The Royal Hospital

mickjj

The Royal Hospital was built in 1832 and closed in 1978 when it was replaced with the Hallamshire Hospital. I have found an interesting article on the early history of the Royal (see below) but am having trouble with finding any later information. I was working at the Royal when it closed and had the big "Transfer Day" of moving the patients out.

ROYAL HOSPITAL.

This institution was established in 1832 simply as a dispensary; but in order to provide accommodation for in-patients liberal subscriptions were given in 1857-8-9, and the building was remodelled and enlarged, accommodation being provided for 61 in-patients. In 1868 the building was again enlarged and the number of beds being increased to 105. The hospital is open to sick and lame persons of every nation, and there are separate wards for children.

His Grace the Duke of Norfolk is the president; Sir F. T. Mappin, Bart., M.P., and Sir H Stevenson, vice-presidents; Mr. G. F. Lockwood, chairman of the board. Mr. Philip K. Wake, treasurer; Dr. W. Dyson, Dr. H. J Branson, W. S. Porter, Dr. W. R. Thomas, and Dr. S. Roberts, consulting physician Dr. H. J. Hunter, Dr. Keeling, and Mr. G. K. Thorpe, consulting surgeons; Dr. Waterhouse, consulting surgeon-accoucheur; Dr. Duncan Burgess, Dr. Arthur Hall, and Dr. Crochley Clapham, physicians; Mr. R-,J. Pye_smith,,1), Dr Sinclair White, and Mr. H. Lockwood, surgeons.

A dental department was opened in 1896, and dental patients are seen every morning from 9 to to 10 o'clock. The dental officers are Mr. C. Stokes, Mr. R. C. H. Drabble, Mr. J. L. Pike, Mr. W. B. Tolputt, Mr. F. G. Mordaunt, and Mr. J. S. Allen. Mr. A. Young is the house surgeon; Mr. H. Hallam and Mr. T. Priestley, assistant house surgeons, Mr. W. H. Lee, house physician; Mr. G. M. Tomlinson, dispenser; Miss Stibbard, matron; Mr. J. W. Robinson, secretary; office, The Royal Hospital (Westfield terrace entrance).

The late Mr. Bernard Wake on accepting the office of treasurer, in 1882, undertook to maintain a bed at his own cost. Thus was instituted the first ,' endowed bed," and this worthy example has been followed by several other benevolent friends of the charity. Each endowed bed requires an annual subscription Of £31 10s., and anyone may have the use of a bed for a year for patients of his own nomination by payment of that subscription. The demands upon the resources of the institution having completely outgrown its capability, the Board of Management decided to provide enlarged accommodation. Donations had been made at various times in aid of a new building. and under the will of the late Miss Ray the hospital became entitled to a legacy amounting to between £10,000 and £11,000. Mr. Bernard Wake generously offered to give a sum sufficient to build the out-patients' department, this being roughly estimated something over £6,000; and the Town Trustees made a grant of £5,000 in aid to the building fund.

In these circumstances it was decided to erect a Hospital well appointed and of ample capacity, and which should be in every respect worthy of the city. Adjacent property was purchased, making the total area available site of the new hospital over an acre in extent. In 1893, plans and elevation by Mr. Charles Hadfield, architect, were adopted, and the building of patients' department was begun. It was evident, however, that the project in its entirety could not be carried without much additional capital. A bold appeal to the public, therefore issued for a round sum of £50.000, that amount being required for the building apart from furnishing. A public meeting, presided over by the president, his grace the Duke of Norfolk, was held in July, 1894, at which the claims of the hospital were forcibly and ably set forth by the noble Duke and other gentlmen . At that meeting and afterwards donations flowed steadily in,.but at the time of going to press with the Red Book " a sum of about £17,000 was still needed to complete the entire scheme. On the 11th May 1895, the first portion of the new hospital was formally opened by Her Royal Highness the Duchess of York, and on September , patients were received in it. Her Royal Highness afterwards laid the foundation stone of what will be known as the "Nurses' Home," whose front is towards Eldon-street. The home was occupied early in 1897. The administrative block, which will form a considerable portion of the main facade ie building in West-street, is now in course of construction. This block contains the principal entrance, secretary's office, elevator for patients, kitchens, &c.

Extract taken from 1898 (Sheffield Red Book)

Courtesy E Youle

Bernard Wake Ward

Interesting read..

What happened to the building ?

As with many other of our historical buildings it was demolished. Once the Hallamshire took over there was no use for it and it did not lend itself to conversion for other uses.

Guest wisewoodowl

Interesting read..

What happened to the building ?

It was flattened, and for a long while the site was used as a surface car park. The old chapel is still standing, on Westfield Terrace.

It was flattened, and for a long while the site was used as a surface car park. The old chapel is still standing, on Westfield Terrace.

The Chapel entrance was to the out patient department and at the back was the mass radiography chest unit. Actually I think only the front of the building still stands.

Guest ginney

Hello,

I remember when my dad was a patient in the Royal Hospital. I went with my mother to visit him. It was like stepping

back into the Florence Nightingale time. The nurses uniforms were so victorian. This was about 1959. I was made to sit

outside the ward on a little bench which was not exactly a corrider, but like sitting at the top of the stairs. I can still

remember the brick walls. It was so quiet as well. The nurse or sister was horrified to find me there.

Ginney

Guest tsavo

I've reinstated the missing photo's from the start of this topic. Links now to Picture Sheffield.

I knew there would be a thread about this somewear on here. In the 80s my dad used to park in the car park on the site of this hospital and you could still see the details of stairs and basement rooms remaining in the rubble and I think the first floor of the front facade. I asked what used to be there and he told me about the hospital. Good to see pictures of it, victorian buildings are always so impressive.

I seem to be better going backwards than forwards !!

From 1908 Sheffield Guide

In 1828 a ” Self-supporting Dispensary ” was

first established in Sheffield. In an account of the

"Sheffield Public Hospital and Dispensary" by that

authority on "Old Sheffield" the late Mr. Arthur

Jackson, published in 1894, no mention is made of

the situation of this institution ; but in 1832 a reconstituted

"Dispensary" was established in Tudor

Place. These premises soon proving inadequate,

a private house was purchased in West Street and

converted into more or less suitable quarters.

Here the work of a Dispensary, without beds, was carried

on until 1857, when it was proposed to add to it a

hospital . Mainly through the exertions of the late

Dr. J. C. Hall this was effected, and the "Public

Hospital and Dispensary" with 61 beds, was opened

in 1860. It was further enlarged and re-opened,

with 105 beds, in 1870.

In 1890 it was decided to entirely rebuild the Hospital, the late Mr. Bernard

Wake assisting the project very actively. The first

installment, including the Out-patient Department

and some new wards, was opened, and the foundation

stone of a Nurse’s House laid, in 1895, by their Royal

Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of York, now

Prince and Princess of Wales. It was on this occasion

that the title of the hospital was changed to

the "Shefield Royal Hospital."

The completion of the re-building scheme only awaits the attainment

of sufficient funds to carry it out. an appeal for which is now before the Public.

Guest skeets

The Royal Hospital in 1932

A short film about life in the hospital, narrated by Tony Capstick

(TRT 3:57)

YouTube

HI STEVEHB I thought l was going to see myself on that clip of the Royal Hospital, l had my tonsils and anedoits out in this hospital in 1932 l was in the Bernerd Wake ward for two weeks . Skeets

Evening all,

I think this is going to be a big ask to be honest, but here goes.

I am trying to find plans of the old Royal Hospital that show where A&E was, Emergency wards, Surgery wards and also Littlewood Ward, Norfolk Ward, Edgar Allen Ward, Keeling Ward & Pye-Smith Ward.

Said it was a good one didnt i ?

Some clues here

the "Nurses' Home," whose front is towards Eldon-street.

1897. The administrative block, which will form a considerable portion of the main facade ie building in West-street, is now in course of construction. This block contain the principal entrance, secretary's office, elevator for patients, kitchens, &c

a central block containing five wards was opened

1922 saw the purchase of the Mount Zion Chapel on Westfield Terrace which was converted to an Outpatients Department for £9,000. It was formally opened in 1927 by the future Prime Minister Mr Neville Chamberlain

Thanks again to Chris Hobbs website.

This great information and I thank you so much. Quite a difficult one this one TBH as you say, but I am sure that we wil get there

Evening all,

I think this is going to be a big ask to be honest, but here goes.

I am trying to find plans of the old Royal Hospital that show where A&E was, Emergency wards, Surgery wards and also Littlewood Ward, Norfolk Ward, Edgar Allen Ward, Keeling Ward & Pye-Smith Ward.

Said it was a good one didnt i ?

I can only help a little. The main entrance for A&E was down the road to the left. Just on the left edge of the picture. As you went in past a small reception on the left three was a crossroad in the coridor, walking straight on and through a large heavy door was A&E. The room was quite large and square/ish with probably about 50 or so wooden chairs all facing the front. The front was on the left side as you entered the room. In the centre at the front was the A&E reception desk.

I remember being in the ophthalmic ward for eye surgery aged 7, successfully performed by Miss Hathaway - a very rare female surgeon of the era.

These days it would have been be done as a day case but I stayed for about a week and have warm memories of the Royal nurses as incredibly kind and friendly.

I remember going there, down the side of the building to A&E in 1974, when I came off my bike, for a broken scaphoid (it was explained to me that this was a triangular shaped bone in the wrist connection to the hand) which could be clearly seen on the x ray. I was plastered up from hand to elbow for 2 months and my hand was set open, ideal for holding a pint, but no good for holding a pen, and I had just started a course at the Polytechnic! I had to learn to write left-handed and still have my scrawly notes somewhere....

• Like 1