Channing Hall, Surrey Street

SteveHB

I was in the town center this week and got approached by one of those very nice market research ladies. :mellow:

After agreeing to participate in some research I was asked to go with her to a nearby building,

Channing Hall and just by a stroke of luck I had a camera in my pocket.

The hall, and the shops beneath, are owned by the Upper Chapel, a Unitarian Church situated behind the hall, just off Norfolk Street & Norfolk Row. Channing Hall was opened in 1882 and named after the American Unitarian Minister William Ellery Channing, the entrance to the hall is of Italianate design and somehow reminded me of entering a swimming baths.

• Like 1

I've been in there once.....we had to watch a trailer for a Wallace and Gromit movie then my son and I were given a bar of chocholate (between us!!) and were told to get out.

I had my camera that day too but wasn t clever enough to remember to take some shots!

Guest Trefcon

a brilliant Sheffield gem, i was in there photographing the War Memorials in the top hall and the chapel, amazing what we have in Sheffield if we look.

Dean.

On 03/04/2008 at 17:58, SteveHB said:

I was in the town center this week and got approached by one of those very nice market research ladies. :mellow:

After agreeing to participate in some research I was asked to go with her to a nearby building,

Channing Hall and just by a stroke of luck I had a camera in my pocket.

The hall, and the shops beneath, are owned by the Upper Chapel, a Unitarian Church situated behind the hall, just off Norfolk Street & Norfolk Row. Channing Hall was opened in 1882 and named after the American Unitarian Minister William Ellery Channing, the entrance to the hall is of Italianate design and somehow reminded me of entering a swimming baths.

post-188-1207240847_thumb.jpgpost-188-1207240972_thumb.jpg

post-188-1207241045_thumb.jpgpost-188-1207241116_thumb.jpg

post-188-1207241193_thumb.jpg

Beautiful photographs, I too have been in the hall for numerous surveys.

Does anyone know what the building was used for?

Are there any old photos of it?

It is truly a stunning building that deserves more recognition and to be used for more than a hall to hold sureveys!

I remember Channing Hall in the early 80’s, when there always used to be a ‘Clearance Sale’ of electronic goods, lighters, watches, that kind of stuff, which had billboards that used to entice you off Fargate. WHAT A LOAD OF TAT IS WAS! I remember  being suckered in several times and having a wander around, thinking “do they think we’re stupid or what”, before walking out, with my hard-earned still intact..... nice building though..... :)

It was regularly used by street questionnaire/public opinion  survey merchants. I went in with the promise of sampling a new beverage. It was bl**dy awful and I never , ever saw it being sold in shops.