Vivian Sumner Simpson MC

dunsbyowl1867

In Sparling's book "Romance of the Wednesday" he refers to a Wednesday player Vivian S. Simpson who he says " was the best and most whole hearted player who wore the Wednesday colours .. the delightful amateur forward and charming personality Vivian.S Simpson, killed in France in 1918."

An MC and a hat trick against Manchester United ! What a hero!

Dean, do you have any WW1 records on Mr Simpson? Cheers.

Guest Trefcon

Captain Vivian S. Simpson, City Battalion.

Hi Paul,

afraid i have nowt in my files for this chap, not even a photo!

What i have got now though is his MIC,

Is his middle name 'Summer' or is it 'Samuel' ?

As you can see he landed in France on 20/7/16, would have been part of a draft of new 'blood' for the City Battalion after 1st July.

The son of George Joseph & Gertrude Simpson, husband of May Simpson, all Sheffield. KIA aged 33, he lies at Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension, Bailleul. He is mentioned along with his exploits in Sparlings 'City Battalion' in chapters 8/ 9/ 10, he might be in later chapters too but i stopped looking after 3! He won the MC. His name only appears on the 'Supplementary Roll', of ex City Bn. men who died with other units, i'd guess he could have gone to another York & Lanc regt. and died with them, as his MIC only lists Y & L.

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

Found him!

His MC citation,

'On 28th of June 1917 Capt. Simpson played a leading part in the attack on Cordorna Trench. He had also been heavily involved in the planning for this attack. He was the first man into the enemy trench and was involved in hand to hand combat with the defenders. Later he brilliantly organised the consolidation and protection of the newly won position. London Gazette 17 September 1917'

He was also mentioned in Despatches.

He was killed on Saturday 13th of April 1918 while serving with the 13th York & Lancs.

'Sheffield City Battalion', by Ralph Gibson & Paul Oldfield.

His middle name was SUMNER, i think Ancestry have him as Samuel.

Dean.

Thank you Dean excellent work and very interesting.

Paul

Found him!

His MC citation,

'On 28th of June 1917 Capt. Simpson played a leading part in the attack on Cordorna Trench. He had also been heavily involved in the planning for this attack. He was the first man into the enemy trench and was involved in hand to hand combat with the defenders. Later he brilliantly organised the consolidation and protection of the newly won position. London Gazette 17 September 1917'

He was also mentioned in Despatches.

He was killed on Saturday 13th of April 1918 while serving with the 13th York & Lancs.

'Sheffield City Battalion', by Ralph Gibson & Paul Oldfield.

His middle name was SUMNER, i think Ancestry have him as Samuel.

Dean.

An just for the record his Wednesday career was as follows;

Vivian Sumner Simpson

Joined 1901

Left 1907

Total appearances : 38

Total Goals : 11

in 1902/3 When Wednesday won the League he played 3 games

in 1903/4 When Wednesday won the League he played 7 games scoring 2 goals, that season they also reached the FA Cope semi final Simpson played 5 matches scoring 3 goals

in 1906/7 when Wednesday won the FA Cup he played 2 matches on the way to, but not, the final.

Now't to do with the War, but, he was a Solicitor based at 3 Independant Buildings, Fargate in 1911. His home was 3 Travis Place and I don't know where that is/was.

Now't to do with the War, but, he was a Solicitor based at 3 Independant Buildings, Fargate in 1911. His home was 3 Travis Place and I don't know where that is/was.

Travis place is off Broomhall Street.

His house is now owned by PC Properties and let to students. (are there any round there that aren't?)

It's quite a big house for it's type (it's the grey one). I did the carpets there a few years ago.

Google Street View

Great work everybody - anyone got his shoe size? lol

Birth March 1883

Simpson, Vivian Sumner Ecclesall 9c 399

Marriage June 1915

Simpson, Vivian Sumner v Marian M. Belcher Ecclesall 9c 823

Birth June 1916

John V. Simpson Ecclesall B9c 826

Up for auction, http://www.clevedon-salerooms.com/lot1_arch.aspx?[sale%20Item%20ID]=164633

"Medals – World War I Military Cross group of three comprising: Military Cross, British War Medal and Victory medal awarded to Captain Vivian Sumner Simpson, 12th Battalion York And Lancaster Regiment. Together with two good leather bound albums containing approximately ninety letters from Captain Simpson to is brother George, spanning his entire military service from 1914 to 1918, a printed biography and various other relevant letters, papers and photographs, his death plaque, paperwork relating to his Military cross etc Vivian Sumner Simpson was born at Beech House, Sheffield on 5th February 1883, the youngest of nine children born to local solicitor George Simpson and his wife Gertrude. He was educated at Wesley College, Sheffield before joining his father’s firm.

Between 1900 and 1907 he made 38 appearances as an amateur for Sheffield Wednesday, scoring 38 goals, including a hat-trick in a 6-0 drubbing of Manchester United. When war broke out in August 1914 he was anxious to join up but did not care to enlist as a private except in a Battalion of men of his own ‘class’. Word of this reached the Duke of Norfolk and the result was the formation of the 12th (Sheffield) Service Battalion, York And Lancaster Regiment. Vivian was the first recruit on the roll of this battalion who after training in England left for the front in June 1916 taking part in The Battle of The Somme. He played a leading part in the attack on Cordorna Trench and as the London Gazette reported “He was the first man into the enemy trench and was involved in hand-to-hand combat with the defenders. Later he brilliantly organised the consolidation of the newly won position” for this he was awarded the Military Cross and mentioned in dispatches.

In September 1917 he was wounded on reconnaissance duty in No Mans Land. He was invalided home and sent to Sunderland to train junior officers. This was work for which he had an aptitude and he was given chance to remain at home, far from the front line, but he preferred to rejoin his comrades at the front. On 13th April 1918 he was killed by a sniper in the village of Outtersteene whilst ‘moving amongst the men, cheering them up with his unquenchable optimism’. He was buried at Outtersteene, cemetery west of Lille, near the border with Belgium."

I think more than a few people would take issue with the statement that "When war broke out in August 1914 he was anxious to join up but did not care to enlist as a private except in a Battalion of men of his own ‘class’. Word of this reached the Duke of Norfolk and the result was the formation of the 12th (Sheffield) Service Battalion, York And Lancaster Regiment" !

That's right Steve. And the good news is the successful buyer was the Hallamshires, and in due course the collection will end up at the regimental museum in Rotherham.