Cobbled Streets

vox

Presumably the houses on the un-named lane are actually Barber Road.

The 2 houses which are shown numbered are 66 and 66a, while the houses on Barber Road either side of the lane are 64 and 68.

The houses on other streets nearby do not fit this numbering pattern.

I Should have noticed that!!

Chandos Street, Broomhill (unusual name)

Another one spoiled by tarmac and paint.

Why do they do that? (Rhetorical)

Google Street View

Here is the little slip road at the side of ex Woolies on Middlewood Road, I've looked

on an old map but it doesn't seem to have a name. Once upon a time you could get

down there to the Shakespeare back yard.

Here is the little slip road at the side of ex Woolies on Middlewood Road, I've looked

on an old map but it doesn't seem to have a name. Once upon a time you could get

down there to the Shakespeare back yard.

Makes me wonder about the reason for the central cobbles,

was the cobbled ally made like that.

Or would cobbles have been added at a later date,

perhaps to fill in a sewage/drainage duct?

I've wondered about that myself.

The one on the Hoole Lane picture is the same and I'm sure I've seen others like it before. (Where, I'm still to discover)

You may be right with the filled in drain. Seems plausible but:

There doesn't seem to be evidence of a similar pattern on wider, streets.

Just thought -

These 2 lanes have no pavement and the buildings form the edges. (The one at Hillsborough has obviously had the small raised bit added when the relatively new building on the right went up)

Therefore, the normal practice of cambering the road to the edges would mean water running against the walls, which would create damp in the buildings.

Conclusion - you're probably right.

However -

Why get rid of them?

Why would they bother raising the centre row of cobbles on (what would appear to be) such small, insignificant lanes?

2nd conclusion

I think I'm just waffling.

Something you can't quite appreciate from the photo is the fact that the nearby part of the Alley is flat, as you go further along the lane begings to dip. Remove the modern building/car park at the far end of the lane and the Alley originally continued on to a doorway, through which you were in the Car park of the Old Blue Ball. The doorway was closed one day per year to maintains access rights or some such. The left hand side of the Alley (behind Wollies) was the Don Bakery, still there until maybe 1968-69.

The left hand side was the Church, demolished mid-late 60's, Wilkinson's was originally built as a "Tesco" and opened by Bob Monkhouse.

The central cobbles would therefore have aided the run-off of excess water towards the Old Blue Ball car-park.

So there lol

Something you can't quite appreciate from the photo is the fact that the nearby part of the Alley is flat, as you go further along the lane begings to dip. Remove the modern building/car park at the far end of the lane and the Alley originally continued on to a doorway, through which you were in the Car park of the Old Blue Ball. The doorway was closed one day per year to maintains access rights or some such. The left hand side of the Alley (behind Wollies) was the Don Bakery, still there until maybe 1968-69.

The left hand side was the Church, demolished mid-late 60's, Wilkinson's was originally built as a "Tesco" and opened by Bob Monkhouse.

The central cobbles would therefore have aided the run-off of excess water towards the Old Blue Ball car-park.

So there lol

Consider me educated lol

Thought : :huh:

Can we possibly morph this one from cobbles, via drains to another toilets discussion ?? lol

Consider me educated lol

Thought : :huh:

Can we possibly morph this one from cobbles, via drains to another toilets discussion ?? lol

Quite easily ...

I probably know that particular Alley better than any other Street, Road or Alley anywhere ... I worked as Saturday Lad at Woolworths.

Follow the middle cobbles along the Lane, through the "removed" new car park, head for the doorway in the bricked up narrowest part of the Lane ... head through the door, on the right is the side wall of Tesco/Wilkinsons, on the left is the Old Blue Ball ... which bit of the Old Blue Ball, yup, that's right the Gent's.

So there lol

Sorry . I had the Old Blue Ball in mind but typed Shakespeare.

I remember the Tesco opening but it didn't seem to last long. Did this alley have a name?

You had access to both Pubs; name of the Alley ... mmmm, I don't actually recall a name. It is shown on the 1950's map with the bakery, don't know which map it is mind you, maybe a grown-up can help with that.

You had access to both Pubs; name of the Alley ... mmmm, I don't actually recall a name. It is shown on the 1950's map with the bakery, don't know which map it is mind you, maybe a grown-up can help with that.

Link to Map #241

Birkendale Road, top half anyway. They didn't even try taking the GoogleMobile up there.

Very long link :

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=...221.85,,0,-6.18

(Someone remind me how to hide stoopid links like that behind some nice text please. I've forgotten, again).

The easiest way to answer that Richard is:

Bottom right hand side of your "Add Reply" text box it says BB Code Help.

I can never remember either so I have to look at the help every time.

Quite easily ...

I probably know that particular Alley better than any other Street, Road or Alley anywhere ... I worked as Saturday Lad at Woolworths.

Follow the middle cobbles along the Lane, through the "removed" new car park, head for the doorway in the bricked up narrowest part of the Lane ... head through the door, on the right is the side wall of Tesco/Wilkinsons, on the left is the Old Blue Ball ... which bit of the Old Blue Ball, yup, that's right the Gent's.

Aha but

It looks as though there's a gate across the pub yard just in front of the toilets so if the place was closed you'd have to walk all the way to -

(Below)

This one is in good condition as it's closed to vehicles,

just in need of a bit of weeding.

Gregory Road in Heeley.

This one is in good condition as it's closed to vehicles,

just in need of a bit of weeding.

Gregory Road in Heeley.

That really is a nice one Steve.

I quite like the grass. Shame it's impossible to just keep it like that but not let it get any more overgrown.

I have the same problem with the flags on our paths at home. They look nice with just a little bit of plant life poking through, but before you know it it's gone too far.

I passed a good one last week but I didn't have my camera with me.

I've since tried to get it on Google street view but when I get the exact spot it seems to

want to print further down the road. Does anyone else have that problem?

So the address is Conduit Lane on the right hand side going up Crookesmoor road near

Conduit road. It also has a kind of guttering running down the middle with a grate at the bottom.

Can any one get this on screen for me ?

I passed a good one last week but I didn't have my camera with me.

I've since tried to get it on Google street view but when I get the exact spot it seems to

want to print further down the road. Does anyone else have that problem?

So the address is Conduit Lane on the right hand side going up Crookesmoor road near

Conduit road. It also has a kind of guttering running down the middle with a grate at the bottom.

Can any one get this on screen for me ?

Can't think whats causing your problem!

This is the one ukelele lady, link Here

Google St View image

Can't think whats causing your problem!

This is the one ukelele lady, link Here

Google St View image

Thank you Steve , that's the one.

Guest tsavo

Hillsborough road.

Now that's got me puzzled, UL. I seem remember the old Post Office being on Hillsborough Rd and it was dead flat. Could this be Hillsborough Place?

Just a thought.