• David Hirst
    • Paolo Di Canio
    • Benito Carbone
    • Lee Chapman
    • Gerald Sibon
    • Other.....

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

its got to be David Hurst

Derek Dooley and Jimmy Dailey have this in common --they both scored five goals in a League match. I saw Dailey do it against Barnsley in Sept 1947. But Jimmy, a Scot, didn't stay long, and he has been largely forgotten. Dooley, of course, became a legend. Here's a DD song, and Dailey cartoon.

its got to be David Hurst

Derek Dooley and Jimmy Dailey have this in common --they both scored five goals in a League match. I saw Dailey do it against Barnsley in Sept 1947. But Jimmy, a Scot, didn't stay long, and he has been largely forgotten. Dooley, of course, became a legend,

Guest davecanning

Of those I've actually seen, without a doubt David Hurst. But the record books really have to point at Derek Dooley. Only wish I was old enough to have seen a Wednesday player knocking in that many goals in such a short time!

PS. I'm guessing that Gerald Sibon is on the suggested list as a joke. Now, if you're looking for one of the laziest forwards of all time, then he's certainly up near the top.

Guest davecanning

Oh no! I'd happily forgotten about Peter Feeley that someone else had mentioned as possibly the worst. I'm going to have nightmares again now!!!

Guest mexboroughman

Oh no! I'd happily forgotten about Peter Feeley that someone else had mentioned as possibly the worst. I'm going to have nightmares again now!!!

Seen quite a few and would not like to pick one but always wonder what Warhurst goals per game ratio would have been had he stayed at the club and continued up front.

Derek Dooley and Jimmy Dailey have this in common --they both scored five goals in a League match. I saw Dailey do it against Barnsley in Sept 1947. But Jimmy, a Scot, didn't stay long, and he has been largely forgotten. Dooley, of course, became a legend. Here's a DD song, and Dailey cartoon.

I remember Jimmy Daily very well, was'nt he brought in to replace another great striker Jackie Robinson?, but Dooley is the man for me,and I saw all these three great strikers play, and of course given me some wonderful memories

I believe top of the list has to be Derek Dooley because of his prolific scoring record upto his accident. But, when I first went to Hillsborough, Johnny Fantham was my hero. Mick Jones was the favourite for the other side of the city.

I went to the Sheffield derby in the mid 60's when there was a full house of 59000+ and I must have seen 5 minutes of that match. All I can remember was the Blades scoring in the 86th minute and the kop surging forward and having a glimpse of the Leppings Lane erupting. Never saw the goals. Spent all my time moving up and down the kop.

Happy days lol

Kevin

Guest BUXT0NGENT

I remember Jimmy Daily very well, was'nt he brought in to replace another great striker Jackie Robinson?, but Dooley is the man for me,and I saw all these three great strikers play, and of course given me some wonderful memories

You're showing your age! However, as a wednesdayite since my Dad took me from 6 years old, and who was brought up on Jackie Robinson et al. (dad regularly chanted the '35 Cup side to me ) i have to agree. Jimmy Daily, whilst only small for a striker, was superb. I beleive it was an accident to him that brought in a rough-necked redhead called Dooley, whose record must put him at the top of the tree. I have always said that DD was the perfect footballer! He only knew, the ball was round, and belonged in one place-the back of the net! In football, you only win if you do this more than your opponents. That was Dooley-fair's ambition , and how he acheived it!!!

As another correspondent has commented, Jackie Sewell was also an excellent footballer, but don't leave out one of Sheffield's own- Redfern (Ticker) Froggatt, who could spray passes all over the field with unerring accuracy, and provided a lot of the amunition for these guys.

You're showing your age! However, as a wednesdayite since my Dad took me from 6 years old, and who was brought up on Jackie Robinson et al. (dad regularly chanted the '35 Cup side to me ) i have to agree. Jimmy Daily, whilst only small for a striker, was superb. I beleive it was an accident to him that brought in a rough-necked redhead called Dooley, whose record must put him at the top of the tree. I have always said that DD was the perfect footballer! He only knew, the ball was round, and belonged in one place-the back of the net! In football, you only win if you do this more than your opponents. That was Dooley-fair's ambition , and how he acheived it!!!

As another correspondent has commented, Jackie Sewell was also an excellent footballer, but don't leave out one of Sheffield's own- Redfern (Ticker) Froggatt, who could spray passes all over the field with unerring accuracy, and provided a lot of the amunition for these guys.

Of course I am showing my age!This is a Sheffield History Site,and I am well past my three score years and ten!

Back to DD I will leave you all with one thought about him and his style of play, in the game today and the referees he would not have lasted very long after the kick-off before having the early bath.

Anyone who saw him play agree?

Guest BUXT0NGENT

Of course I am showing my age!This is a Sheffield History Site,and I am well past my three score years and ten!

Back to DD I will leave you all with one thought about him and his style of play, in the game today and the referees he would not have lasted very long after the kick-off before having the early bath.

Anyone who saw him play agree?

Got to agree fully. This is not to say that Dooley, for all his hustle and bustle, was a dirty footballer. It's simply a case of the modern game being 'touchy-feely'. The goalkeeper must not be challenged, especially in the air, in case he gets his jersey dirty. Robust tackling is not appreciated in the modern game. It is far less of a contact sport. None of this would suit the method in which the game was played at that time. all the great goalscorers were big, bustling and weren't averse to the shoulder charge, something missing from the mdern game. Still doesn't stop Dooley being among the great, big-men, the jackie Milburns, the George Robledos, the Raich Carters et al.

The biggest surprise is the number of yellow and red cards which we get in the modern game. How rare it was to see a Ref. get his book out.He could control the game by talking to the players, and more often than not, the players accepted his decisions.

Who's the best Sheffield Wednesday striker of all time ?

I've put just a few in the vote - there's the option of 'other' you can choose if you can think of someone else you think worthy of the title..

Well, there's Andrew Wilson for a start, and in more modern times you can only go for Johnny Fantham.

What about Tommy Tynan?

Tommy Who? Come on. with people like Jackie Robinson, Fantham, Dooley, Quigley, Froggatt, and Layne, Tynan shouldn't get a serious look in.

Then, think about some of the pre-war lads like Trotter (114 goals), Wilson (216 goals), scoring wingers like Hooper and Rimmer, etc, most of the more recent strikers wouldn't bear comparison.

Tommy Who? Come on. with people like Jackie Robinson, Fantham, Dooley, Quigley, Froggatt, and Layne, Tynan shouldn't get a serious look in.

Then, think about some of the pre-war lads like Trotter (114 goals), Wilson (216 goals), scoring wingers like Hooper and Rimmer, etc, most of the more recent strikers wouldn't bear comparison.

Today (7th February 2009) lol and maybe just for today, Marcus Tudgay!

Today (7th February 2009) lol and maybe just for today, Marcus Tudgay!

Well, of course, the history of the Sheffield derbies is filled with players who had one moment of glory in these matches...and then were forgotten. Hope it doesn't happen to your pal Marcus, and that he has a bit more derby day delight in the future.

Guest sammyopisite

Derrick Dooley as got to be the best striker to grace the blue and white shirt, the best way to describe him would be a very robust Alan Shearer type who would go through or over defenders instead of round them also Roy"Mo" Shiner had quite a good goal scoring record as well so did Alan Finney who could play anywhere across the forward line and cross with either foot from both wings at pace.

Guest tony.the owl

im amazed the great john fantham has not been mentoned.i spent my youth watching him and have great memories of the fantastic ammount of goals he scored for the owls!.

It has to be between David McLean; Andrew Wilson; Derek Dooley and David Hirst

David McLean 147 league and cup appearances 100 goals strike rate 1.47 games per goal

Andrew Wilson 546 league and cup appearances 215 goals strike rate 2.54 games per goal

Derek Dooley 63 league and cup appearances 63 goals strike rate 1 games per goal

David Hirst 358 league appearances 128 goals strike rate 2.8 games per goal

There is their stats but there has to be more to it than that. I am persuaded not to give Dooley the nod because, through no fault of his own we never saw the finished article. Some said he was England bound others said he was far too raw. One thing is for sure 62 league goals in 61 appearances is not to be sniffed at.

David McLean with only 147 appearances is a bit short on longevity but with great stats in strike rate department. However, fans of the day would wonder why we could have not got him earlier or kept him a little longer.

David Eric Hirst great general speed and like lightening over first ten yards Strike rate not right up there but in three seasons I thought he was unlucky enough to have hit the woodwork almost as many times as he scored. The acolade escapes him for my money because I think he could have done a little more to maintain his personal fitness. A great bloke and a great striker.

Top spot has to go to Andrew Wilson, old stories of him abound. But with 215 goals in 546 appearances spanning 20 years he has to get my nod as our top striker, though way before my time continuity and loyalty he has to stand head and shoulders above his fellow players.

Kenwyne Joel Jones

He was some relation to an old mate of mine Ernest Nixon, seem to remember meeting him once. W/E.

Guest withitowl

Try Roy Shiner he could score a goal or several 33 goals in a season I'd settle for that now.

Albert Quixall....the golden boy whose transfer to Man Utd broke the then English League record!