Broadheads

Guest LFrost

Guest LFrost

I have recently discovered my husbands family can trace their family tree back to the notorious William Broadhead born 1816 in Whirlow Sheffiled. But I am having difficulty finding any information about his family I have read he was born at Whirlow and would love to know where abouts. I think his parents were called John and Ann but I can't find any details about this. I would also like to know if William had any sibblings? Was his family anything to do with the Broadhead Wheel in the Loxley valley?If anyone can help with any of these questoins it would be appreciated.

I also wonderd allthough there may be no link what the real identity of the Kingy Broadhead of the Broadhead gang in Sheffied was, does anyone know?

I have recently discovered my husbands family can trace their family tree back to the notorious William Broadhead born 1816 in Whirlow Sheffiled. But I am having difficulty finding any information about his family I have read he was born at Whirlow and would love to know where abouts. I think his parents were called John and Ann but I can't find any details about this. I would also like to know if William had any sibblings? Was his family anything to do with the Broadhead Wheel in the Loxley valley?If anyone can help with any of these questoins it would be appreciated.

I also wonderd allthough there may be no link what the real identity of the Kingy Broadhead of the Broadhead gang in Sheffied was, does anyone know?

Some on Broadhead here. (Newspaper reports from the time).

Not directly relevant to your questions, but, have it anyway :

He was victualler of the Burnt Tree Tavern, 83 Hoyle Street in 1852. In 1851 was was living there with his wife's sister shown as head of house (at 24).

Caroline Wilgar, Licensed victualler (a new find !)

Welcome to the site if you can find a link to The Broadhead Wheel you might find The 1864 Flood Claims of interest.

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/search.cfm?srchTerm=william+broadhead&delim=words&in=name&in=addr&in=desc&part=yes&submit=search

If a man had been married twice and he had grandchildren from

his first wife, what relationship would they be to his second wifes

children?

If a man had been married twice and he had grandchildren from

his first wife, what relationship would they be to his second wifes

children?

Not the answer but it made me think of this.

You may already know it UkeLass.

The late Phil Harris

He's His Own Grandpa.

I met a guy today I knew years ago, when he was 23,

And he was married to a widow who was as pretty as could be.

Now this widow had a grown-up daughter who had beautiful hair of red,

And this guy's father fell in love with her and soon the two were wed.

Now this made the guy's dad his son-in-law and changed his very life

For his daughter was his mother because she was his father's wife.

Now to complicate the matter even though it brought him joy,

He soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.

Now his little baby then became a brother-in-law to his dad,

And so became his uncle and though that made him very sad,

For if the baby was his uncle then that also made him brother,

Of the widow's grown-up daughter who was of course his step-mother

[chorus]

(He's his own grandpa) Now you're catching on.

(He's his own grandpa) Well naturally!

It sounds funny I know, but really its so.

(He's his own grandpa) Well wait a minute, get a load of this!

Now his father's wife had a son who kept them on the run,

So he became his grandchild for he was his daughter's son.

His wife is now his mother's mother and of course that makes him blue

Because although she's his wife she's his grandmother too!

(He's his own grandpa) Fun in the living room

(He's his own grandpa) Absolutely!

It sounds funny i know, but really it's so.

(He's his own grandpa) Yea, but look, get the payoff.

Now his wife is his grandmother, then he is her grandchild.

And every time the guy thinks of it it nearly drives him wild!

For now he has become the strangest case you ever saw,

As husband of his grandmother, he's his own grandpa!

(He's his own grandpa) And loving every minute!

(He's his own grandpa) Oh tell me more!

It sounds funny I know, but really it's so,

He's his own grandpa.

He's his own grandpa!

Not the answer but it made me think of this.

You may already know it UkeLass.

The late Phil Harris

He's His Own Grandpa.

I met a guy today I knew years ago, when he was 23,

And he was married to a widow who was as pretty as could be.

Now this widow had a grown-up daughter who had beautiful hair of red,

And this guy's father fell in love with her and soon the two were wed.

Now this made the guy's dad his son-in-law and changed his very life

For his daughter was his mother because she was his father's wife.

Now to complicate the matter even though it brought him joy,

He soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.

Now his little baby then became a brother-in-law to his dad,

And so became his uncle and though that made him very sad,

For if the baby was his uncle then that also made him brother,

Of the widow's grown-up daughter who was of course his step-mother

[chorus]

(He's his own grandpa) Now you're catching on.

(He's his own grandpa) Well naturally!

It sounds funny I know, but really its so.

(He's his own grandpa) Well wait a minute, get a load of this!

Now his father's wife had a son who kept them on the run,

So he became his grandchild for he was his daughter's son.

His wife is now his mother's mother and of course that makes him blue

Because although she's his wife she's his grandmother too!

(He's his own grandpa) Fun in the living room

(He's his own grandpa) Absolutely!

It sounds funny i know, but really it's so.

(He's his own grandpa) Yea, but look, get the payoff.

Now his wife is his grandmother, then he is her grandchild.

And every time the guy thinks of it it nearly drives him wild!

For now he has become the strangest case you ever saw,

As husband of his grandmother, he's his own grandpa!

(He's his own grandpa) And loving every minute!

(He's his own grandpa) Oh tell me more!

It sounds funny I know, but really it's so,

He's his own grandpa.

He's his own grandpa!

That's fantastic vox, I've never heard that one before.

It does sound a bit like my family he he

Hello LFrost

I note that this is an old topic and that you have not been active for a couple of years but just in case you come across this:-

My mothers maiden name was Broadhead and I was always told that William Broadhead was an ancestor of ours but I never verified this.

My mothers brothers were Tom and Harrold and were Little Mesters. I believe the family had been cutlers for many generation. When I was young I remember some of my mothers relatives lived at Netherthorpe, Crookes and off Abbeydale Road. I think there was a connection with Corporation Street..

I was born in Sheffield and lived there for over thirty years but can not remember meeting any Broadheads that were not related to us.

Does any of this ring a bell,

PA

Do you have birth dates for your uncles? Or do you have the names of your grandparents? Just trying to get a handle to follow the line back.

Hugh

Do you have birth dates for your uncles? Or do you have the names of your grandparents? Just trying to get a handle to follow the line back.

Hugh

Hello HughW,

Unfortunately I have not been in contact with that side of my family for many years and I have little memory of them. My mothers name was Emma Agnus who I believe was born when the family lived in Crookes. I never knew my grandfather but when I was young we moved in with my grandmother in Clyde Road. My grandmother later moved to an old peoples flat in Hackenthorpe where she died, I think that would have been the late 50's or early 60's.

Sorry to be a bit useless on this but all records were lost a long time ago and memory is not so good, they were all just known as uncle * or grandma.

There are several trees on Ancestry for this family. One (which I haven't checked) shows your mother as the youngest child of William Broadhead (C1875-C1938) and Emma (c1875-1968). Emma (senior)'s maiden name was WADSWORTH but she had been married before to a Robert BLY, and married William as Emma BLY in 1898.

The children listed in this tree are as follows, with the first being a child of the BLY/WADSWORTH marriage :

Thomas George Bly 1895 – 1985

John William Broadhead 1899 – 1900

Sydney Broadhead 1901 – 1957

William Broadhead 1903 – 1904

Horace Broadhead 1905 – 1983

Edward Broadhead 1908 – 1910

Daisy Winifred Broadhead 1910 – 1910

Harold Broadhead 1912 – 1985

Emma Agnes Broadhead 1915 – 2005

William's father was Joseph Broadhead 1828-1887 who was, according to the tree, a saw grinder - so we are in the right 'area' for 'Bill' Broadhead and the Outrages.

Not directly relevant to your questions, but, have it anyway :

He was victualler of the Burnt Tree Tavern, 83 Hoyle Street in 1852. In 1851 was was living there with his wife's sister shown as head of house (at 24).

Caroline Wilgar, Licensed victualler (a new find !)

It actually says Caroline WILGOS.

As in...

Sheffield Independent

Saturday 9 Apr 1836

There are several trees on Ancestry for this family. One (which I haven't checked) shows your mother as the youngest child of William Broadhead (C1875-C1938) and Emma (c1875-1968). Emma (senior)'s maiden name was WADSWORTH but she had been married before to a Robert BLY, and married William as Emma BLY in 1898.

The children listed in this tree are as follows, with the first being a child of the BLY/WADSWORTH marriage :

William's father was Joseph Broadhead 1828-1887 who was, according to the tree, a saw grinder - so we are in the right 'area' for 'Bill' Broadhead and the Outrages.

Hello HughW,

That is brilliant information, thank you very much.

I had a feeling about my grand parents names but thought it might be my imagination. You have jogged my memory on a few more names as well. I remember mention of Robert Bly, and new well my uncles Thomas, Horace and Harold. I never realizes that Thomas was a Bly.

Thanks again - PA - Boginspro.

Here's a snippet of info from my dissertation on the Rattenings:

"As the inquiry progressed, and more details of the rising levels of violence came to light, Broadhead’s obstructive denials would not withstand the process and his demeanour shifted from that of bravado to a man recognising of his imminent defeat. It is notable that his son’s death notice had not long since appeared in the local news pages, though a cause of death is not specified, merely a curt note typical of the era, stating, “April 25, after a lingering illness, Thos. Wilgos, eldest son of Mr. William Broadhead, Royal George Inn, Carver Street, aged 26.

57 Sheffield Independent, 26 April 1867, p.3 issue 3905."

It is the only bit of info I was able to find at the time. If you had any other information about Thomas's death I'd be interested to know what he died of - also, rather interesting that he is aged 26 and bears his mother's name. Presumably, she was married previously.

On 9 August 2014 at 17:31, HughW said:

Joseph Broached was my 3xGreat Grandfather. Will post the family tree shortly.

Okay, (this is according to the marriage certificate I have in front of me):

On 8th March 1871 William Austin Marshall Toyne and Emily Broadhead (my Great Great Grandparents) married at the Register Office for Ecclesall Bierlow in Sheffield. The marriage certificate shows Emily's father as Joseph Broadhead, occupation Saw Grinder. The happy couple produced my Great Grandmother Annie Blanche Toyne, who in turn married into the Fairborn family and produced my Grandmother Helen Lillian Fairburn.

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 23:58, Leonr2z said:

Okay, (this is according to the marriage certificate I have in front of me):

On 8th March 1871 William Austin Marshall Toyne and Emily Broadhead (my Great Great Grandparents) married at the Register Office for Ecclesall Bierlow in Sheffield. The marriage certificate shows Emily's father as Joseph Broadhead, occupation Saw Grinder. The happy couple produced my Great Grandmother Annie Blanche Toyne, who in turn married into the Fairborn family and produced my Grandmother Helen Lillian Fairburn.

Hello Leon, I've found where William was living in 1879, he lived a stones throw from Sheffield United's ground at No 17 Clough Road, sadly the house has gone, I've attached a picture of what his home looked like, its just a few houses away from where William lived, the other photo which shows a gate post in the foreground and a small wall, this is where William and Emily lived, the tallish building at the back of the Petrol Station is United's Ground, you can see the Scimitar painted on the right edge of the building, William was working as a Clerk back then. If you could give me your grandfather Fairburn's surname Ill see if I can come up with something but I can only search my directories up to 1911.

I see you like Model Railways, that's strange as I collect engines.

17 Clough Road.jpg

Clough Road.jpg

001.JPG

Thanks for the post, I know  the area well as I was raised on Wostenholm Rd and attended Sharrow Lane school from 64-70 then Abbeydale Grange until 77. Was in Sharrow St John's Methodist scouts for years and one of the lads lived on Clough St.

As far as my own love of Model Railways is concerned, hears a picture of my layout in the garage (eventually it will be Bridlington covering the period 1935-1965). Hope you like it!

DSC02619.JPG

Anyway, back to the Broadheads (amongst others) I find it fascinating how branches of my family from 150 years ago lived in the Nether edge and Sharrow areas where I was raised. Are other people getting similar patterns with their ancestors?

hi. I went to newfield school with a irean broadhead who lived on john street bramhall lane.she had a lot of family that lived on the street.i would love to know where she is now,if any one can help?we were at school in the early 70 s.