Presto Tools

Sheffield History

PRESTO TOOLS

Penistone Road, Sheffield 6 (the old Penistone Road, just off the new double carriageway)

Here's a few pictures found on a car website (of all places) where someone posted a load of pictures of what it looks inside Presto Tools these days..

Very derelict as you would expect, all the stainless steel and copper has been raided, and the building is now up for rent.

Wasn't Sheffield Wednesday's old Chairmen also CEO at Presto? Hence the west stand being the Presto stand for a while

No problem

I thought I could find one on t'internet but am struggling so will nip out and get one..

Guest kopman9

It was Bert MaGhee (That spelling looks wrong)

Its spelt McGee, his grandson is one a good friend of mine.

Also my mum worked for Bert McGee and she says he was one of the nicest person she has met, a true gent.

Its spelt McGee, his grandson is one a good friend of mine.

Also my mum worked for Bert McGee and she says he was one of the nicest person she has met, a true gent.

And the best Wednesday Chairman in living memory!

Guest Noise Heat Power

I used to go to a youth orchestra on Friday nights at Langsett Music Centre... and I HATED it! When we drove past Presto Tools it meant we were almost there, and I used to imagine I was shooting at the building. The experience so scarred me, I could have turned into some kind of deranged gun-toting Presto-hating psycho in later life. Luckily, I just turned into a psycho without accompanying firearms.

Just heard today that the long empty Presto Tools building on Penistone Road is to be demolished.

I drove past this afternoon and it looks as though they've made a start.

Sure enough it's on it's way down.

There's a notice saying they're stripping the asbestos at the moment but there were a few people walking about without "Space Suits" on.

Views along the Old Penistone Rd

Corner of Old Penistone Rd. & Hobson Avenue

Hobson Avenue with Presto on the left.

Rear of Presto from Hobson Ave.

No problem

I thought I could find one on t'internet but am struggling so will nip out and get one..

That'll be the end of that wait then :rolleyes:

http://www.presto-tools.com/History.html

Extract :

It was through the Iron Age and the Industrial Revolution, which it eventually gave birth to, which saw the full flowering of the toolmaking culture.

And nowhere on Earth did that flower bloom more brightly than in England and in Sheffield in particular.

Is, or more correctly, was this on the ABC streets ?

What's ABC Streets?

Four Streets in a row, one beginning with A, one with B etc - sure is was thereabouts ... - can't tell you what they were called though - decorating, got no resources to hand :angry:

Four Streets in a row, one beginning with A, one with B etc - sure is was thereabouts ... - can't tell you what they were called though - decorating, got no resources to hand :angry:

I found out.

Anlaby Street, Brough Street, Cotton Street, (Cottam Street?)

Driffield Street and Eden Street.

I can't find any of them on a modern map

Now I need to find them on an old one.

Here they are. Presto Tools was built over them. Which makes it a newer building than I thought it was.

Map shows Rawson Street and Hobson Avenue as well.

50's MAP No.32

See, I'm not just a pretty face ...

Come to think of it :blink: !

I found out.

Yes it's definitely COTTAM street vox, that's what's on the old maps.

I found out.

Hmmm...

Anlaby, Brough, Cottam (with an m) and Driffield are all in East Yorkshire on the north bank of the Humber

Wonder how such a localised (geographically) sey of names like these came to be used for streets in Sheffield?

Hmmm...

Anlaby, Brough, Cottam (with an m) and Driffield are all in East Yorkshire on the north bank of the Humber

Wonder how such a localised (geographically) sey of names like these came to be used for streets in Sheffield?

There is an Eden as well. - Well in a way there is.

Eden Camp near Malton. Althought it wouldn't have been there when these streets were named.

Perhapse Eden Street isn't in the "Set" and just happens to begin with the next letter. It is, after all, the odd one out by not being parallel with the rest.

There is an Eden as well. - Well in a way there is.

Eden Camp near Malton. Althought it wouldn't have been there when these streets were named.

Perhapse Eden Street isn't in the "Set" and just happens to begin with the next letter. It is, after all, the odd one out by not being parallel with the rest.

So whats the connection then between this area of East Yorkshire and a small area in Sheffield with these street names?