Maud Maxfield

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

The name Maud Maxfield is well known in Sheffield, but can anyone tell me the story of the lady of that name. I believe she was the daughter of a Sheffield silversmith, and I feel sure that what she did for the deaf and the blind pupils in Sheffield merits a place among the list of local celebrities.

Guest Trefcon

Maud Maxfield.

Old Canny' look out for the book 'A History of East Hill House'.

Quite a bit about Maud in there. There's a copy at Firth Park Library, no there isn't, it's at my house, but it'll be back next week!

Dean.

I seem to recall from somewhere that Maud Maxfield was the first interment at Crookes Cemetery Sheffield, The cemetery I believe was opened in 1906 but some form of dispensation was given that allowed her to be buried there.

Maud Maxfield.

Quite a bit about Maud in there. There's a copy at Firth Park Library, no there isn't, it's at my house, but it'll be back next week!

Dean.

I'm just grateful that someone has latched on to this thread at last. The "silence" was starting to worry me!

Guest plain talker

The school on Ringinglow Road, next door to Bents Green Open Air School was called "Maud Maxfield School For The Deaf".

We had a "partially hearing Unit" at High Storrs, and the pupils in the PHU had so many lessons per week at MMS, and a teacher would come into HSS, and do lessons with the pupils there, too.

After it closed as a school for the deaf, it became a school for children who had emotional/ behavioural difficulties, and or Learning Difficulties. This closed down at least 10 years ago, and then temporarily housed Refugees.

The land, being prime building land, in a desirable area of the city, naturaly meant that the school was demolished, and a swish estate was built on the land.

Just to satisfy my curiosity I went for a walk up to Crookes Cemetery yesterday in the hope of locating the first grave in Crookes Cemetery. I believed that it was that of the Maxfield's and after a "bit" of searching, I found it. It is located on the main path that cuts through the Cemetery and is on the left hand side as you walk in from the Headland Road entrance. It is before the path to the chapel.

Rather surprisingly, the Council's special dispensation is mentioned on the headstone (see above)

The Council now reckon that there are over 29,000 burials in the Cemetery

Maud Maxfield.

Dean.

does anyone know where i can buy a copy of a history of east hill house by hilda burton?

does anyone know where i can buy a copy of a history of east hill house by hilda burton?

According to the library catalogue it was published in 2005 so is quite possibly out of print. Your best bet is probably the second hand bookshops, though places like the Sheffield Shop on Surrey street or the one on Ecclesall Road might possibly have a copy.

Guest Pontorson

My mother just told me that Maud Maxfield was her paternal grandmother's sister (or cousin) she can't remember which. Hence my searching and finding this thread! Coincidentlally, my father's first job was designing an extension to the Mauld Maxfield School. Presumably this was the replacement for the original which, I think, was destroyed in the December 1940 air raids.