Channel Island Evacuees. Sheffield Photo

During WW2 some 23,000 ( surprised at this figure)Channel Islanders were evacuated when the islands were occupied. The only part of the UK to be occupied.

Sheffield like other places played host.

The photogragh may be outside Sheffield as I know trips were made. Fox House being a favourite. However the monument looks substancial. I have been through "Sheffield Pictures" and cant find a match. I imagine the remembrance day event was a different one to the photographed.

Sheffield libraries do not seem to have any information either. I would be grateful for any other info. on this topic. Miked

It look a bit like The Cholera Monument but the location looks wrong and it would be a strange place for

a Remberance Day Service.

It look a bit like The Cholera Monument but the location looks wrong and it would be a strange place for

a Remberance Day Service.

Sorry, I didnt intend that the card was connected with the outing. it does confirm though that there was such a society. i cant find any other evidence.

Thanks,

PS

I will try and find a pic of the Cholera Monument.

Thers a few on this site..

http://public-art.shu.ac.uk/sheffield/unk126im.html

Thanks Syrup,

I can see the similarity. The one on the photo looks old and could be five sided and the panels could be inscribed.

at least its not so obvious so as to make me look an idiot!

if its not Sheffield, what about Leeds or Wakefield. I know there were evacuees there.

Miked

Thanks Syrup,

I can see the similarity. The one on the photo looks old and could be five sided and the panels could be inscribed.

at least its not so obvious so as to make me look an idiot!

if its not Sheffield, what about Leeds or Wakefield. I know there were evacuees there.

Miked

Not made my mind up yet but this one does bear resemblance,

don't you think?

Not in Sheffield but about thirty or so miles away

Not made my mind up yet but this one does bear resemblance,

don't you think?

Not in Sheffield but about thirty or so miles away

THATS IT WELL DONE! Steve

The photo was taken from slightly to the left, bridge on right and side. It never occured to me that it was a road, I thought it was in a park. I think I do feel like an idiot. I think I may have walked past it! . I still couldnt tell you where it is though. One of the big estates?

It shows how even recent local history can be lost. Its not so long ago that I could have asked some of the people on the photograph.

It also looks like I have the only two bits of evidence that the Society ever existed.

Thanks

miked

On 21/03/2010 at 08:16, miked said:

THATS IT WELL DONE! Steve

The photo was taken from slightly to the left, bridge on right and side. It never occured to me that it was a road, I thought it was in a park. I think I do feel like an idiot. I think I may have walked past it! . I still couldnt tell you where it is though. One of the big estates?

It shows how even recent local history can be lost. Its not so long ago that I could have asked some of the people on the photograph.

It also looks like I have the only two bits of evidence that the Society ever existed.

Thanks

miked

Hi Miked,

It seems strange that syrup mentioned the Cholera Monument as there is a connection.

"There are references to cholera in the village in 1834 but Jesse could not have known of the link between contaminated water and the disease"

"So Jesse decided to tap a source at the foot of Bunster Hill,

half a mile from the village. Here there was a pure natural spring ...."

The History of Ilam Cross

https://docs.google.com/pdf

Hi Miked,

It seems strange that syrup mentioned the Cholera Monument as there is a connection.

"There are references to cholera in the village in 1834 but Jesse could not have known of the link between contaminated water and the disease"

"So Jesse decided to tap a source at the foot of Bunster Hill,

half a mile from the village. Here there was a pure natural spring ...."

The History of Ilam Cross

Hi Steve,

I would not have found it in a million years. Even after your clues I thought it was Rotherham way. How did you do it? Thanks Mike

On 21/03/2010 at 20:32, miked said:

Hi Steve,

I would not have found it in a million years. Even after your clues I thought it was Rotherham way. How did you do it? Thanks Mike

Hello Mike,

just a case of searching through images

and checking out any that beared a resemblance really.

Untitled - 2X.jpg

bottom image taken from Google street view https://goo.gl/maps/uDQbBiHr98bxW1pS7