Beaucamps Ligny

Guest Trefcon

Nice one Dunsby, i know Huddersfield Town have been informed about Larrett and have said they are going to put something on their site.

Dean.

Great Radio work Dean

Larrett

Looking at your press cutting looks like you could solve another mystery for this rotherham pubs web site if this is the same/right Britannia Inn in Rotherham where they have a gap for the 1915-1918 years!

http://www.rotherhampubs.f9.co.uk/BritanniaInnShaftsburySq.html

Sorry if barking up the wrong tree!

I was on my way to Derby the other day I heard on Radio sheffield that some bodys were found at Beaucamps Lignm.

I had a chill down my spine, sorry to be this way as my grand father was their you have his name on your lists.

I see you have him as 8116 Roebuck His correct title was

8116 L/cpl Larrett Roebuck

7 Marsh Street

Ickles

Rotherham

Be for going back in the Army he was a professional footballer for Huddersfield Town, the papers were signed February

26th 1915.

If at any time you wish a D.N.A test I myself or any one off the grandchildren are willing.

I myself are not to clever on the computer am 75 we had slate and chalk at our school.

cheers

Larrett

Guest Trefcon

Had my interview with David Walsh from the Star today, a good 90 minutes, and some pics taken :ph34r:

I felt genuine interest from David, just hope he can put into words and images my utterances!

Not sure when its printed, maybe not this week, which is a shame what with the Fromelles story in the news.

Dean.

Another nice one Dean! With all this media frenzy does it mean we've now got a celebrity in our midst?

Guest Trefcon

Quite pleased with the piece, dont know about the photo though ! Am i that old!!

Seriously though, the more exposure this story gets the better chance those in authority cant escape what i think is their duty to these lads.

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

UPDATE

The MOD's Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre has stated that the remains at Beaucamps will be subjected to the fullest investigation to ID them, including DNA testing.

The JCCC, (only two staff i believe!! ) is giving obvious preference to Afganistan at the moment, they also have another 40 cases of WW1 remains ongoing/pending.

So a possible wait of a few years before a full investigation.

In the meantime we are looking at ways to do some of the background work that will help the investigation when it starts. The York & Lancaster Regimental Association at Endcliffe Hall, are now on board too. In fact i was up there this morning meeting Colonel Geoffrey Norton. (He gave me a very nice tour of the hall ).

A reply from David Blunkett this afternoon arrived through the door, Liam Fox MP, the secretary of state for defence, stating to David more or less the above.

Lots more to do but things are now looking a lot more positive.

regards

Dean.

UPDATE

The MOD's Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre has stated that the remains at Beaucamps will be subjected to the fullest investigation to ID them, including DNA testing.

The JCCC, (only two staff i believe!! ) is giving obvious preference to Afganistan at the moment, they also have another 40 cases of WW1 remains ongoing/pending.

So a possible wait of a few years before a full investigation.

In the meantime we are looking at ways to do some of the background work that will help the investigation when it starts. The York & Lancaster Regimental Association at Endcliffe Hall, are now on board too. In fact i was up there this morning meeting Colonel Geoffrey Norton. (He gave me a very nice tour of the hall ).

A reply from David Blunkett this afternoon arrived through the door, Liam Fox MP, the secretary of state for defence, stating to David more or less the above.

Lots more to do but things are now looking a lot more positive.

regards

Dean.

Meanwhile, stony silence from Mr Clegg, MP

Guest Trefcon

Hi Peter, hmmm, it would have been good to get a response from him but i think he's not needed now !!

Dean.

Excellent work Dean

Quite pleased with the piece, dont know about the photo though ! Am i that old!!

Seriously though, the more exposure this story gets the better chance those in authority cant escape what i think is their duty to these lads.

Dean.

Hi Peter, hmmm, it would have been good to get a response from him but i think he's not needed now !!

Dean.

Never mind, I'll have my say come the next election.

In the meantime, great news Dean, well done to everyone concerned!

Thanks Peter, we seem to have got the answers and the committment we sought.

Dean.

Got a letter from Nick Clegg's secretary dated 12 August replying to my letter of 3rd July to say it was the MoD's responsibility and my letter had been forwarded. Better late than never?

Hi Bayleaf

Thanks for letting us know I might get one from my MP Clive Betts that was about same date. they could have woke up at Parliament or they might still be on Holiday

regards

Larrett

Guest Trefcon

The search for DNA doners has gone international, this from Canada -

http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/09/08/news/doc4c86e42491bcb752483321.txt

Dean.

HI Dean /Bayleaf

Thanks for the e/mail,have left a comment on the article it seems that this his world wide and could possible rush them up a bit

Regards

Larrett

Guest Trefcon

Hi Peter, it does show how important it is, there are still family members out there that know uncle 'Fred' was killed in WW1, but not where or how. To them its of the upmost importance.

No one is advocating digging up all the 'unknown to God' buried. But when unknown burials are come across then all avenues should be exhausted to identify them in my opinion. Thank you Peter for your continued interest on this matter, much appreciated. I will keep everyone up to date as and when i get info.

Larrett, i'll phone you tomorrow, i need to see you before next week i think.

Dean.

An excellent result from the Canadian article -

http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/09/15/community/doc4c9015e316514269015325.txt