History Of British Trams

SteveHB

History Of British Trams Part 4. total run time; 4 mts 52 sec

The first two minutes of this very old film was taken in Sheffield,

showing what looks to be the Moor, Pinstone St, Waingate & Haymarket.

I wonder what year it was filmed?

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-5fBxdr-Vg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-5fBxdr-Vg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Just to add that parts 1, 2, and 3 are also very interesting

The Sheffield footage occurs in 100 Years of Sheffield Trams (Online Video). The commentary on that film states it was filmed in 1901, which is quite possible - the single decker 126 was delivered in 1901, and the route letters seen on the trams were phased out in 1905.

The challenge is to find anyone in the film not wearing a hat or cap!

I think that the only thing I can read (having watched a dozen times) is "Mint Rock" (I don't claim to know anything about trams, route letters, models etc.)

From this I propose that the confectioners is Charles Butlers, Confectioners of 8 Haymarket; known at that address 1905 onwards, a hunt of 1901 Census may push that date back, or, if anyone has Directories betwen 1900-1905.

(I also found out George Bassett was a Butter and Lard merchant in 1852, but, that's another thing altogether)