They Appeared At The City Hall

dunsbyowl1867

ITMA

Saturday, May 29 1943 at 6 pm.

Personal appearance of the famous stars of "ITMA" (by courtesy of the BBC)

Tommy Handley

"ITMA" himself.

Dorothy Summers

Mrs. Mopp

"Can I do you now, sir ?"

Never thought we'd see one from the War years ...

Reginald Dixon

August 2nd, Bank Holiday, at 6.30 pm.

Personal appearance of the renowned Blackpool Tower organist

REGINALD DIXON

In a popular holiday programme of Radio Favourites

supported by All-Star artistes

Halle Orchestra

Friday, August 13th 1943

First fortnightly Symphony Concertby the Re-formed

HALLE ORCHESTRA

with itsfamous new conductor

JOHN BARBIROLLI

Overture Mastersingers Wagner

Wings for Victory

The Exhibition

at the City Hall

will b open from 10 am until 7 pm

every day this week

May 29th 1943, Clementine Churchill, Wing Commander Guy Gibson VC ...

I've looked through all these post but I can't find a date when Mario Lanza appeared

at the City Hall. At a guess I would say 1959.

Each time there's some sort of past variety program on the TV in which they feature

Mario Lanza , they always show the picture which was taken outside the City Hall

where Mr Lanza is sat in a taxi.

I'm beginning to believe he didn't have many pictures taken in London

Nowt of an answer, but I'm looking ...

In May 1957, Mario Lanza moved with his family to Rome where he made two further films " The Seven Hills of Rome" (MGM /Titanus 1957) and "For The First Time" (MGM/CCC1958). Whereas in 1949, he had felt that his voice was too immature to open the season at "La Scala" or to join the Metropolitan Opera in New York, he now felt that his voice had matured and was ready for the opera stage. First, it is said that arrangements were made to complete studio performances of the great operas with Maria Callas. Lanza then made extended concert tours in Europe, starting in November in England with the Royal Command Performance, followed by nation-wide tours including the Royal Albert Hall, Birmingham and Sheffield Concerts. He sang in Belgium, Holland, France and Germany.

Source

Nowt of an answer, but I'm looking ...

In May 1957, Mario Lanza moved with his family to Rome where he made two further films " The Seven Hills of Rome" (MGM /Titanus 1957) and "For The First Time" (MGM/CCC1958). Whereas in 1949, he had felt that his voice was too immature to open the season at "La Scala" or to join the Metropolitan Opera in New York, he now felt that his voice had matured and was ready for the opera stage. First, it is said that arrangements were made to complete studio performances of the great operas with Maria Callas. Lanza then made extended concert tours in Europe, starting in November in England with the Royal Command Performance, followed by nation-wide tours including the Royal Albert Hall, Birmingham and Sheffield Concerts. He sang in Belgium, Holland, France and Germany.

Source

Just read the " Source " it says about the song " The Lord's Prayer " never being released, that can't

be right. I've got him on record singing it.

"My cousin went to see him live at Sheffield City Hall in 1958, Mario did not use a microphone, his voice filled the huge hall. I wish I had been there."

Source

Getting closer

"The year before Mario Lanza died, Tony went to see him at Sheffield City Hall, (which would be around 1957/58), he said he would never forget that voice, filling this large hall, without a microphone."

Source

I've looked through all these post but I can't find a date when Mario Lanza appeared

Each time there's some sort of past variety program on the TV in which they feature

Mario Lanza , they always show the picture which was taken outside the City Hall

Early 1958 if 1959 at all :

In April 1959, Lanza suffered a minor heart attack, followed by double pneumonia in August. He died in Rome in October of that year at the age of 38 from a pulmonary embolism after undergoing a controversial weight loss program colloquially known as "the twilight sleep treatment," which required its patients to be kept immobile and sedated for prolonged periods.

Source

Closer, ever closer March 16th 1958

Some Sheffield City Hall dates for the They appeared at .. Sheffield City Hall also.

e.g. Chris Barber's Jazz Band, February 22nd 1958.

I've looked longer and harder for an answer to this than anything I've ever done before and all to no avail - sorry - but I tried my level best. Kept me busy for hours mind you

I've looked longer and harder for an answer to this than anything I've ever done before and all to no avail - sorry - but I tried my level best. Kept me busy for hours mind you

I'll settle for 1958 then, we don't want you finishing up like Mario. :o

Guest Reddles

Difficult to believe and I might have missed it but I see no mention of THE Bay City Rollers coming to Sheffield.

Can't remember the exact date I went - my dad had to come and fetch me due to the 'trouble' caused by masses of teenage girls attacking any vehicle they thought might contain the lads. Ah halycon days- queue for hours for tickets for whatever concert then after the show run round to the Grovsner House Hotel because we believed all the bands stayed there and we might catch a glimpse. Don't know what we thought we would do if we did catch up with them!

Just to reassure - my musical taste did improve!! Lindisfarne christmas(?) concerts helped my rehab!

R

My friend Fay works at the City Hall and she is full of interesting stories of behind the scenes stuff. She was telling me one day about when Wet Wet Wet played there. She was told to block one of the passageways so that Marti Pellow (lead singer with the band) could use it. She was told to turn everyone away. Loads of people were trying to pass, but Fay wouldn't let them, saying this is reserved for Marti Pellow. One person said can I come through. "No this is only for...." And the voice said "I am Marti Pellow!" And it was lollol lol

18 April 1953, I was at Sheffield City Hall for a concert by the Halle Orchestra entitled "Masterpieces of English Light Music" (few major orchestral series would consider such a programme nowadays).

After a first half, conducted by George Weldon, of Sullivan, German, Percy Grainger (not "English", but never mind) and Haydn Wood, Coates himself took over the baton for the second half, which was entirely devoted to his music. It is perhaps worth recalling the pieces he conducted, as these may have been some of his particular favourites:

Prelude and Hornpipe from the Four Centuries suite, one of the most attractive bits of historical pastiche by a British light music composer; the delicious "Dance of the orange Blossoms" from The Jester at the Wedding; the Saxo-Rhapsody (Soloist, Walter-Lear); By the Sleepy Lagoon; and Three Elizabeths.

A Splendid concert; Eric Coates was a fine conductor of his own music.

Source

Tuesday 7thJanuary, 1947 International Subscription Celebrity Concerts

Sheffield City Hall, England (7 pm)

Soloist: Claudio Arrau.

Bach: Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue

Beethoven: Sonata Op.57 Appassionata

Chopin: Ballade in A flat major

Chopin: Berceuse

Chopin: Scherzo in E major

Chopin: Two études: Op.25 No.5 and Op.10 No.4

Interval

Ravel: Alborada del gracioso

Debussy: Two études - Pour des cinq doigts. Por les octaves.

Albéniz: Navarra (original version)

Granados: El pelele (from 'Goyescas')

Programme. Programme notes. Photos. Oncoming programmes.

Layout of Arrau's January tour of the UK.

5th January, 3:00 pm, Royal Albert hall, London

7th January, 7:00 pm, Sheffield City Hall

8th January, 6:45 pm, Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool

11th January, 3:00 pm, Usher Hall, Edinburgh

13th January, 7:30 pm, St Andrew's Hall, Glasgow

14th January, 7:00 pm, Newcastle City Hall

17th January, 8:00 pm, Belfast Assembly Hall

19th January, 3:00 pm, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London

20th January, 7:00 pm, Birmingham Town Hall

16-page booklet. 13.9 cm x 21.6 cm.

Tuesday 7th January, 1947 International Subscription Celebrity Concerts

Sheffield City Hall, England

Soloist: Claudio Arrau.

Very brief biographical notes.

Flier. 20.3 cm x 12.8 cm

Source

also

Saturday 3rd December, 1949

Sheffield City Hall, London

The Halle Orchestra

Schumann's Piano Concerto

Conductor: Sir John Barbirolli. Soloist: Claudio Arrau.

[The program also included symphonic music by Smetana, Debussy and Elgar]

Notes on the works performed and future programmes.

12-page booklet. 14.0cm x 21.3cm.

Item autographed by Sir John Barbirolli.

Arrau ???

Acts that have appeared at the City Hall

&

Known dates .

17 April Genesis

Genesis -Live Sheffield City Hall Sheffield, UK 1980

Genesis - Sheffield City Hall

Sheffield, UK

April 17, 1980

FM Source @256

Track List:

01 - Deep In The Motherlode (5:56)

02 - Dancing With The Moonlit Knight (opening section) (1:53)

03 - The Carpet Crawlers (5:50)

04 - Squonk (7:41)

05 - One For The Vine (15:28)

06 - Behind The Lines (5:21)

07 - Duchess (6:56)

08 - Guide Vocal (1:46)

09 - Turn It On Again (4:38)

10 - Duke's Travels (7:14)

11 - Duke's End (2:18)

12 - Introduction (1:04)

13 - Say It's Alright Joe (10:25)

14 - The Lady Lies (6:24)

15 - Ripples (12:31)

16 - In The Cage (7:27)

17 - The Colony Of Slippermen (1:12)

18 - Afterglow (4:25)

19 - Follow You Follow Me (4:28)

20 - Dance On A Volcano (4:46)

21 - Drum Duet (0:53)

22 - Los Endos (7:44)

23 - I Know What I Like (9:16)

Source

I went to see the 50th anniversary memorial tour of Buddy Holly last year at the City Hall (2nd March 2008) and got the souvenir programme.

I have searched through it to try and find the exact date of the original 1958 appearance but the programme only quotes

4th March 1958

Search for Sheffield City Hall