Chaplains House ?

hilldweller

Looking at the Bacon's Large Scale Map I noticed that the building, which used to stand where the Hillsborough Bus Interchange is now, is marked as being the Chaplains House to the adjacent Hillsborough Infantry & Cavalry Barracks. I had always understood that this building was the home of the Officer Commanding of the barracks. I remember it as belonging to the Hillsborough Garage Group. Somewhere I have a copy of the sales particulars from when the military sold the premises. The barracks were completely self contained with their own chapel, hospital, and water supply sufficient for a long siege, fed from springs on the Walkley hillside. I was told by a relative, who used to work in the buildings fronting Langsett Road, that when a manhole to a tank in the basement was opened a great deal of water was still present.

HD

Guest Gramps

In the book From Bailey to Bailey it says -

"In the mid 1950s the Sheffield Insulating Company was formed and rented an office and storeroom within the Barracks. The company went on to occupy a large area of the site for warehousing and now the Company's headquarters are housed in the ex Officers' Quarters. The Garrison Commander's Quarters, after having served as a filling station shop, have long since been demolished, the site now being a garage and enlarged filling station."

The book includes a plan of the barracks that does show the property as the Garrison Commander's Quarters.

When the barracks were built there was a stream running down the hillside from Walkley which may have been used as a water supply, at least for the horses. The 1905 map shows several 'tanks' around the barracks and also several pumps and a well. I imagine several wells will have been sunk during the building of the barracks. With a complement of cavalry they would have needed a plentiful and reliable source of water.

Guest Gramps

It's entirely possible the Garrison Commander felt a bit exposed living outside the barracks and surrendered his comfortable quarters to the Chaplain ? lol

The house may have been built for a chaplain, but the chapel in the barracks was never used as such, but served, I believe, as a hospital. The garrison used St John's at Owlerton as their church. So it's possible there was never a chaplain at the Barracks, and the house was occupied by the Commandant instead.