Newfield Green And Its Inhabitants

duckweed

Can anyone tell me the history of Newfield Green? I know it had one of the few roads going through till they build the toll roads. I know there was a scythe smithy there in 17th century but know very little otherwise. Were there a lot of cottages and smithies? Are there any old buildings remaining?

I've worked out the smithy concerned was at Newfield Hall owned by Brownell family who were scythesmiths for several generations. I've narrowed it down to approximately where the Health centre is now. I've found photos of the Farm next to the Hall but wonder whether there was a photo of Newfield Hall?

I've worked out the smithy concerned was at Newfield Hall owned by Brownell family who were scythesmiths for several generations. I've narrowed it down to approximately where the Health centre is now. I've found photos of the Farm next to the Hall but wonder whether there was a photo of Newfield Hall?

I don't know if it's the same family, but there's a Francis Brownell listed as having a hearth in the Lay Subsidies for 1670. It only lists it as in Sheffield Parish, no more specific. There are two more, Thomas Brownell and Robert Brownell, each with a hearth in Hallam.

In the West Riding Hearth Tax return of 1665, there's no Brownell listed under Sheffield, but there is a Francis Browneld. Same person perhaps?

Brownells

Mrs P Brownell, Newfield Green

1841 (Census; ages rounded to nearest five); all Newfield Green

MarianneBrownell60ElizabethBrownell40MarthaBrownell40Ellin CharlotteBrownell30SarahBrownell201849-1852

Mrs Mariaane Brownell, Gentlewoman

1849; all Newfield Green

Martha Brownell

Matilda Brownell

Sarah Brownell

Misses Brownell, Newfield Green

Newfield Green, residents other than Brownells.

All a bit late for our purposes, but, here just for interest.

1828-29

Richard Booker, Butcher (Shambles)

Elias Hollingsworth, Farmer

Joseph Howe, Shoemaker

Sydney Rhodes, Farmer

Mary Gill, Farmer

James Milner, Silversmith

Samuel Sampson, Hatter, 19 Hartshead and Newfield Green

James Shippam

Joseph Naylor, Cowkeeper, 38 Spring Street & Newfield Green

John Gill, Farmer

Joseph Naylor, Farmer, 38 Spring Street & Newfield Green

J Helliwell, Farmer

William Marsh, Farmer and Cattle Dealer

There is no doubt that Norton's scythesmiths included some of the most prosperous households below the ranks of the yeomanry.

By the Elizabethan and early Stuart period, scythemaking families who were to remain prominent in the trade into the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, were already well-established in Norton.

There were five Biggens amongst Norton's scythesmiths in the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century; at various times between 1700 and the early decades of the nineteenth century, Biggens had controlling interests in the wheels at Walk Mill, Abbeydale, Hutcliffe Wheel, Smithy Wood and Little London.

There were also five Brownells; during the seventeenth century, a branch of the family established themselves just over the Sheffield parish border at Newfield Green. Here, they pursued a dual occupation as scythesmiths-farmers and remained the leading family of the Upper Heeley community until the mid-nineteenth century, with their home at Newfield Hall. One of the family, Peter Brownell, became Master Cutler in the 1810s.

Source (and an excellent read) : http://www.joskingston.org/LDEN/LDENCONTENTS.html

Life & Death in Elizabethan Norton - check the other links and contents page.

The coachman was known as "Owd Thompson" ...

Away at Newfield Green is "Old Collis"' cottage, Addlington's farm and the old home of the Misses Browned, from which they used to issue sedately with "Owd Thompson " their ruddy white-haired coachman.

Luke Brownell, of Newfield Green, scythesmith has the distinction that he paid the largest apprenticeship premium ever received by the Cutlers' Company of Sheffield. The premium was for his son Peter, who in 1807 was Master Cutler.

http://www.nickrobinson.info/ephemera/leeshall/index.htm

It used to be possible to see an occasional cock pheasant in Hang Bank Wood, and I remember an odd larch tree there that used to come into leaf before the other trees - a harbinger of spring. This curious name Hang Bank occurs in a slightly modified form in Harrison's survey of Sheffield made in I 637, for Harrison mentions a pasture that

"abutteth upon Newfield greene North and a Common called Hanbanke South."

A picturesque feature of the Brownell's house is the ivy-covered dove-cot, and I once had a talk with a man at Ridgeway who told me that when he was a boy he and his father planted the ivy round the building, and he was proud of its luxuriant growth.

http://www.nickrobinson.info/peas/leeshall/history/cland.htm

I wonder if this pair of capping stones are original,

could they have come from the gate posts

that stood at the entrance to Newfield Hall ?

Image courtesy of Google

1560's ... mention of Newfield Green

A little more can be pieced together about the Taylers. There was more than one branch of this family in Heeley by the mid- sixteenth century: in 1549, George Taillour held lands at Heeley Green, and in the 1560s Edward, son and heir of Thomas, had a smallholding just up the hill at Newfield Green.

http://www.joskingston.org/LDEN/CHAP5.html

Image courtesy of Google

Where is the photo taken? All I know is that the hall was said to be next to the farm and when the road changed to Gleadless road, the farm was still there, and the address for it was what is now the health centre.

Where is the photo taken? All I know is that the hall was said to be next to the farm and when the road changed to Gleadless road, the farm was still there, and the address for it was what is now the health centre.

Next to the bus stop, between the Health Centre (Gleadless Rd) and Blackstock Road,

sorry I thought you knew the area.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=53.35724,-1.450753&amp;spn=0,0.003396&amp;z=18&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.356564,-1.450753&amp;panoid=ixS0Pkf6_s6usM631vW8Pg&amp;cbp=12,207.74,,0,9.12&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=53.35724,-1.450753&amp;spn=0,0.003396&amp;z=18&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.356564,-1.450753&amp;panoid=ixS0Pkf6_s6usM631vW8Pg&amp;cbp=12,207.74,,0,9.12&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Image courtesy of Google

Can I see a track - driveway leading to the hall, marked by parallel dotted lines on the OS map.

If so, they're about where the gateposts are now. (I think)

OS Map

Can I see a track - driveway leading to the hall, marked by parallel dotted lines on the OS map.

If so, they're about where the gateposts are now. (I think)

OS Map

Yes vox,

there are two tracks to the Hall on the 1930 OS map,

the upper (more northern & longer) of the two,

runs more or less where the long foot path between the trees is, as seen the aerial view.

Both tracks are more visible on a large scale 1903 map.

Where Newfield Hall once stood.

link to Flash Earth

Thanks that makes things much clearer. Not far from me as the crow flies but I don't often go that way. Must go and have a look at those stones. Anyone know when the hall went?

Thanks that makes things much clearer. Not far from me as the crow flies but I don't often go that way. Must go and have a look at those stones. Anyone know when the hall went?

An extract taken from member Bayleaf's post in Tunnels under Sheffield

"A passage ran from near the present Heeley Station to Newfield Hall and then towards Sheffield castle.

In 1925 a Mrs. Jenkinson said an old man told her he had traversed it all the way and said it was about 6 ft. high. One end of it is near Meersbrook Park Rd in the old farmstead buildings."

Link .. www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

An extract taken from member Bayleaf's post in Tunnels under Sheffield

"A passage ran from near the present Heeley Station to Newfield Hall and then towards Sheffield castle.

In 1925 a Mrs. Jenkinson said an old man told her he had traversed it all the way and said it was about 6 ft. high. One end of it is near Meersbrook Park Rd in the old farmstead buildings."

Link .. www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

This isn't a story I've heard before but I wonder why anyone would build a tunnel this long and through some difficult geologically speaking terrain. Also knowing who owned the land thereabouts it would have to cut across several landowners estates such as the Blythes, the Parkers, and the Folljambes, as it was not all Talbot land, I think this would be an impossible task without taking it to court. Most tunnels are old mines but not sure that could be the case either. I think I would need more evidence than hearsay for this

This isn't a story I've heard before but I wonder why anyone would build a tunnel this long and through some difficult geologically speaking terrain. Also knowing who owned the land thereabouts it would have to cut across several landowners estates such as the Blythes, the Parkers, and the Folljambes, as it was not all Talbot land, I think this would be an impossible task without taking it to court. Most tunnels are old mines but not sure that could be the case either. I think I would need more evidence than hearsay for this

You and me both! The whole subject of 'Tunnels under Sheffield ' is a bit like alien contact or crop circles, either you believe or you don't. I still maintain that if all the 'tunnels' existed, the whole city and its environs would have disappeared into a vast hole by now!