Brickworks in Sheffield ?

Waterside Echo

TWENTYWELL BRICKWORKS??? Has anyone any information on it.... I keep digging up the bricks and I know the ruins are under my feet..

Twenty Well Stone Co

This quarry was located on Twentywell Lane in Sheffield and closed in 1939. Twentywell didn't actually have twenty wells.

The name is thought to be a corruption of Quentin Well.

According the Kelly's Directory, 1891: Twentywell Stone & Brick Works (T. J. Tinker, proprietor), stone quarries, stone saw mills, & brick

This is presumably the same Mr Tinker whose name is still comemorated in Tinkers Corner, Bradway.

(The T-junction where Bradway Road joins Prospect Road and the road to Holmesfield.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3523/3206059151_864b200d15.jpg&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/evissa/3206059151/&usg=__6yWMn2qZGYew7fqBW12b44p5y_M=&h=438&w=500&sz=209&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=ZvOtqE16QHjHSM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3DTWENTYWELL%2BBRICKWORKS%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4GGLD_enGB360GB360%26tbs%3Disch:1

Re the proposed Woodseats/Dronfield trolleybus route. Picturesheffield shows a brickworks on the site of what is now Morrisons at Meadowhead, just how many brickworks have there been in Sheffield and has anyone any photos ? W/E.

There was a brick works with a large Hoffman kiln located at Crookes. It operated over a comparatively short period between approx 1898 until 1910. It was located between Pickmere Road and Fitzgerald Road and the extensive clay pits extended right down to the Western Road, Mona Avenue area. At one time we owned a house in Mona Avenue that was built in a depression made when the clay was extracted. When the kiln was demolished I understand that the bricks were re-used to build some of the terraced houses in the area. The area was later used as the site for the Crookes tram-sheds which have now been demolished and the Catholic Church built. Many brick houses in Crookes are built with bricks marked on the frog with "Crookes Brick Works" or "Crookes Brick Co"

HD.

Twenty Well Stone Co

This quarry was located on Twentywell Lane in Sheffield and closed in 1939. Twentywell didn't actually have twenty wells.

The name is thought to be a corruption of Quentin Well.

According the Kelly's Directory, 1891: Twentywell Stone & Brick Works (T. J. Tinker, proprietor), stone quarries, stone saw mills, & brick

This is presumably the same Mr Tinker whose name is still comemorated in Tinkers Corner, Bradway.

(The T-junction where Bradway Road joins Prospect Road and the road to Holmesfield.

http://www.google.co...%26tbs%3Disch:1

Good old Tedbar J. Tinker, born Norton, Derbyshire. Great name he he

Twentywell Stone & Brick Works

In his book "Historical Notes about Bradway" Tony Smith says

The Quarry off Twentywell lane appeared on the 1840 OS map and it is thought to have been the source for the Stone for Beauchief Abbey.

The Stone and Brickworks were first listed in 1872 Whites Directory and shown on the 1875 OS map. It seems probable that it was first built to help supply the vast number of bricks for Bradway Tunnel.

It is also said that Tedbar Tinker owned the quarry before the coming of the railway and set up the brickworks.

The Brickworks closed in 1939, while the buildings and offices remained in situ for a further 20 years and were demolished in the mid 1950's. This co-incided with the start of the housing development in the area.

The quarry itself remained for a further 10 years and was filled in with demolition rubble when the "New Townhall" extension was built in the 1970's.

Castlerow Drive and Close where built on this land in the early 1980's

Extract from our OS map 330

I am not sure if Tony Smith's book is still in print, the copy I have was written and published by Tony Smith in 1998.

Guest Trefcon

In 'Wharncliffe & Oughtibridge Past' by Andrew Crofts on page 48 there is an image of a Roll of Honour for the Great War for the 'Yorkshire, Silica Fire Brick Works'.

I would love to get the names from the Roll but the image is too small to decipher. I have phoned Wharncliffe Publishiing to trace the author as to the where abouts of said Roll, but they didn't have contact details for him !

How do you track down an author ?

Dean.

In 'Wharncliffe & Oughtibridge Past' by Andrew Crofts on page 48 there is an image of a Roll of Honour for the Great War for the 'Yorkshire, Silica Fire Brick Works'.

I would love to get the names from the Roll but the image is too small to decipher. I have phoned Wharncliffe Publishiing to trace the author as to the where abouts of said Roll, but they didn't have contact details for him !

Dean.

Hi Dean

I've found another reference to the book which says DS Print & Design produced the book. They're in Sheffield, and might have some information.

They've got a Myspace with contact details

Dean.

Andrew Crofts Author

CroftsA@aol.com

Is this him?

Andrew Crofts Author

CroftsA@aol.com

Is this him?

Could be, but from searching earlier there is an Andrew Crofts who is a prolific ghost writer for sports people, 'celebrities' and many others.

Guest Geoff.L

I have a particular interest in the Park Brick Works, Sheffield otherwise known as James Robinson & Son on Blagden Street. James is an ancestor, my ggg grandfather, and his daughter Ann Robinson married William Lilleker - my gg grandparents. William was an engine tenter and manager at the brick works.

James Robinson was a brother of Joseph Robinson and Francis Robinson who became brick makers at Masbrough, Rotherham. To start with they were all in partnership as brickmakers but this was disolved in 1851 leaving James in sole control of the Park brick works at Sheffield and Joseph and Francis looking after the Masbrough business. Joseph died in 1861 and Francis died in 1867. The Masbrough company was later called George Robinson after the eldest son of Joseph. For a while James was also in partnership with George Robinson.

James also had a sister called Amelia Robinson who married James Mosley - some of their children were also involved with brick making - Mosley & Robinson traded at Parkgate, Rotherham.

A daughter of James married Alfred Armitage and in 1881 he was Manager of a Fire clay brickworks at Deepcar.

The obituary for James Robinson who died in 1885 makes very interesting reading:

The Late Mr. JAMES ROBINSON. - The funeral of the late Mr. James Robinson, brick manufacturer, Intake Road, took place yesterday in the churchyard of St. John's, Sheffield Park. Deceased rose from humble circumstances to a position of considerable affluence through the twin virtues of perseverance and thrift. At one time he suffered a great deal from rattening during the dark days of Broadheadism, having to live for many years with the windows of his house guarded with wire screens and iron bars to prevent explosive missiles being thrown into his dwelling. He, however, survived those troublesome times, and has for many years persued his calling undisturbed by "the trade," whose antipathy towards him was owing to his spirited introduction of machinery.

The house mentioned still exists but due to a renaming of roads the address is now City Road not Intake Road.

I would welcome any further information anyone may have on the Robinson Brick works in Sheffield. In particular I would like to obtain photographs of it and the immediate area. I have one photograph which shows a brick making machine in the background and in the foreground William Lilleker with I believe James Marrison Robinson and James Robinson it would have been taken no later than 1880.

Geoff.

Back in the early 1800s, William Ashforth was a brickmaker in Sheffield; then he moved to Edgebaston. Apparently, he made a lot of money, and invested that in properties.

He married Keturah Eggerton, and they had 6 children.

He died in 1850; in his Will, he was labled a brickmaker and broker. Cited, was the year 1836.

His father was James Ashforth. sdhaas

Guest helene hanff

My 4*gt gd father William Stubbs was a brick maker, in 1841 he was living at 97 Milton Street then in 1851 he was in 95 Thomas Street, I can't find him in 1861, but I know he died in 1866 living at Bath Street . His wife Hannah died in 1853 at 95 Thomas Street. In Whites Directory for 1852 he is a brickyard manager at Cemetery Road living at 95 Thomas Street. There are other members of the family who are alos brick makers.

Does anyone know anything more about the brickmakers of Sheffield and also which factory would he have been manager of?

Thanks

Hi Helene,

I can't help with the brickyard, but if you're in Sheffield there's a report in the Local Studies library by G.Hague called The brick-making industry in Sheffield, published by the Victorian Society that might help.

Any information / history on the Thurcroft Brick Works?

It must have had some connection to Orgreave Coke Ovens.

The electricians at Orgreave used to service the electric motors and switchboards.

I checked with a friend who's done quite a bit of work on mining, brickworks etc in the Porter valley, and got this reply.I've checked against the OS map of 1855, surveyed in 1850/51, but there is

no sign of a brickpit on Cemetery Road itself. Most of the surrounding land

is allotment gardens, hence "Club Garden Road" etc. The two brickworks that

I do know about were near enough where Waitrose is today and near Clarendon

Villas, shown on the map in our Mining and Quarrying Report.

A works roughly where Waitrose is might have had its offices on Cemetery Road, so could this be the one Vox has found?

Guest helene hanff

Thanks Bayleaf for that, Thanks to help on another site I have found out some more. I know from a court case on 8th May 1841 Brown v Richardson that John, William and Edward Stubbs were all employed by Roger Brown. The firm Roger owned was called Samuel Brown and Brothers according to the 1834 directory and they were at Division Street. Then in 1852 it is Roger Brown brick maker at 81 Division Street.

I hope this clears things up a bit, so now my question is do you or anyone else know anything about Browns?

Any information / history on the Thurcroft Brick Works?

It must have had some connection to Orgreave Coke Ovens.

The electricians at Orgreave used to service the electric motors and switchboards.

Thurcroft Brickworks was adjacent to Thurcroft Colliery and was owned by United Steel, as was Orgreave.

More information about Thurcroft Colliery & associated coke ovens and brick works

Twentywell Brickworks at Bradway has been mentioned in this topic. Post #29

The documented Brick Makers Mark was "20 Well"

However I have found some bricks with the mark 20 W

Both these bricks were found in the same location at Bradway, so I am assuming the 20 W is also Twentywell Brickworks

I can recall the chimney being demolished at the brickworks on Shiregreen Lane. Quite a crowd gathered. I suppose this would be in the late 1970s/early 80s.

Some data I have compiled from the book Quarries of the United Kingdom & Northern Ireland 1858

Listing - Owner, Quarryman, Type of Stone etc

attachicon.gifQuarries 1848-1.doc

Good stuff vox - earlier today i was walking home and saw this modern street name just off Darnall Rd, S9. Does it fit into your findings at all?