Old Back To Back Houses Wincobank

Guest Wincolass

Guest Wincolass

Hi there ,

Anyone remember living in them or indeed any houses like these .

Or better still has anyone any photographs of old Wincobank around the 60s and before. I lived at number 63 Newman Road.

These houses had a neighbour joined on each side and also one joined on to the back. There was no kitchen or Bathroom, just one room.

People had shared toilets in the back yard.

Wincobank was totally different then, there were lots of feilds and open spaces, before they started building everywhere.

I believe it use to be a village. Has anyone else any memories.

Hi there ,

Or better still has anyone any photographs of old Wincobank around the 60s and before. I lived at number 63 Newman Road.

These houses had a neighbour joined on each side and also one joined on to the back. There was no kitchen or Bathroom, just one room.

Wincobank was totally different then, there were lots of feilds and open spaces, before they started building everywhere.

Back to backs- just off Newman Road

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s19061

Hi there ,

The subject of back to backs has been talked about before on here Wincolas. You may like to read what's been said.

Here's a link to another topic

And welcome to Sheffield History.:)

Guest jonceebee

I was brought up until 11 years old at 3/4 Court Vauxhall Road, we had a great walled drop into the back yards of Newman Road where these back to back houses were situated. We could jump down around 12 feet into the yard and run down a passage to get to Moveley's Shop on Newman Road, I recall Mr. Moverley very well, he used to freeze bottled orange and also make frozen lollies. He had a daughter called Karen who I went to school with at Wincobank Juniour.

Almost opposite this was Sharples the Fish & Chip shop, I still recall the smell of dripping to this day. Further up the road was Woollhouses shop (opposite the Wincobank Hotel) and further down Newman road was another shop called Bramwoods. There was another shop opposite which I cannot recall the name of and just a little down from there was Nancy's fruit shop, next door to the Church Hall, which became the boxing Gym.

I had friends who lived in the properties in Newman Road, they were three stories high plus a (Garrett) in the roof line. The properties were pretty poor to live in, but the friendliness and social life made up for it.. Tansley Street off Newman Road also had yards full of back to back houses, plus back yards and the matching outside toilets. Great memories of a poor but great place to live

Guest Stephen Appleton

Hi we lived on Ecclesiastes street at the bottom of Newman Rd I Haden a school friend called Kevin fearnley who lived in the back to back houses I also remember to frozen lollipops liked dandelion and Burdock the best