Photos Sheffield

Guest helene hanff

Guest helene hanff

Hi

I have a series of photos from a friends album I don't know about copyright there are a series of photos of Sheffield during the war published by Photochrom Co Ltd Graphic studios Tunbridge Wells Kent and on the back of each a saying from The Prime Minister " This is a time for everyone to stand together and hold firm"

The collection consists of Sheffield Angel Street 86707, Sheffield Angel Street from High Court 86706, Sheffield Castle Street 86711, Sheffield from Castle Street 86710, Sheffield from George Street John Walsh's premises 86705, Sheffield from King Street 86709, Sheffield from the Moor 86703, Sheffield from the Moor 86702, Sheffield King Street 86708, Sheffield the Moor 86712, Sheffield the Moor from Prince Street 86701, Sheffield top of Angel Street 86704,

There are some photos that I don't know the source or street but I think they have been taken after the first world war to celebrate the end one shows the entrance to Thomas Frith & Sons Ltd Norfolk Works.

There is another series of photos from before the war but I don't know when with only the location mentioned as follows Sheffield Angel Street, Sheffield City Hall 9, Sheffield Endcliffe woods 5, Sheffield Fitzalan square, Sheffield High Street, Sheffield Mappin Art Gallery weston park 8, Sheffield Rivelin valley looking to lodge moor 10, Sheffield the university 7, Sheffield town hall 2, Sheffield town hall square & fargate 1, Sheffield Wyming brook 12, Sheffield botanical garden 8

I have permision from the owner to scan the images and share these with others can I put them on this site or what should I do with them I have attached the miscellaneous photos as they are definitely only photos

Thanks

Guest Trefcon

Brilliant images helene, the attached thumbnails look very much like before the Great War. The artillery troop look like Boer War troops on their return.

Would love to see the rest so is there a more senior admin that can decide wether to place them on here ?

Dean.

I have permision from the owner to scan the images and share these with others can I put them on this site or what should I do with them I have attached the miscellaneous photos as they are definitely only photos

Thanks

Hi Helene.

The only issues regarding images on here are those copied from other web sites or from books that are in copyright,

as your friend owns the photographs/postcards displaying them on here shouldn't be a problem,

feel free to upload the scans.

Thanking you and also your friend.

Steve

I wonder if it isn't a visit to Sheffield by royalty. Especially with the words "Welcome Again' and the royal coat of arms. The Boer War contingent look like the tail end of the parade, as the crowd seems to be dispersing after that.

Brilliant images helene, the attached thumbnails look very much like before the Great War. The artillery troop look like Boer War troops on their return.

Would love to see the rest so is there a more senior admin that can decide wether to place them on here ?

Dean.

Great pictures Helene.

I agree that there shouldn't be a problem sharing your friends pictures.

Question - What's the "Drink Stables" all about.

I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Anyone got any idea ?

Anyone got any idea ?

I know, what's it worth to you Vox ?

Anyone got any idea ?

Drink Stables !

'Tables to put drinks on' ... he he

Drink Stables !

Drink Stables is so much closer and less misleading than "Drink Stables" if that helps you Reuben ... it's a suggestion/instruction rather than a description of a place - almost like

Drink Stables

Drink Stables !

I have just read the post put into the "lets find loads of stuff" topic by syrup and his link to an old book, on Google Books, about The Sheffield Dialect.

If the book is correct on its interpretation of the local dialect then Steve is correct, -

Drink Stables = Tables to put drinks on

Guest helene hanff

These are the photos showing the war damage to areas of Sheffield. Thanks for the imput about the other photos I thought they looked old but hadn't realised they might be from the Boer war . Will send the next series separetly

Helene

Guest helene hanff

These are the photos showing the war damage to areas of Sheffield. Thanks for the imput about the other photos I thought they looked old but hadn't realised they might be from the Boer war . Will send the next series separetly

Helene

Guest helene hanff

Hi

Don't know anything about these photos the location is typed on the back of each photo.

Helene

Guest helene hanff

More miscellaneous photos. I don't know if they are anything to do with Sheffield. I know from googling Sarah Lloyd that she is not from Sheffield but thought it was quite interesting. The other photos could be from any where. Apparently the owner of the album was born in Sheffield and then moved away to work for Head Wrightsons the album is amazing and there are more albums I've not seen I would love to have all this history for my family ah ce'st la vie.

Hope you all like these photos

Helene

Stables & Co. Tea dealers, 1 Haymarket .. picturesheffield

When did the name change to 'Ridgways' .. picturesheffield

Ridgways Ltd, tea merchants, 1 Haymarket,

Kelly's 1925

Another view of the Drink Stables sign (well, Drink St bles, thanks to a large pillar.

This picture clearly shows trams with the route letters, which were discontinued in 1905 (according to Kenneth Gandy in Sheffield Corporation Tramways (Sheffield CIty Libraries 1985)). The tram on service D (for Darnall) dates the picture to post April 1901.

SteveHB's second picture sheffield link above, showing Ridgways, also has a tram with a route letter, suggesting that it was taken in 1905 or earlier, this in turn suggesting the change from Stables to Ridgways happened around that time. There is a similar picture in Charles Hall's Sheffield Transport.

Another view of the Drink Stables sign (well, Drink St bles, thanks to a large pillar.

This picture clearly shows trams with the route letters, which were discontinued in 1905 (according to Kenneth Gandy in Sheffield Corporation Tramways (Sheffield CIty Libraries 1985)). The tram on service D (for Darnall) dates the picture to post April 1901.

SteveHB's second picture sheffield link above, showing Ridgways, also has a tram with a route letter, suggesting that it was taken in 1905 or earlier, this in turn suggesting the change from Stables to Ridgways happened around that time. There is a similar picture in Charles Hall's Sheffield Transport.

Was Stables in 1893 - Reubens Ferneley was the Manager - they sold ... ?

possibly pre-dated to 1 Change Alley in 1852 ...

Guest Trefcon

Amazing images helene, thank you for posting these on here. Loved the naval gun images, brilliant.

Dean.

Drink Stables is so much closer and less misleading than "Drink Stables" if that helps you Reuben ... it's a suggestion/instruction rather than a description of a place - almost like

Drink Stables

Ouch !!

Big naughty man make Vox look like silly little boy !

Vox hang head, hide in corner.

Great pictures once again Helene - thanks.

I have found reference to the Young Sarah Lloyd mentioned above.

IPSWICH, April 26 .

The Ipswich Journal (Ipswich, England), Saturday, April 26, 1800;

The Hull Packet (Hull, England), Tuesday, April 29, 1800;

On 13 June 2010 at 12:11, helene hanff said:

Hi

I have a series of photos from a friends album I don't know about copyright there are a series of photos of Sheffield during the war published by Photochrom Co Ltd Graphic studios Tunbridge Wells Kent and on the back of each a saying from The Prime Minister " This is a time for everyone to stand together and hold firm"

The collection consists of Sheffield Angel Street 86707, Sheffield Angel Street from High Court 86706, Sheffield Castle Street 86711, Sheffield from Castle Street 86710, Sheffield from George Street John Walsh's premises 86705, Sheffield from King Street 86709, Sheffield from the Moor 86703, Sheffield from the Moor 86702, Sheffield King Street 86708, Sheffield the Moor 86712, Sheffield the Moor from Prince Street 86701, Sheffield top of Angel Street 86704,

There are some photos that I don't know the source or street but I think they have been taken after the first world war to celebrate the end one shows the entrance to Thomas Frith & Sons Ltd Norfolk Works.

There is another series of photos from before the war but I don't know when with only the location mentioned as follows Sheffield Angel Street, Sheffield City Hall 9, Sheffield Endcliffe woods 5, Sheffield Fitzalan square, Sheffield High Street, Sheffield Mappin Art Gallery weston park 8, Sheffield Rivelin valley looking to lodge moor 10, Sheffield the university 7, Sheffield town hall 2, Sheffield town hall square & fargate 1, Sheffield Wyming brook 12, Sheffield botanical garden 8

Thanks

post-5770-027541900%201276427440_thumb.jpg

The building at the corner of Commercial St and Haymarket in three of the photos,was the Post Office before the General Post Office in the square was built, the building is still there but is now forlorn and empty