days is what I see may not be the same as what I think I see :unsure:

Guest gazparkin

My Nan (just turned 95) was born in the Heeley Common Cottages (number 2) in 1919. At this time they were all owned by a farmer 'Walton' who rented all the cottages out and they rented number 2 for years. Nan says they were at one time coach houses. She remembers that when it rained, water used to run through the back door and through the house out of the front door. She wrote a couple of books about her life in Sheff (one published) and in an unpublished one she goes in to great detail about the cottages.

My Nan (just turned 95) was born in the Heeley Common Cottages (number 2) in 1919. At this time they were all owned by a farmer 'Walton' who rented all the cottages out and they rented number 2 for years. Nan says they were at one time coach houses. She remembers that when it rained, water used to run through the back door and through the house out of the front door. She wrote a couple of books about her life in Sheff (one published) and in an unpublished one she goes in to great detail about the cottages.

This could be the farmer, or related to him.

Walton George, cowkeeper, 393 Gleadless Road, Heeley, (1905, 1911 & 1925 directories).

Not entirely sure this information from SheffieldIndexers helps in any way ...

HUSTLER, William George (~, Farmer).

Address: Newfield Green Farm, Gleadless Road, Gleadless, ~ in 1925.

Recorded in: Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly?s Directory.

MURGATROYD, Albert (~, Farm Baliff to Thomas Wilkinson & Sons).

Address: Newfield Farm, Newfield Green, ~ in 1925.

Recorded in: Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly?s Directory.

OK, so when did "Newfield Green Road" become "Gleadless Road"?

This could be the farmer, or related to him.

Walton George, cowkeeper, 393 Gleadless Road, Heeley, (1905, 1911 & 1925 directories).

Well he's certainly related to me! As that is my Great Great Grandmother's brother on the female side of my tree. Born in 1843 at Newfield Green. My Grandfather was called William Walton Benton due to the connection with the Walton's.