Silver Blades Ice Rink

Guest Desy

Did you ever go to Silver Blades in the 60's love to here from some of the old crowd.

Peter Key

Peter Briggs

Harry Stocks

Kev Hinchcliffe

Corrine Sunter

Susan Wildgoose

John Ellis aka Ellis St John

Jackie Murphy

Ray Davis

Linda Green

Pam Danks

Sheila Wilks

Cathy Conroy

What are you memories:

The groups on saturday nights

The go go dances at the top end of the rink

Penny nights

The inter ice rink competitions with Streatham,Hull,Nottingham :lol: Billingham,Bristol.

With barrel jumping

Ice dance

Short track speed skating

Ice handball

I went a few times possibly in the 70's/80's

Loved it - and can remember the music coming on for the speed skating and thinking "GET THE HELL OFF THE ICE - QUICK !!!"

I can hear the music in my head but can't remember the title of the track..

On Saturday December 14th 1968 One of the Ice Rinks first Dj's was killed in a car crash at the age of just 21yrs Chris had also worked at the Locarno. To celebrate Chris's life we held a south yorkshire best dj competition each did a 15 slot and the public did the voting. The top dj's around at the time entered Tony weston,Alan dale Jill saelby Pat sweetwater plus others. The final was voted by a celebrity panel headed by Peter Stringfellow. Pat sweetwater was the winner and received a mounted Silver disc.

Are any of the dj's around now and are you still spinning your cd's now?

1969 the heats were on Mon ,Wed,Fr and the final saturday forgot which month but I think it was in the spring.

Guest willo

:unsure: hiall,used to go to the skates in the early 70s,i think the music they played was nutrocker by b.bumble & the stingers. dah-dah dah dan- der der der der [i really shudda paid more attention in music classes at school-lol].

That's the one !!

Thanks Willo - it was starting to bug me that I couldn't remember.

Once that music came on I legged it (awkwardly) off the ice as fast as I could as the speed skaters started to accelerate

One of my mates thought he would be 'funny' and have a quick go once round the ice during the speed skate and ended up in a terrible mess

:lol: :lol:

Guest krammers

You want to try the proper speed skates you would never stand up .tried it once never again.

I tried it every Wednesday night and Saturday, loved it, had my own Turbo Bower skating boots.

My daughter went to a party at the silver blades rink this weekend and its now a roller blade rink, you want to try that, its

a lot harder than ice skating, but fun......

Ice Skating was one of those things that when I was doing it I absolutely loved every minute but not something I would ever think about doing

I have been tempted to go to Ice Sheffield but have heard about the chavs that congregate there and just can't be arsed..

used to go on Sunday nights as I remember can't ever remember paying though.Used to be given free tickets by some bloke/girl on the Moor as I remember.Don't know why but thinking about it now one of the songs that comes to mind for being played was Knock three times. Strange.

Use to work regular saturday night and go on the ice for a regular skate whilst the live groups were on stage.

Just before it shut down we started talking my little lad on a wedensday night and he loved it.

My other half who is from round these parts said that it was just the same as she remembered it from her school days.

We loved going there, having a rubbish burger or chips and cheese and having a natter with Dot, the lovely lady who haded out the boots.

Later on we seemed to get the impersion all was not well, just about the time they turnned it into a rolloer skating rink as the lady in the burger bar would often tell me about how they were all being messed around by management.

I loved it though.

Never went on the ice, just left the little un to get on with it and every now and again he'd come wizzing round and shout something about wanting a hot chocolate or something then before we'd leave we had to have a go on the arcade games together usually the driving games and as I'm a dad, I'd have to loose!!

We used to love to watch the Zambone machine go round too..I'd have loved a go on that beastie!!!

During the school holidays on either Tuesday? or Thursdays? my Mum took me and my sister down with some neighbours of ours for a slide about and a free bowl of pea soup. The neighbours kids skated with their skates stuck out sideways like a walrus. 1969 ish?

Guest genevafully

Did anyone used to have skating lessons at Silverblades, tea times i think.

Also can anyone remember panto shows on ice? :unsure: my sister has slight memories of her self in them and she thinks been dressed in green as an elf! she wonders if anyone has any info or photo's???

B)

Hello and welcome, Genevafully

I know this has nothing much to do with your above post...but we went there for a while a couple of years back with the kids.

My other half hadn't been there in years (since she was young) and swears blind that it hadn't changed at all since the early eighties!!

All the ice has gone now and we haven't been back since. While I'm typing this out though I can smell the place...those rubber mats as you walk in....the smell of the fried food at the cafe and the fog of cigarette smoke you had to walk through ... past the smokers room to get to Dot and her serving hatch where you got the boots from!

The skating lessons were run by and here is a few names: Kathy Conroy, Rafe and Elanor Caldicot, Trevor Walcott and a big buxom blonde who's name I have forgot.

The kids club that was run was the Penguin Club.

I used to look at the bowling downstairs from the ice rink when on my lunch from college.

The burgers were the absolute best with toasted buns.

Guest wunumpi

I'm heart-broken that the rink is gone. The majority of my class from Shirecliff college (now gone) used to go there every Wednesday afternoon for half the year (the other half was spent at Sheaf Valley Baths - also gone). We had a fantastic time. I had my first kiss there which literally put me on my back - while the heady strains of Madonna's 'Like a Virgin' pounded out from the speakers. If anyone knows a girl from Sheffield who's maiden name was Sandra Saxton and went to Shirecliffe College in 1985, please let me know. I missed her by one day at college and we never saw each other again.

My friends and I used to go at least twice a week in the 60,s. I remember on the 6/6/1966 every one was given a special coin with 6/6/66 printed .1 coin was printed incorrectly and whoever had it got I prize.Not any of us sadly.

It hardly ever cost us anything to get in as each time you went they used to give out free tickets for next time.

Many happy hours were spent there and many new friends and boyfriends were found.(a quick kiss and cuddle behind the stage)

One evening someone was shooting a film in Silverblades in the sixties and my friend and I were asked to walk through the ground floor coffee bar while they filmed us.We never did find out what the filming was for.

Good times :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Think I have made contact with one of the Skating instructors who worked down there Kathy Conroy at the moment she is working down in Peterborough waiting for her to reply.