Castle House

Guest italy

Did anyone work in the co op in Snig Hill in the 1950's, it was called Castle House. I worked in the cash office there from 1954 - 1960. I believe it has gone now, I haven't been to Sheffield for many years.

Did anyone work in the co op in Snig Hill in the 1950's, it was called Castle House. I worked in the cash office there from 1954 - 1960. I believe it has gone now, I haven't been to Sheffield for many years.

Hi Italy

Have you seen this other topic about Castle House Link to Topic

Guest kentblade

I worked for the Co-op in Snig Hill,starting in 1957.

The Coperative Bank and stayed 40 years, but not in Sheffield.

Left 1969 to Grimsby,which was the start of a moving around excercise.

I worked at the co-op Exchange street in the office but find it strange that you worked Snig Hill in 1950s because Castle house was not built till 1962. Then we were all transfered to Castle House and Exchange Street closed. Are you sure it wasn't Exchange Street where you worked ?

Guest kentblade

The Co-operative Bank,or the CWS Bank as it was in those days was on the left hand side of Snig Hill with the bus stop outside and opposite Leyland Paints.

Just above the bank was the Black Swann,

The bank moved to West Street around 1963, its present home.

The Co-operative Bank,or the CWS Bank as it was in those days was on the left hand side of Snig Hill with the bus stop outside and opposite Leyland Paints.

picturesheffield - s23751

Now I see Kentblade the CWS bank not the Co-op store. Was it called Castle House then as Italy sugests because I assumed with him saying Castle house that he meant the building that is now called that.

Guest kentblade

Now I see Kentblade the CWS bank not the Co-op store. Was it called Castle House then as Italy sugests because I assumed with him saying Castle house that he meant the building that is now called that.

I recall Castle House which I thought was where the B&C was and that it was on the rhs going down from the High Street, but it is now a long time ago, so my memory could be playing tricks.

The only time that I get to Sheffield now is on a visit to the Lane, but that is infrequent.

We did spend some time in Sheffield a few years ago but the placed has changed from the Sheffield I knew and grew up in.

Still it is a great city and proud that I was born there as were my two daughters.

My parents are buried in Todwick church yard..

My mother, Kath Worrall was a board member of the B&C until she retired in 1980. Board meetings were held in the board room on the top floor of Castle House, under a large water colour of the orginal Sheffield Castle. The Society Secretary for a good amount of time my mum was a board member was Mr Lesley Hartle. As a young woman she also worked in the office of the orginal Castle House which was bombed in the Sheffield blitz. As a young kid I remember visiting the temporary 'Castle House' which was somewhere on Angel Street. This store was prefabricated and was labrinth of joined up boxes on different levels. I remember Castle House opening in 1962, it appeared so modern to a 10 year old, it even had a lift. Just about everything we bought came from the B&C, our savings where in B&C penny accounts. I even had my own share No. when I started at Hurlfield School in1963, very useful to use at Abourthorn Branch. Both the B&C and S&E where vast enterprises offering a range of services.

Wazzie Worrall

And now it's moved again. As part of the cuts and the current state of things, the bank has now moved to what was (still is?) the Brittania Building Society on Pinstone Street.

Can anybody confirm that during the first few days Castle House opened, a child was killed when he leant over the banister on the spiral staircase. For safety they had to increase the height of the banisters. It might be just my memory playing tricks. 

Just now, Lysanderix said:

Yes, it actually happened. Shortly after the event the circular stairway had its safety rail increased in height.

Thank you Lysanderix. 😁

On 23/11/2008 at 13:43, Stuart0742 said:

Hi Italy

Have you seen this other topic about Castle House Link to Topic

Hi Italy from Cornwall 

I worked in the men’s outfitters. My first job on leaving school 1963 . The co op went through a major refurbishment during that time . It was a lovely first job , everyone treated you like family. Still remember the staff, we all had to wear black and the staff went out of their way to give the customer all their attention .sadly those days have long gone.I havnt lived in Sheffield for many years . Sorry to hear the building no longer exists.

Regards Suzy

On 26/11/2022 at 13:16, Suzy said:

Hi Italy from Cornwall 

I worked in the men’s outfitters. My first job on leaving school 1963 . The co op went through a major refurbishment during that time . It was a lovely first job , everyone treated you like family. Still remember the staff, we all had to wear black and the staff went out of their way to give the customer all their attention .sadly those days have long gone.I havnt lived in Sheffield for many years . Sorry to hear the building no longer exists.

Regards Suzy

Hi Suzy, I can tell you the building is still there and does have some businesses in there keeping it going. For a long time after the co-op closed it, Sheffield Central Post office took the ground floor which led out to the subway and were there for many years as my mate worked there. The subways were closed eventually, when the 'hole in the road' was filled in and the Post office moved to inside Wilkinsons shop. There is still a supermarket on the lower ground level on Angel street.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2022 at 14:02, Bikeman said:

Hi Suzy, I can tell you the building is still there and does have some businesses in there keeping it going. For a long time after the co-op closed it, Sheffield Central Post office took the ground floor which led out to the subway and were there for many years as my mate worked there. The subways were closed eventually, when the 'hole in the road' was filled in and the Post office moved to inside Wilkinsons shop. There is still a supermarket on the lower ground level on Angel street.

Thank you Bikeman 🙂

Sheffield sounds a  very different city now all the old haunts are now gone .In the 60s it had a vibrant city centre always had a buzz about it great character ,always exciting to go shopping on a Saturday and to  find something new to wear out  in the evening at one of the clubs ie: mojo , Esquire city hall ect Great times !!

Suzy 

On 05/12/2022 at 21:29, Suzy said:

Thank you Bikeman 🙂

Sheffield sounds a  very different city now all the old haunts are now gone .In the 60s it had a vibrant city centre always had a buzz about it great character ,always exciting to go shopping on a Saturday and to  find something new to wear out  in the evening at one of the clubs ie: mojo , Esquire city hall ect Great times !!

Suzy 

Yes I remember the 60s or rather, late 60s as being a vibrant city centre and even the 70s, which was my era. It was Meadowhall that killed the centre.

My older brother use to go to the Mojo, if that's the one on Barnsley Road run by Peter Stringfellow.

• Like 1