Park Hill Flats in Sheffield

Sheffield History

I'm looking for photos of a path on the sloped ground between the flats and the train station. I think the path in question is on the Park Hill flats land.

Please could anyone point me in the direction of some online ones, or send me a PM if they'd be able to take some for me.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong section, feel free to move it to the correct forum if so.

Thanks for the welcome, also the pic links.

I'm after photo (or photos) of a certain path in its current state. The path in question is one with large gravel steps edged off with wood, possibly has a wooden rail (from memory) too. It isn't too far from the archive pics you've linked to.

I visited Sheffield for the first time last September. I had a really good time. While there, one of the events I went to was a film screening at Park Hill flats.

I'm after photo (or photos) of a certain path in its current state. The path in question is one with large gravel steps edged off with wood, possibly has a wooden rail (from memory) too. It isn't too far from the archive pics you've linked to.

I visited Sheffield for the first time last September. I had a really good time. While there, one of the events I went to was a film screening at Park Hill flats.

One for the dog-walkers then, Good Luck.

Perhaps the Bungay Street topic might be of use to you, teaurn.

Perhaps the Bungay Street topic might be of use to you, teaurn.

Stuart0742 put a lot of work into collecting pictures for that Bungay Street topic and there are quite a few shots of cobbled paths going down the hill in exactly the area teaurn is looking for.

Sure you will find something of use in that topic, just follow madannies link

Parkhill Flats taken today from the Showroom Cinema. (well a few photos really)

Looks like work on them is slowly progressing and that they are starting to look a bit like proper flats again.

Looks like work on them is slowly progressing and that they are starting to look a bit like proper flats again.

Now where did Plain Talker live lol and your Grandma Dave?

Grandma had at least 2 flats on Park Hill.

One from 1963 to 1966 when she first moved there

Then she moved for a couple of years to the Kenninghall tower block on Norfolk Park, she didn't like it there so moved back to Park Hill

From 1968 to her death in 1983 she had 2 other flats.

I can only roughly say where they were as it is difficult to locate them from this viewpoint.

Guest plain talker

On that picture, my grandma's living room was top floor (Norwich Row) It's almost dead centre of this shot, funnily enough.

Where the big black lamppost is, in the middle-ish of the pic, counting nine squares (window squares and balcony-squares)on to the left, from the flying-saucer looking lamp attachment. That was gran's living room, and the bedroom and kitchen was one more square (the balconies, this time) to the left.

The view from my gran's flat, down into the train station was amazing. We used to watch from Gran's balcony when a famous steam train, such as the Flying Scotsman came to Sheffield train Station. (the trees were only saplings back then, the grassy bank that goes up from the supertram stop these days, was almost bare of tree cover (they'd only just been planted a few years previously)

ah. memories *le sigh* :D :D

Guest transit

On that picture, my grandma's living room was top floor (Norwich Row) It's almost dead centre of this shot, funnily enough.

Where the big black lamppost is, in the middle-ish of the pic, counting nine squares (window squares and balcony-squares)on to the left, from the flying-saucer looking lamp attachment. That was gran's living room, and the bedroom and kitchen was one more square (the balconies, this time) to the left.

The view from my gran's flat, down into the train station was amazing. We used to watch from Gran's balcony when a famous steam train, such as the Flying Scotsman came to Sheffield train Station. (the trees were only saplings back then, the grassy bank that goes up from the supertram stop these days, was almost bare of tree cover (they'd only just been planted a few years previously)

ah. memories *le sigh* :D :D

....dont know if these help PT - zoomed in on a couple of my bus pics ! - now if someone could just tweek them up a bit ?.............

....dont know if these help PT - zoomed in on a couple of my bus pics ! - now if someone could just tweek them up a bit ?.............

The photos are a bit beyond tweeking I'm afraid :(

A new advertisement, a load of scaffolding and the 1st signs of the new windows, well on this side anyway. There are more of the colourful windows on other elevations.

A new advertisement, a load of scaffolding and the 1st signs of the new windows, well on this side anyway. There are more of the colourful windows on other elevations.

I had a walk around the flats yesterday, the renovations are progressing

From Duke St

From inside the flats complex, nr the rear of the old Link PH

From South St

Guest SuzyC

A friend and I decided to venture into the tempting playgrounds of the flats. The concrete tubes drew us. Unfortunately we were met by a girl hurling abuse and she then proceeded attack us. My friend and I being total wimps beat a hasty retreat. Was this normal, or some sort of territory thing , or had we just unfortunately hit on the local bully? Never went near the place again.

Unfortunately we were met by a girl hurling abuse and she then proceeded attack us. My friend and I being total wimps beat a hasty retreat. Was this normal, or some sort of territory thing , or had we just unfortunately hit on the local bully? Never went near the place again.

Welcome to Park Hill Flats SuzyC B)

There were some really nice and very friendly people on the Park Hill, many of which I went to school with. It did have a nice community feel to it and the majority of people got on well with each other.

But wherever you go, there is bound to be some antisocial behaviour,crime and trouble :(

Given that Park Hill was built as "Inner City slum clearance council flats" and that a lot of people were now living in very close proximity to each other it didn't too badly. It had a lot of crime (particularly burglaries), anti social behaviour and a bad reputation in other parts of the City maybe, - but nowhere near as much as you would have expected under the circumstances.

Guest SuzyC

Welcome to Park Hill Flats SuzyC B)

There were some really nice and very friendly people on the Park Hill, many of which I went to school with. It did have a nice community feel to it and the majority of people got on well with each other.

But wherever you go, there is bound to be some antisocial behaviour,crime and trouble :(

Given that Park Hill was built as "Inner City slum clearance council flats" and that a lot of people were now living in very close proximity to each other it didn't too badly. It had a lot of crime (particularly burglaries), anti social behaviour and a bad reputation in other parts of the City maybe, - but nowhere near as much as you would have expected under the circumstances.

Hi Dave, I´m sure you are right about the community feel at Park Hill, I remember seeing a documentary on tv some years ago about it and the affection most people had for the place was really great. Our experience took place early 60´s, we were about 11 at the time and just unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time I guess but hadn´t experienced anything like that before in our sheltered little lives :rolleyes: . Although I lived on Norfolk Road I didn´t attend the local primary school so was not able to make friends with other kids locally (I went to Oakwood Collegiate School, Devon Road, Barnsley Road and Norwood Road). I did also once visit a friends Gran at one of the flats not long after they were built and they were certainly far better than the houses they replaced (I can just vaguely remember these before they were pulled down).

Hi Dave, I´m sure you are right about the community feel at Park Hill, I remember seeing a documentary on tv some years ago about it and the affection most people had for the place was really great. Our experience took place early 60´s, we were about 11 at the time and just unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time I guess but hadn´t experienced anything like that before in our sheltered little lives :rolleyes: . Although I lived on Norfolk Road I didn´t attend the local primary school so was not able to make friends with other kids locally (I went to Oakwood Collegiate School, Devon Road, Barnsley Road and Norwood Road). I did also once visit a friends Gran at one of the flats not long after they were built and they were certainly far better than the houses they replaced (I can just vaguely remember these before they were pulled down).

I think that with having school friends and relatives (my maternal grandmother) living on the flats from 1962 up until 1983 I probably saw both sides of it and witnessed both the good and the bad.

But I seem to remember more good than bad. :)

Guest Dosh22

While the bottom end of the flats near the magic roundabout are fully dismantled for renovation it appears that the top end of the flats near Talbot Street may be partially occupied from this recent picture.

What do you think, - someone still living in there?

Hi All

First time here, love the site!

I work at Grace Owen nursery school and have done so for the last 19 years, many of you probably went there? we are still open and very popular, we are at the top next to the old Parkway pub. Pub closed a while ago.

Guest SuzyC

I think that with having school friends and relatives (my maternal grandmother) living on the flats from 1962 up until 1983 I probably saw both sides of it and witnessed both the good and the bad.

But I seem to remember more good than bad. :)

That´s nice. lol

Update from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/9346109.stm

and if you want to live there or perhaps return there

see this link

http://www.urbansplash.co.uk/projects/park-hill?utm_source=Urban_Splash_website&utm_medium=Flash_homepage_banner&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=Mini_banner7

purely out of interest I have no commercial interest

Update from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/9346109.stm

and if you want to live there or perhaps return there

see this link

http://www.urbansplash.co.uk/projects/park-hill?utm_source=Urban_Splash_website&utm_medium=Flash_homepage_banner&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=Mini_banner7

purely out of interest I have no commercial interest

No commercial interest from me either but I am wondering why none of these links give any prices <_<

That usually means they are going to be ludicrously expensive. :o

No commercial interest from me either but I am wondering why none of these links give any prices <_<

That usually means they are going to be ludicrously expensive. :o

Its a difficult one

It all depends who they want to attract, no matter how much tarting up its still a flat on the Parkhill, its not as if Sheffield is short of inner city private apartments

They could make them cheap affordable flats for rent, a bit like the original concept, keeping in with the listed status and not altering anything